No announcement yet.

Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any idea how long this re-branding should take? Like is Leiweke expecting changes by the start of next season?

Comment

Re-posting something I wrote from the 'BC is out' thread.....

It's hard to come up with something to represent all of Canada. They can't use Maple Leaf (and every sports fan who follow hockey outside of Toronto would never be able to cheer for them). Naming them something really obvious, like Moose, or Beavers, would really, I think, not get anyone that excited about them. They're not good sports teams names. There's a reason you don't see any major franchises in Canada sport those names. They're awful.

The Wolverine IS a very "Canadian" animal. They are more common in Canada than any other country, and perhaps the most unique predator in Canada. Most other animals in Canada make pretty dreadful sports symbols, or are not particularly unique.

-Birds? Ducks...Geese...Loons...Owls...Hawks (already taken)....really nothing special. Blue Jay is already taken.

-Mammals? Wolves too close to T'Wolves. Same goes for Huskies in terms of trying to create image...can you really make a logo that different from the Wolves. Coyotes not different enough or unique to Canada. Foxes...lame. Bears? Grizzlies fit well in Vancouver...sigh. Polar Bears are a nice symbol for the North...but I'm not sure it's the best way to brand the team, because anything too arctic-sounding just doesn't fit in basketball. Beavers? Again, see my "pussies" comment. Yes it's immature, but really, how mature are sports fans?

-Reptiles? What Reptiles? Same goes for amphibians. Naming Toronto the ____frogs or ___ lizards hardly seems right.

-Marine life? Might work if the team was on a coast...but naming them the Whales or some such just isn't right in Toronto.

-Insects? No name is better than Hornets, and that's taken.

-Plants??? Nothing is as much a symbol as the maple leaf. And that can't be used.

So I come back to Wolverines, and suggest that it presents a unique opportunity to rebrand the team. Again, they are a very "Canadian" animal. They also have the right character for a mascot, especially in a market that is somehow an afterthought in the NBA, since they are small opportunistic animals who are capable of taking down much larger ones. In addition, it has it's own colours since they're usually dark and gold/silver masked. So the team could maybe go with brown and gold jerseys? I think that would be pretty sweet.

The team has tried branding specifically for Canada with all this red nonsense, and putting maple leaves anywhere they can in images, logos, etc...I don't think they need a "Canadian image" as much as they need "an image Canada can get behind". For a country with an admitted inferiority complex with a passion for a gritty, somewhat violent game in Hockey, I honestly think choosing an animal/symbol like the Wolverine is a great place to start. Provide the national fanbase with a team that fits that style, which is possible building with a guy like Jonas, and a unique identity they feel fits them as the lone Canadian team fighting for it's place in the league.....

This started as a joke because of the X-Men character and how popular that movie was, as opposed to Jurassic park....

But the more I think of it, the more I want to see the Toronto Wolverines, with Brown and Gold colours. From animals and plants, I can't think of a better name. Again, a good symbol in terms of personality, and a good symbol to help create a new image.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue May 21, 2013, 01:55 PM.

Comment

The logo, name and jerseys are just fine. No need to change anything.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Toronto North.

True North Strong.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
            Give me some ideas for the name of the site so I can reserve the domain.
            Husky Republic might come off as a site for portly/chubby people. I can easily designate myself an admin there then.

Comment

I don't think they're talking about changing the name, colour and jerseys. Its more changing how they brand themselves and truly being "Canada's Team"

Comment

And to all those angry that we were named after a movie. One of the most revered groups in Hip-Hop was named after the movie Shaolin and Wu Tang. Can you guess the name of the group???

Comment

KaioKev wrote: View Post
                  And to all those angry that we were named after a movie. One of the most revered groups in Hip-Hop was named after the movie Shaolin and Wu Tang. Can you guess the name of the group???
                  So you think that Jurassic Park is a cult classic that can be watched over and over again and not a garbage blockbuster which I can't stomach more than 15 minutes of? Really? One is badass. One is corny. Let's pretend you never made this comparison.

Comment

"Go Bison!"

The Bison is a proud, mighty animal indigenous to Canada. The "Toronto Bison" wouldn't be a bad choice.

I think they should stick with red, white and black as their colors.

If not that, then blue and white as those are the Leafs colors and it would make sense to keep all in house clubs with a similar look under the MLSE brand.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                      So you think that Jurassic Park is a cult classic that can be watched over and over again and not a garbage blockbuster which I can't stomach more than 15 minutes of? Really? One is badass. One is corny. Let's pretend you never made this comparison.
                      So does this mean we're not going to the Jurassic Park 3-D premiere?

Comment

I still prefer the name RAPTORS. It's bad ass, and UNIQUE.

But if they really want to change name, how about this: Toronto North Stars.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

Hi,

As someone, who is involved in the discipline of brand strategy, my professional recommendation would be to keep particularly the name. As a rule of thumb, changing a brand's name is a very drastic measure and should be treated as the last resort. We could liken a name to the face, whereas a logo to the dress of an organization.

When an organization talks about branding, they might be referring to many different things -from cosmetics to internal change management. In this case, I think Leiweke refers to cultural and perceptual changes.

In case you want to read more on this subject, here are two articles I wrote about Raptors and branding. First one is about its brand strategy (3 years ago), and the second one is about its organizational culture (this year.)

http://soydanbay.com/2010/09/21/what...rand-strategy/

http://soydanbay.com/2012/12/18/syst...ronto-raptors/

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                            Anyone have any idea how long this re-branding should take? Like is Leiweke expecting changes by the start of next season?
                            Well MJ announced today his plan to rename Bobcats to Hornets and that is expected to be an 18 month process. Should the raptors decide to change their name/logo/jerseys, it'd likely be up to 2 years with all the changes. If there is no changes and only a logo/jersey change, it'd probably be midway through next season.

Comment

If they don't end up changing the name, the only thing I'm not a big fan of is the uniforms. They're so plain and boring. Bring back the old ones.

Comment

Don't change the name, it's unique. Just because the Raps are the only Canadian team doesn't mean we have to use Red and White as our colour. Change the colour back to purple and black our original colours

Comment

Working...
                                X