View Poll Results: Should the Raptors change their name?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

19 30.65%
  • No

43 69.35%
Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 15 23 ... LastLast

Thread: Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted to keep the name. Just maybe change the design to something cooler. The claw isn't too bad imo. When you compare it to the pelicans or spurs..I mean who wears a spur on ther jersey?....Raptors isn't such a bad name.

Post Thanks / Like

i don't really care just make the unis look cool and come up with a better symbol
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Primer wrote: View Post
    That's still history. There is a reason Raptors wear them on throwback night. If they had great history then they never would have been out of the NBA and we wouldn't even be having this conversation right now. It's not like the name Raptors has a great history, it's actually a pretty depressing and embarrassing history. We have a name reminiscent of the Mighty Ducks, a poorly thought out name based on a popular movie at the time and geared towards children.

Another possible team name could be the Imperials. That was a CFL team name way back in the day from Sarnia. Sounds a lot better than Raptors to me. Again just spitballing.
    lmao. they wear the huskies uniform to sell tickets and merch to misguided people like you

Raptors Republic All-Star Primer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    lmao. they wear the huskies uniform to sell tickets and merch to misguided people like you
    What exactly do you think the point of rebranding is? It's to sell tickets and merch. So thanks for agreeing with me that a rebranding would result in increased ticket and merch sales.

Post Thanks / Like

If they want a new brand for this franchise, then I suggest the "Raptors that actual win games" cause that is the only branding I care about. Changing the name does nothing but give people reason to question the team (if I've cheer for the Raptors since '95, do I want to cheer for the Huskies or Honkies or whatever stupid generic name MLSE spits out).

Also, I think it is idiotic to change the colours to blue and white, regardless of the team name. This isn't the Toronto Maple Leafs. If you want to brand as Canada's team, then blue makes no sense. Red and white are the only colours on the flag, which coincidently are the colours on the team's jerseys now.

#SaveTheRaptors
    F*ck Brooklyn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Huskies wrote: View Post
    God awful. You must be a Leafs fan
    F*ck Brooklyn

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This Canada's team thing is crap.. I know that's what MLSE will want because it will make them richer. I would prefer that they go blue because that's what Toronto teams do.

It's easier to identify a team by the city (or state if it's a small state) they play in. I couldn't see myself looking at the Raptors as Canada's team.. Canada's team is going to be coached by Triano and I hope they have success, but why identify the Raptors as a national team? They are not the Canadian Raptors.. they are the TORONTO Raptors.

The Blue Jays, Leafs, Argos all wear blue.. therefore I would prefer the team colours be blue and white and not red and white.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    This Canada's team thing is crap.. I know that's what MLSE will want because it will make them richer. I would prefer that they go blue because that's what Toronto teams do.

It's easier to identify a team by the city (or state if it's a small state) they play in. I couldn't see myself looking at the Raptors as Canada's team.. Canada's team is going to be coached by Triano and I hope they have success, but why identify the Raptors as a national team? They are not the Canadian Raptors.. they are the TORONTO Raptors.

The Blue Jays, Leafs, Argos all wear blue.. therefore I would prefer the team colours be blue and white and not red and white.
    So why do the Raptors have to be blue? To follow all the great success of the Leafs and Jays? The Raptors are their own entity and need their own identity, lumping them in with all the other mediocre Toronto sports teams isn't going to help them become a winning brand.
    F*ck Brooklyn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    So why do the Raptors have to be blue? To follow all the great success of the Leafs and Jays? The Raptors are their own entity and need their own identity, lumping them in with all the other mediocre Toronto sports teams isn't going to help them become a winning brand.
    But the colour on the uniform is not going to help create a winning culture.. so why change it at all?

Branding is for marketing.. If I wanted the Raptors to make a sh!t load of money then I'd consider changing everything to try and get other people into the product too.

But I personally identify a team with the city they play in.. and when I think of Toronto sports I think the colour blue.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd stay away from blue as well. In a weird way, it would reinforce the idea that the Raptors are the Maple Leafs' little sister.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

11. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Yankees and Knicks both have blue but the blues are different.. I think it can still work such that the blue the Raptors wear is a different shade then the Leafs - just to create some separation.

