View Poll Results: Should the Raptors change their name?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 30.65%
  • No

43 69.35%
Page 10 of 26 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Raptors Republic Rookie LateBoomer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    Well then I guess it actually comes down to opinion, because I love the Indiana jerseys
    Just trying to illustrate a point,
    fans buy jerseys mostly because of its historical significance to them, and not just for its aesthetic value.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I think Leiweke has seriously overestimated the size of the "Canada-wide fanbase", in order to justify what he thinks is Canada's team.

I mean, other than the odd fan or two out west, how much do they really care about the Raps? And would they care any more than they did before if the name was changed to something more nationally observed?

EDIT: I don't mean to offend whatever fans from the west are out there, because there's no question they exist. I'm just pointing out that there is much less popularity IN GENERAL, compared to the GTA/southern Ontario.
    Last edited by isaacthompson; Mon May 27th, 2013 at 06:17 PM.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

3. Like Letter N liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie LateBoomer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Personally, I think Leiweke has seriously overestimated the size of the "Canada-wide fanbase", in order to justify what he thinks is Canada's team.

I mean, other than the odd fan or two out west, how much do they really care about the Raps? And would they care any more than they did before if the name was changed to something more nationally observed?
    l am one of those western fans,
    and l don't care what they do or don't do with the name/jersey or whatshit,
    as long as the team becomes competitive and relevant l will continue to support them.

Post Thanks / Like

EDIT: I don't mean to offend whatever fans from the west are out there, because there's no question they exist. I'm just pointing out that there is much less popularity IN GENERAL, compared to the GTA/southern Ontario.
    Also speaking as one of those western fans, who transplanted from Toronto, I think the bigger problem is the lack of media pickup about basketball in general out this way. Without any local teams, it's hard to grow support. I think the idea of the Raptors being a 'Canadian' team is way overblown. If the Raptors were successful, I think you'd see all of Canada rally behind them (similar to what happens during NHL playoffs with 'all' Canadians supporting the last Canadian team standing), but they aren't the 'hometown' team just because they're the only Canadian team.

As for the jerseys, I think they have nothing to do with growing a fanbase. Success and popularity will, but the look of the jersey will do little beyond drive jersey sales to casual fans.

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer Matt52's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I disagree.

My experience in Eastern Canada is there is a very knowledgeable and active NBA fan base. Most of those fans, again in my experience, are not Raptor fans.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

7. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When speaking about us West fans of the Raptors, agreed, a lot of basketball people and fans say I'm crazy, and tell me to forget about the Raptors. Most are general basketball fans, with the couple one or two fans in different districts of a city

Talking about a basketball fan in general? Strongly disagree. There is a huge fan base of basketball whether it be NBA, NCAA (seems to be Canadian basketball fans LOVE NCAA basketball), in the West side.

P.S. I realize you are speaking on behalf of Raptors fans, just pointing this out.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    I disagree.

My experience in Eastern Canada is there is a very knowledgeable and active NBA fan base. Most of those fans, again in my experience, are not Raptor fans.
    I was being Raptor specific in original post...probably should've made that clearer.
    Writer for RaptorsWatch.com

Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote LateBoomer wrote: View Post
    Just trying to illustrate a point,
    fans buy jerseys mostly because of its historical significance to them, and not just for its aesthetic value.
    hm, well I'd have to disagree. Take a look at the Brooklyn Nets and what they have accomplished in such a short time due to their clever marketing.

Here's an article that came out today coincidentally: http://www.netsdaily.com/2013/5/27/4...nding-the-nets

They settled on black as a primary color after finding out a nontraditional black jersey for Chicago Bulls star Derrick Rose outsold a regular home jersey for Miami Heat star LeBron James
    The black Rose jersey eh? You mean the one they wear 10 times all season? Well why don't the red ones sell as well then? I mean, they're definitely more historically well known and established right?

Answer: Because they look cooler.

Post Thanks / Like

So to summarize: Yes, your team's aesthetic appearance really does matter in not only the financial standpoint.

But if a team REALLY wants to be successful, they must capitalize on the bandwagoner population, and this is done by looking attractive. Ex: Nets, Sonics, Heat, Warriors, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

I was being Raptor specific in original post...probably should've made that clearer.
    I might have misinterpreted.

I thought you were saying there weren't NBA fans outside GTA/Southern Ontario.

I think Leiweke meant he wants to convert the Canadian NBA fans in to Raptor fans first and foremost.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am from southern ontario... and nobody cares about the raps and pretty much basketball in general. But people love cheering for a winner, if the raps were the pacers, a lot of peeps from southern ontario would be watching that series. especially since the leafs have been eliminated (i think.)
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, just had a chance to go through this thread. Sounds like a number of people would be happy with a name that would be Canadian + bad-ass intimidating. Here it is....

The Sasquatch.

Tall, powerful, intimidating and uniquely Canadian.

Lebron: Hey D-Wade, who do we play next?
    D-Wade: The Sasquatch.
    Lebron: WTF?!! The Sasquatch? For real?
    D-Wade: Yep. You know.
    Lebron: Uh, I feel some flu-like symptoms coming on. Tell Spo' I'm a scratch.

15. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote golden wrote: View Post
    Ok, just had a chance to go through this thread. Sounds like a number of people would be happy with a name that would be Canadian + bad-ass intimidating. Here it is....

The Sasquatch.

Lol so we would be Toronto The Sasquatch?

Raptors Republic Rookie RAPTORNATION's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Toronto squatches

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

the Toronto Squashes?
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sasquatch.

Too bad Sasquatches are make belief
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    hm, well I'd have to disagree. Take a look at the Brooklyn Nets and what they have accomplished in such a short time due to their clever marketing.

Here's an article that came out today coincidentally: http://www.netsdaily.com/2013/5/27/4...nding-the-nets

The black Rose jersey eh? You mean the one they wear 10 times all season? Well why don't the red ones sell as well then? I mean, they're definitely more historically well known and established right?

Answer: Because they look cooler.
    There's correlation but is there causation?

This research would only work if you were to compare a new players home jersey in white, to that same new players alternate jersey in black. In fact to truly get the experiment to have no outside factors both the home and the alternate jersey would have to be introduced for the first time.

If Derrick Rose has played for 3 seasons that means that D. Rose fans have already bought the home jersey and possibly even the road red jersey, as well they may have white and red jersey's of other players on the team so buying an alternate colour jersey would make sense to them. Take away all these factors and then and only then would you know correctly if people prefer buying black jersey's over coloured ones.

Raptors Republic Rookie RAPTORNATION's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    Too bad Sasquatches are make belief
    magic and wizards are make believe and raptors are extinct
    and I believe in some kind of squatch whether it be big foot or a yeti, its out there and its vicious

Post Thanks / Like

The Sasquatch.

Quote tucas wrote: View Post
    Lol so we would be Toronto The Sasquatch?
    Quote RAPTORNATION wrote: View Post
    The Toronto squatches
    Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    the Toronto Squashes?
    No no no no no

The Sasquatch of Toronto.
    Tim Leiweke

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Toronto Tornadoes... I know... not...
    #FREE

Thread Information