View Poll Results: Should the Raptors change their name?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 30.65%
  • No

43 69.35%
Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

The Toronto Tankers?

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why don't we just forget this whole "Toronto" thing, and just name our team Air Aaron?
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Rookie RAPTORNATION's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I just want something that is big, hairy, and terrifying. Grizzlies fits but its taken and we can top it. I like toronto squatches, yetis, timber giants, woodmen, hairy men, bigfeet, abominable snowmen, etc. I feel as if the list is endless

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote RAPTORNATION wrote: View Post
    I just want something that is big, hairy, and terrifying. Grizzlies fits but its taken and we can top it. I like toronto squatches, yetis, timber giants, woodmen, hairy men, bigfeet, abominable snowmen, etc. I feel as if the list is endless
    Winner.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    No no no no no

The Mighty Sasquatch of Toronto.
    Fixed it for you. Leweike is trying to brand across Canada, so.....

The Molson Sasquatch.

Doesn't get more Canadian than that, eh? (uh..., except that Coors owns Molson... lol).

Arse: you can reserve that domain now and I want my cut. lol.

Raptors Republic Rookie RAPTORNATION's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Think jack links would sponsor us?

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Should the Raptors change their name??

Just want to see everyone's opinion. My opinion, i think it's a bad idea. I said this before, the name Raptors is one of the most unique name in sports. It's bad ass. And changing the name is like starting all over again. Raptors have been in the league for 18 years. They have some history.

Instead of re-branding the name or changing the colours or whatever, what they really need to re-brand is the PRODUCT ON THE COURT.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No Raptors imo is an awesome name will be more awesome when they are a good team, its quite fearsome. Also Raps rolls off the tongue.

Raptors Republic Veteran rocwell's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No way. I like Raptors name. :O

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

A change in the name of the franchise won't make free agents want to come here more. I see no point in it. Don't waste time changing the name! Spend more time building a winning culture here! That is is what will attract free agents here and restore the credibility of the franchise! Not some name change.

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not that i love the name Raptors, its more i have no problem with it, and they have been my team since 1995. It would be too weird to call them something else.

12. Like Sig liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A good point that was made on TBJ: if the Raptors change their name, we lose the NBA's best mascot.

I honestly don't think the name is an issue that needs to be addressed. When the team starts winning, the league wide perception of the name changes for the better. Winning changes everything. Like with the early 2000s, the team was bad ass and the name worked well with it. Not to mention, one of the most sold jerseys ever has "Raptors" written across the chest (Vince Carter's).

I must say that the uniforms are so generic they couldn't do any name justice.

Post Thanks / Like

I like raptors. Don't mess with it. Especially if the alternative is Huskies. How would you distinguish that from Timberwolves? Seems like a lot of overlap. And really, that is not a franchise I wan to emulate.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

as much as i like the huskies blue and white uniforms, which coincide with the blue and white colours of the other toronto teams except the soccer team, i think the raptors are ok. and they are distinguishing themselves as canada's nba team, hence the red,white,black colours. and i find the raptors name much cooler than the likes of pelicans, bobcats, thunder. bringing back the purple jerseys would be awesome.

16. Like Sig liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

so someone tell me about peoples fascination with the huskies
    in a way i can understand it was "the first", but they were also a failed team that lasted all of one season

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    so someone tell me about peoples fascination with the huskies
    in a way i can understand it was "the first", but they were also a failed team that lasted all of one season
    this. Sentiments, nothing more..

the only problem with raptors is that people can name it craptors, as they are failing since god knows when. Well, but that's not a big deal, I believe in Tim and Ujiri, and yes, I was aware of BC's bs and recognized that as good marketing skills, the only reason I respect him is because he drafted JV. He's a good guy though.
    #FREE

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

While we've gotten used to the name Raptors and are probably attached to the team by it's name, I dislike the name as much as I always have. They went with the fad of the time 'Jurassic Park' and nothing else. Huskies sounds better but I'd personally prefer a two word name only because the Maple Leafs and Blue Jays, both have two words.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Why does everyone think the Huskies is a good name? Huskies are not bad-ass. The name wouldn't even strike fear into a child lol

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The way I look at it was naming the franchise the Raptors was a mistake at the time, buying into the Jurassic Park hype. So, just because we've stuck with this bad decision for so long we should continue to stick with it? Doesn't make sense to me. It's like saying hiring BC was a mistake, but lets just keep him around since he's been here for so long. The name Raptors wasn't very good when the franchise started, and it's not very good now. All this "unique" talk is not a good reason to keep the name. The Rainbow Unicorns would also be a unique name but obviously not a very good one.