However I would still prefer blue over red, green, purple, yellow, orange, black, etc.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Huskies wrote: View Post
    No offense. But that's an awful looking jersey. And the logo? yikes.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    No offense. But that's an awful looking jersey. And the logo? yikes.
    Despite me not being a fan of blue, I think these unis look sharp.

Not really feeling the logo though...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah let's be like every other sports team in Toronto. Just because.

Post Thanks / Like

And while we're ahead let's just give them hockey sticks and helmets to go with those jerseys

Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    But the colour on the uniform is not going to help create a winning culture.. so why change it at all?
    Branding is for marketing.. If I wanted the Raptors to make a sh!t load of money then I'd consider changing everything to try and get other people into the product too.

But I personally identify a team with the city they play in.. and when I think of Toronto sports I think the colour blue.
    I dont want them to change anything except the product on the court. I'd be fine with the old purple uniforms if it means they make the playoffs. I am 100% against a name change
    F*ck Brooklyn

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Raptors need to bring back the purple jerseys. Like the one on Mr. Z`s avatar. It`s a great jersey, and has more history than the Toronto Huskies.

That really is the only change i want to see them make. I am 110% against a name change. I think it would be disastrous.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I've said it many times...I just don't like the name Raptors, largely it comes from velociraptor, and only partly because the genesis of the team name has to do with a hollywood blockbuster. It's already been said in this thread...Raptors are hardly the dinosaur most people think...because the way they were portrayed in Jurassic Park was completely baseless. They mostly used information about other similar dinosaurs (bigger ones too, btw).

Velociraptors are basically scavenging turkeys with pointy claws. So basically, we're the Toronto Extinct Turkeys. That just doesn't fly with me (no pun intended). There's nothing about the current image, logo, and name that evoke anything special to anyone other than die-hard fans who would probably follow them even if their name was the Toronto Extinct Turkeys. What history and tradition? Mediocrity, poor management and shitty attempts to build around one all-star at a time? That's no tradition to be proud of. I am proud to cheer for the Raptors, but not because of their name or their tradition. Rather because they are Toronto's team. This would be true no matter what there name/image is, so why not change it to something with some meaning..or you know, where the image it conjures actually reflects the true meaning.....

My 2 favorite totally new names....
    -Wolverines....Canadian, bad-ass, could probably rip a real velociraptor to shreds given that they're notoriously ferocious animals that can take down larger prey (even Moose!), and fight off larger animals (even Polar and Grizzly bears!). Downside is two-fold. First that it also has a pop-culture image associated to it from the comic book character. Second that Michigan U uses the name (which is annoying since there are no wolverines in Michigan).
    -Mammoths....Sure, extinct...but at least it's heavily associated with North America, and the ice age. It conjures images of strength in the face of the harshest conditions without making a direct reference to winter or the North.

Also I am somewhat ok with keeping the same name, but totally changing the image. Raptor means bird of prey. So I see a legit option as trying to rebrand the team with the image of some kind of bird. The big problem there is the Atlanta Hawks. It would be hard to design logos/designs that are different enough. One idea is to pick the Owl, but keep the team name as Raptors. The Snowy Owl is one of the largest birds of prey on the continent and obviously mostly found in Canada. Canada's also home to falcons, eagles, hawks, etc...In fact....if they just wanted to call them Owls of some kind, I'd be cool with that. Canada is home to some pretty impressive owls.

Bottom line: I've disliked the name Raptors since they announced it as a choice. And I was an impressionable kid who liked Jurassic Park as a movie. I still thought it was fucking crazy. Makes no sense. At the time I would've taken any other option...Towers, Dragons..I don't care. Even Dragons, at least they could've milked two separate mythological interpretations of the animal to milk both Euro and East Asian groups.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon Jun 10th, 2013 at 02:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

So a comic book character influence is much better than a dinosaur movie reference. Gotcha.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote phez wrote: View Post
    So a comic book character influence is much better than a dinosaur movie reference. Gotcha.
    IT's not to refer to the comic book character. Google "wolverine animal"....The character was named after the animal, not the other way around.

*even then, at least the way the character is portrayed in the comic book is truer to the animal than the way raptors are portrayed in their movie.

It's all about having a name that actually means what it's fucking supposed to

Thread Information