View Poll Results: Should the Raptors change their name?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 30.65%
  • No

43 69.35%
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    This thread is about rebranding. Everyone with your "clever" "The only brand I wanna see changed is the winning on the court" has no fucking bearing on the branding (e.g. Team name, colors, jerseys) so stop already. We are all perfectly aware that changing the team name or colors will have no effect on the on-court play. The idea of rebranding is basically to sell more merch. Please keep that in mind before you start with another clever rant about how it doesn't matter until we start winning. We've got like 35 of those posts already, don't need another.

Wolverines is a sweet name but not a good one for rebranding due to it's massive popularity as the Michigan mascot. Toronto is not going to steal that thunder. UConn is an infinitely less popular program so I don't see using Huskies confusing anyone, but I'll throw out some other ideas.

Owls (Snowy, Great, etc...)
    Regiment
    Guard
    Imperials
    Falls
    Towers
    Skyline
    Blizzard

I wish I could think of more non-animal names that are associated with Canada (or Toronto). As I noted earlier, only 8 teams in the NBA are named after animals and other than the Bulls they are all very unpopular. If we're making the change I'd like to shift away from animal names if possible.
    As a fan, why would you care about the team selling more merchandise? Do you think merchandise revenue will help this team in any way? The message to MLSE shouldn't be, "these are good name ideas" but rather that we dont care about your merchandise revenue, we want a winning team. Being against the name change is a strong message, "don't waste your resources doing things that don't help the team win". Suggesting names is a pointless activity unless you don't care about the product behind the packaging.

Post Thanks / Like

Ontario Trilliums. Yours to discover.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Post Thanks / Like

Canada Goose. Aquire a dleague team too, call it the goslings.

Post Thanks / Like

Bay St. Bankers. Monopoly man mascot.

Post Thanks / Like

Upper Canada Rebels. Get a team in Montreal too, call them the Lower Canada Voyageurs

Post Thanks / Like

Toronto Ice. Toronto Frost.

Post Thanks / Like

Toronto Tomahawks

Post Thanks / Like

Canada Loyalists

Post Thanks / Like

The Royal Canadian Basketball Team.

Post Thanks / Like

Primer, we know this is a Re-Branding thread, it say it right in the title. But it also says "Name change?" with the question mark, therefore allowing us to debate whether or not we think the team actually needs a name change and/or what that name change should be.

I'm pretty sure there is no rule that says a person cannot advocate keeping the name, because who fucking cares about merchandising?

11. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie Huskies's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    ^ Did you create your account simply to advocate the change to "the Huskies" ? lol
    Yes I did.

It's shitty history, no one besides Raptor fans even knows anything about the name.
    It's not anything better than the Raptors history and if nobody besides Raptors fans knows anything about the name, is that the end of the world for us? Oh wow...people in Chicago don't know about the Huskies. Seriously, is that really a cause of concern?

It was the BAA, in the 40's, they were a shitty team. So shitty and insignificant that the team folded in one year.
    You act like they were the only team that folded the season after when in fact before the season started, the Cleveland Rebels, Detroit Falcons, Pittsburgh Ironmen and Toronto Huskies all folded due to lack of attendance and massive losses.

Come on bro. L.A. has no lakes but I don't hear you complaing about the name the Lakers.
    The because Lakers began in 1948 as the Minneapolis Lakers and were purchased by new owners and moved to Los Angeles in 1960. Memphis moved from Vancouver and retained the Grizzles as well. They wanted to retain the name that's all. In that argument, Toronto should have retained the Huskies then right?

Post Thanks / Like

No, I'm a Blue Jays fan, but I don't mind the Leafs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    No offense. But that's an awful looking jersey. And the logo? yikes.
    That logo is based on the Canada Basketball logo. And this was just a proposal done by somebody, I don't fully like it, but it's a billion times better than what they have right now!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Huskies wrote: View Post
    You act like they were the only team that folded the season after when in fact before the season started, the Cleveland Rebels, Detroit Falcons, Pittsburgh Ironmen and Toronto Huskies all folded due to lack of attendance and massive losses.
    And how many of those teams are using the same name? NONE!

16. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious as to why you love that name so much

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The because Lakers began in 1948 as the Minneapolis Lakers and were purchased by new owners and moved to Los Angeles in 1960. Memphis moved from Vancouver and retained the Grizzles as well. They wanted to retain the name that's all. In that argument, Toronto should have retained the Huskies then right?
    The Lakers and the Grizzlies (and the Jazz for that matter) were the same franchise that moved.

The Huskies and the Raptors are 2 different franchises.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

19. Like Axel liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Primer, we know this is a Re-Branding thread, it say it right in the title. But it also says "Name change?" with the question mark, therefore allowing us to debate whether or not we think the team actually needs a name change and/or what that name change should be.

I'm pretty sure there is no rule that says a person cannot advocate keeping the name, because who fucking cares about merchandising?
    Man, I think you're totally lost. Rebranding is name change, name change is rebranding. You're talking about them like they're two different things when they're exactly the same. If we change the name, we have rebranded the team. In order to rebrand the team, we would need to change the name.

What I don't like are the responses from people who just say we have a shitty basketball team so we shouldn't worry about the team name. The rebranding is being done independently of the roster rebuild. Rebranding is just all a matter of would the team be more appealing from a merchandising standpoint if we changed things up. If you're like me and you think it would, then you're in favor of rebanding. It's that simple.

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to keep in mind is who buys basketball merch and why. I bought tons of basketball jerseys growing up. I only root for one team so why did I buy so many jerseys? I did so because I thought they looked cool. That's why most people buy merch of a team, because it looks cool. Do you think Ty Lawson was wearing a Raptors cap because he is a huge Raptors fan, or just because he thought it looked cool? It's obviously because he thought it looked cool (a good argument point for people in favor of keeping the name).
    It's my personal opinion that the Huskies jersey presented in this thread would sell way way more jerseys than the current Raptors jerseys. That's all the matters when rebranding, will more people buy more of our merch (jerseys, hats, shirts, etc...)?

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone actually know what a Wolverine looks like? It's even less cooler looking than our vicious turkey's. It looks like a badger.

Keep in mind, it can take down a bear...
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That logo is based on the Canada Basketball logo. And this was just a proposal done by somebody, I don't fully like it, but it's a billion times better than what they have right now!
    Not really. That Huskies logo is awful.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

24. Like Axel liked this post
Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information