People like Huskies because it has history as one of the inaugural teams of the NBA, and also happens to be an animal commonly associated with Canada. It's my understanding that Raptors never even lived in Canada, and that in fact, the real Velociraptor was about the size of a turkey and covered in feathers. So we basically have a fictional animal as our mascot due to a poor understanding of the fossils at the time.

As for differentiating between Huskies and Timberwolves, I think that's pretty easy. Just look at the existing Huskies jersey's and you'd be hard pressed to confuse that with any Timberwolves gear. It's like saying the Suns and Heat are too close, or the Magic and the Wizards. In reality, no one is confused by it.

If we don't want to go the Huskies route, I think an Owl makes sense. We could go with Great Owls if we wanted to stick with the two word names. Owls are common to all of Canada, and are the official bird of 3 provinces. They are also very intelligent skilled predators. I also can't think of any other pro or college teams that use Owls as their mascot (at least not anything remotely popular).

Or they could go with some sort of non-animal name. I find those teams tend to be the most popular (Lakers, Heat, Nets, Knicks, etc...) and also appear to be the norm in the NBA (only 8 teams are named after animals). Perhaps Regiment or Guard, which are terms used much more commonly in Canada than the US. I'm just spit balling here and I'm sure you guys can come up with a bunch more non-animal names that are relevant to Canada.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    The way I look at it was naming the franchise the Raptors was a mistake at the time, buying into the Jurassic Park hype. So, just because we've stuck with this bad decision for so long we should continue to stick with it? Doesn't make sense to me. It's like saying hiring BC was a mistake, but lets just keep him around since he's been here for so long. The name Raptors wasn't very good when the franchise started, and it's not very good now. All this "unique" talk is not a good reason to keep the name. The Rainbow Unicorns would also be a unique name but obviously not a very good one.

People like Huskies because it has history as one of the inaugural teams of the NBA, and also happens to be an animal commonly associated with Canada. It's my understanding that Raptors never even lived in Canada, and that in fact, the real Velociraptor was about the size of a turkey and covered in feathers. So we basically have a fictional animal as our mascot due to a poor understanding of the fossils at the time.

As for differentiating between Huskies and Timberwolves, I think that's pretty easy. Just look at the existing Huskies jersey's and you'd be hard pressed to confuse that with any Timberwolves gear. It's like saying the Suns and Heat are too close, or the Magic and the Wizards. In reality, no one is confused by it.

If we don't want to go the Huskies route, I think an Owl makes sense. We could go with Great Owls if we wanted to stick with the two word names. Owls are common to all of Canada, and are the official bird of 3 provinces. They are also very intelligent skilled predators. I also can't think of any other pro or college teams that use Owls as their mascot (at least not anything remotely popular).

Or they could go with some sort of non-animal name. I find those teams tend to be the most popular (Lakers, Heat, Nets, Knicks, etc...) and also appear to be the norm in the NBA (only 8 teams are named after animals). Perhaps Regiment or Guard, which are terms used much more commonly in Canada than the US. I'm just spit balling here and I'm sure you guys can come up with a bunch more non-animal names that are relevant to Canada.
    What history exactly? their LONE season in the Basketball Associations of America where they posted a record of 22-38?

Great history. Definitely something to be proud of.

What i find hilarious when people talk about the 'history' of the Toronto Huskies is that they talk like they were the Lakers or the Celtics of the 40's. Like they were a powerhouse team. The Huskies only played ONE season in the BAA or Basketball Associations of America and posted like a said a record of 22-38. Last in the division.

I'm not really sure what 'history' you guys are talking about. Because there's no such thing.
    Last edited by TRex; Sun Jun 9th, 2013 at 08:01 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 ... LastLast

Thread Information