View Poll Results: Should the Raptors change their name?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 30.65%
  • No

43 69.35%
Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally got a friend to fix up the earlier sketch I made & this is what we have right now ...

I personally really like the product -- it ties in the different elements of the Toronto Raptors; the city skyline, maple leaf & the dino. I hope it doesn't come off as too "busy" although I'm reconsidering changing the outside border color into (possibly black?). Let me know what you guys think.

“I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    What the heck? Why? Is this a joke?
    Upper Canada Rebels would be awesome. You don't like it?

Post Thanks / Like

The Rebels mascot would a lion called William. William Lion. Get it? He would always rant about our opponents and accuse them of being on cahoots with the family compact

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

4. Like Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quirk wrote: View Post
    Upper Canada Rebels would be awesome. You don't like it?
    Like the creativity, for lack of a better word. But it's just too damn unrealistic. I'd eat my phone before they change the location to Upper Canada.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Like the creativity, for lack of a better word. But it's just too damn unrealistic. I'd eat my phone before they change the location to Upper Canada.
    It's not as wacky as golden state. At least this region was once called that. Just think about the educational cross over potential. During breaks they could have a William Lion explain how a Canada burnt the formerly pink Whitehouse, which is why it needed s white washing and how it became white

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not as wacky as golden state. At least this region was once called that. Just think about the educational cross over potential. During breaks they could have a William Lion explain how a Canada burnt the formerly pink Whitehouse, which is why it needed s white washing and how it became white
    What?

First off, the Upper Canada Rebellion was a joke. Just like most of Canada's history. Glorified as some event that helped democratization..Not much of a rebellion if it took another 150 years to write our own constitution. What exactly is there to be proud of or celebrate about the rebellion? It didn't really have any impact on the country. The more significant rebellions happened in Lower Canada, which makes sense since the British colonial government was always worse to the mostly French occupied area. It was events there which actually prompted the actions that led to unifying the two territories. All Mackenzie did was get his panties in a twist and shout about it because the Lower Canada Rebellion gave him a nice opportunity.

Secondly, the White House burning had nothing to do with the Rebellion or William Lyon Mackenzie. William Lyon was actually quite pro-American and many reforms he wanted were of the sort that would emulate the USA. The White House burning happened two decades before the Rebellion. They are not related at all. William Lyon probably would have been very against hostilities toward the US.

Thirdly, Golden STate is hugely significant. It is a nickname based on one of the most important historical phenomena in the United States, the California Gold rush, which was critical in the settling of the West. IT had an immediate and lasting impact on the growth of the state and even the whole country. Did the Upper Canada Rebellion really have any impact on anything? I think NO would be the correct answer.

8. Like Bendit, RandomGuy liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Canada as we know it today did not exist at the time (1867). It was A British force with possibly some local militia help that did the WH thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burning_of_Washington

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    What?

First off, the Upper Canada Rebellion was a joke. Just like most of Canada's history. Glorified as some event that helped democratization..Not much of a rebellion if it took another 150 years to write our own constitution. What exactly is there to be proud of or celebrate about the rebellion? It didn't really have any impact on the country. The more significant rebellions happened in Lower Canada, which makes sense since the British colonial government was always worse to the mostly French occupied area. It was events there which actually prompted the actions that led to unifying the two territories. All Mackenzie did was get his panties in a twist and shout about it because the Lower Canada Rebellion gave him a nice opportunity.

Secondly, the White House burning had nothing to do with the Rebellion or William Lyon Mackenzie. William Lyon was actually quite pro-American and many reforms he wanted were of the sort that would emulate the USA. The White House burning happened two decades before the Rebellion. They are not related at all. William Lyon probably would have been very against hostilities toward the US.

Thirdly, Golden STate is hugely significant. It is a nickname based on one of the most important historical phenomena in the United States, the California Gold rush, which was critical in the settling of the West. IT had an immediate and lasting impact on the growth of the state and even the whole country. Did the Upper Canada Rebellion really have any impact on anything? I think NO would be the correct answer.
    Bang on. However you forgot to mention how awful the idea of explaining Canada's history during halftime is.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

History is history, regardless of some odd idea of importance. And it's Canadian history if it happened here, regardless of the status of Canada at the time. TL wants Canadian branding, this is it. William Lion will be the best mascot evet, get videocaberet to design the outfit with input from Michael Hollingsworth. It would be the most original branding ever. Go Rebels!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Jack and Leo hates the idea of a name change as well. I hope it doesn't happen.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Jack and Leo hates the idea of a name change as well. I hope it doesn't happen.
    Well, they're just going to have to get used to the new names, for jack, "grandpa munster" and for leo "lurch"

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone know why I can't post attachments? I had to resort to changing my avatar as a means to upload my little logo creation.

Either way, this is my vision for a Toronto Raptor logo -- incorporating the maple leaf, the Toronto skyline & the original raptor design (but removing the jersey ... which I thought was tacky).
    Last edited by torch19; Sun Jun 16th, 2013 at 07:03 PM.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

How about the Toronto Great Whites, it has duel purpose, the great white north and the great white sharks, who are a fierce creature!
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Jon_Wade wrote: View Post
    How about the Toronto Great Whites, it has duel purpose, the great white north and the great white sharks, who are a fierce creature!
    White Vegas

Post Thanks / Like

Here is some mascot inspiration for the graphic artists out there:

http://is.gd/0fqgAB

Only, as a Lion.

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The Toronto Tigers. There simple and it clicks

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote torch19 wrote: View Post
    Anyone know why I can't post attachments? I had to resort to changing my avatar as a means to upload my little logo creation.

Either way, this is my vision for a Toronto Raptor logo -- incorporating the maple leaf, the Toronto skyline & the original raptor design (but removing the jersey ... which I thought was tacky).
    You can't post attachments on here; just use photobucket or something similar.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    That's not a bad idea. It rolls off the tongue well. Tigers, while obviously not significant to Canada, are a really cool image. It doesn't quite step on Hamilton's toes in the CFL, and it probably doesn't matter that Detroit are called the Tigers since that's baseball.

Don't know if it'd be my favorite option, but I'm definitely ok with it being an option.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    I like the name.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Post Thanks / Like

One of Toronto's Australian Rules Football teams combines two of my proposals, called the "Toronto Rebels" using a Racoon logo, as I suggested for the Toronto Bandits:

http://work.michaelsheedy.com/core/u...s/rebels_1.png
    http://work.michaelsheedy.com/core/u...s/rebels_2.png

Tigers seems totally random and generic to me. Upper Canada Rebels would be way better. Toronto Bandits with a Racoon mascot/logo is pretty cool too.

Orange County Rebels Lacrosse team has a pretty cool logo:

http://ocrebelslacrosse.com/wp-conte...go-620x350.png

Also, this very Canadian logo for this ball hockey team:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Eed_VnT_7U...ebels+Logo.JPG

Upper Canada Rebels! Join the Rebellion!

Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information