View Poll Results: Should the Raptors change their name?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 30.65%
  • No

43 69.35%
Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Raptors Republic Starter Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    What history exactly? their LONE season in the Basketball Associations of America where they posted a record of 22-38?

Great history. Definitely something to be proud of.
    That's still history. There is a reason Raptors wear them on throwback night. If they had great history then they never would have been out of the NBA and we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now. It's not like the name Raptors has a great history, it's actually a pretty depressing and embarrassing history. We have a name reminiscent of the Mighty Ducks, a poorly thought out name based on a popular movie at the time and geared towards children.

Another possible team name could be the Imperials. That was a CFL team name way back in the day from Sarnia. Sounds a lot better than Raptors to me. Again just spitballing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    That's still history. There is a reason Raptors wear them on throwback night. If they had great history then they never would have been out of the NBA and we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now. It's not like the name Raptors has a great history, it's actually a pretty depressing and embarrassing history. We have a name reminiscent of the Mighty Ducks, a poorly thought out name based on a popular movie at the time and geared towards children.

Another possible team name could be the Imperials. That was a CFL team name way back in the day from Sarnia. Sounds a lot better than Raptors to me. Again just spitballing.
    The Raptors history is 100x better than the Huskies 1 year history i can tell you that.

Anyhow, re-branding to me is completely unnecessary. A marketing gimmick in my opinion. They need to forget about all that. What they need to do is start winning basketball games.
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Change the name if only if it's BETTER than the Raptors. No way we bring back Huskies, put culture, history aside Huskies just sound weak. I think Raptor should change the name to something like for example: Montreal Canadiens-Habs. NOT the name of Canadiens, but the name of "Habs" it's really unique and reflects great history and culture also Habs means Les Habitants which is French. OR Quebec Nordiques also a great example.

Bottomline, Raptors should change their name into something unique, historical and cultural. Please no Huskies, no beaver and no moose.

Raptors Republic Starter connected's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We should should rename ourselves (the) Toronto Winters

Need I remind you "Winter is coming"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Why does everyone think the Huskies is a good name? Huskies are not bad-ass. The name wouldn't even strike fear into a child lol
    Huskies are bad-ass, bro! What are you on?! They live in the mother fuckin' arctic, they navigate through insane blizzards, they eat each other for fuck sakes!
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Raptors Republic Rookie Huskies's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's pray that this might be the beginning of the end to the long nightmare for Canadian basketball fans. As for the name change, good. It was spawned because it was trendy due to the movie Jurassic Park and it really has no connection to either Toronto or Canada in anyway. Was always a dumb name in my opinion and will always remain a dumb name. I'd much prefer the Toronto Huskies. Celebrate the fact they were the first NBA (BAA at the time) team, and at least the name has some connection to Canada.

The only people who want to see the name retained are little kids who think it's cool to name a team after a dinosaur, which by the way looks nothing like a REAL raptor and look at all the other Toronto team names...they have class. Argonauts, Blue Jays, Maple Leafs...Huskies would be a nice fit, plus it's blue & white to match the city colours.

And what's all this "history" of the Raptors to be proud about? Yeah the Huskies had one bad season and folded. The Raptors have had multiple bad seasons and the only real "success" we had was under Vince Carter, a whining cry baby who wanted out of Toronto and screwed us over in quite frankly the worst trade in NBA history. Is that the history you're all proud about? Let's not forget to mention the number of players who have not wanted to sign with Toronto due to the fact "it's in the arctic" or because some players kid didn't want his children learning the metric system? And who could forget that silly Euro experiment which failed miserably.

That's the Raptors history in a nutshell...the name change is a fresh beginning. The Winnipeg Jets are not the original jets mind you (Phoenix Coyotes are the original Jets) but Winnipeg still renamed themselves the Jets.

Toronto Huskies > Toronto Raptors any day...
    Last edited by Huskies; Sun Jun 9th, 2013 at 09:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

8. Like Nilanka, Primer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

I want to keep the raptors name and change the jerseys back to purple. I don't want all the toronto teams to have the same colours; variation is good.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we can all agree that there a plenty of valid arguments for both sides.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Wolverines or bust. I don't want the mascot being a little puppy dog
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Huskies wrote: View Post
    Looks cool but the wolf head is from Game Of Thrones "House Stark" sigil of the dire worlf lol

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a sketch I drew up earlier today. I have no idea how to do graphic design so it's old school pen and paper for me. If anyone knows how to convert it into a graphic design -- eliminate the noise from the shading/coloring, holla at me.

Why is the picture sideways? Oh man, I'm such a laggard
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

^ Did you create your account simply to advocate the change to "the Huskies" ? lol It's shitty history, no one besides Raptor fans even knows anything about the name. It was the BAA, in the 40's, they were a shitty team. So shitty and insignificant that the team folded in one year.

Come on bro. L.A. has no lakes but I don't hear you complaing about the name the Lakers. Or the Knicks, (what the fuck is a Knick?). It doesn't matter what the connection is, plenty of team names have no cultural or historical significance. The Raptors is a legit name and it's a lot cooler than most other teams names. Not to mention our mascot is the fuckin' man.

16. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahhh man, I should have quoted.

That was in response to Huskies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Huskies wrote: View Post
    I like those jerseys. Much better than the current ones. A lot classier too. I'd be happy if that was the change.

Raptors Republic Superstar Mack North's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for no name change, but after doing so I did some research on what an actual Raptor was... I've come out quite disappointed. Here's one summary: http://dinosaurs.about.com/od/typeso.../a/raptors.htm

I still like the Raptors name, and like the fact of keeping with tradition, but wouldn't be opposed to a name change. I'd really just like to see Blue and White colors.
    Keep Calm & Chive On

Post Thanks / Like

Raptor is short for Velociraptor. It's the gnarliest dinosaur besides the T-Rex. And Toronto has enough Blue and White already. We can be a little more original.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Raptor is short for Velociraptor. It's the gnarliest dinosaur besides the T-Rex. And Toronto has enough Blue and White already. We can be a little more original.
    Velociraptors were like vicious turkeys. The dinosaurs portrayed as Velociraptors in Jurassic Park were really Deinonychus. Kind of adds to the reasons a name change wouldn't be so bad.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors is one of the coolest names in the NBA! Whoop-dee-doo-dah if it happened to be derived from a 20-year-old movie. (which was pretty damn good for its time if you don't remember...) As far as I'm concerned, the criteria for what qualifies as a good name are as follows: "Does it sound badass? Can you make a badass logo out of it? And, does it end with an 's'"? Case in point.

I would like to see some purple re-introduced to the pallette. Original jerseys were too cartoonish for a pro team, but I think something red/black with purple as an accent would be really unique.
    Last edited by jrdyck; Mon Jun 10th, 2013 at 02:30 AM.

Thread Information