No announcement yet.

Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bring back the purple remove the red. Like half the NBA uses a red color scheme. Change the court design, DO NOT change the name.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      nope. time to whitewash this bitch. get rid of everything that will remind people of all those years of disappointment. raptors are yesterday. the maple syrup are the future.
      You're really sticking to your guns on this.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        The Bison is a proud, mighty animal indigenous to Canada. The "Toronto Bison" wouldn't be a bad choice.

I think they should stick with red, white and black as their colors.

If not that, then blue and white as those are the Leafs colors and it would make sense to keep all in house clubs with a similar look under the MLSE brand.
        The problem with all this is that there is already a team with a logo too similar to a bison AKA The Chicago Bulls, and The Huskies logo will be too similar to the Minni Timberwolves.

So we are stuck with the Raptors a CREATURE LONG EXTINCT!!! or we should just name the team after our new mayor shameful habit

"THE CRACKHEADS"

and here is our mascot:

Last edited by Hotshot; Wed May 22, 2013, 12:14 AM.

Comment

TDOTtillIDie wrote: View Post
          Bring back the purple remove the red. Like half the NBA uses a red color scheme. Change the court design, DO NOT change the name.
          id actually like to add in some evelution into the scheme. use a more modern green/brown feathered raptor as the logo. looks bad ass.

i think that as long as the nba regulates the logos fo the timberwoves and the huskies no problem or confusion will occur. as far as i can tell there are only huskie fans in one place and t-wolves fans in one place.

Comment

Keep the name. Chances are whatever it gets re-named to is gonna be even worse lol The Raptors is a fucking cool name.
            You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Toronto Raptors in my opinion is fine. A jersey change is DEFINITELY needed, very bland format, and colour isn't that appealing to the eye in my opinion.

Maybe get a bit of a high tech-y look, with a bit more layers on the side, and on the shorts, maybe get some cool, robotic looking font, than fill in the white, black, red, etc. Our jerseys and templates are way too general.
              Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                Keep the name. Chances are whatever it gets re-named to is gonna be even worse lol The Raptors is a fucking cool name.
                Agreed. I'm also a big fan of the logo like i said on my previous post.

As for the colors, actually i want to see them tweaked it up a BIT. Keep the color red. They want it to be more "Canadian" so keep it red. Make it a lot like the Indiana Hoosiers red and white jersey(google it). Tweaked it a bit, change the font. Great jersey.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

I'm telling you all....Toronto Wolverines.

-Being used by anyone? Only Michigan..don't think that's a real issue, though.
                  -Different enough from other NBA team names/mascots. Huskies is too close to T'Wolves (not to mention an even more popular college team name than Wolverines)...and while I like Bison and it's not exactly "Bulls", it might also seem a bit too similar to use.
                  -Symbol of Canada? Check. Wolverines are very Canadian.
                  -Good team symbol? Check. Strong animal, generally opportunistic, and extremely dangerous. Capable of taking down larger prey and defending kills against larger predators.

FWIW, I think a Wolverine (an animal reportedly able to take down a bear) would destroy a Raptor (a turkey with pointy claws) in single combat.
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Wed May 22, 2013, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Seriously though I realize it's just a name....

But I've NEVER liked the Raptors name. I remember being upset at the announcement that it would be the team name way back when. There are many other names I would prefer, including Huskies or Bisons...heck I'd take the Loons even to go for a Canadian symbol

Comment

I understand the idea, but we've had the name for such a long time and we have a huge fan base who associates with that brand

There is no one that says, "hey you know what would be better? if we were called the Bisons"...the fact is we've been too busy sucking for 15 years

I don't think that fans in other provinces will all of a sudden be that much more interested if we changed are name rather than if we just kept the Raptors name and won some games

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                        I understand the idea, but we've had the name for such a long time and we have a huge fan base who associates with that brand

There is no one that says, "hey you know what would be better? if we were called the Bisons"...the fact is we've been too busy sucking for 15 years

I don't think that fans in other provinces will all of a sudden be that much more interested if we changed are name rather than if we just kept the Raptors name and won some games
                        It's not about just getting new fans interested, it's about re-branding in the fullest possible way. If they want to shed a history of failure, disappointment and flat out incompetence, then it's not a bad idea to shed the name associated to it.

Even among the current fanbase (including myself), I don't have any warm feelings attached to this Raptors name, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I would be very very happy to see a change. I don't think you'd see fans go "oh, I can't cheer for them anymore because they're not the Raptors".

So it's not just about a new name being better/cooler or whatever the fuck. It's about a new name going with a new era, where hopefully results on the court are what matter the most (which has never been the case for the "Raptors"). It's about making people think twice when they reflect on failures of the past because of a larger psychological disconnect helped by the name change (and associated image/rhetoric shift). By creating that space between the eras, you can let fans both old and new let go of the troubled past.

Of course, like I said, it only really would matter if the new regime actually emphasizes a new approach that is supposed to lead toward winning, and not just being profitable.

Comment

I've always been a fan of the name, although I was still in public school when it was announced.

I'm wondering if it isn't just the raptors they are thinking of changing, but maybe the "Toronto" part as well? Golden State is a reference to California as opposed to San Fran or Oakland.

Although they would still be based out of Toronto, it would make it easier for them to play "Home" games in other Canadian cities (playing games in other cities is something the NBA seems to like to do lately, as evidenced by the regular season games played in the UK this year).

I don't know if they are, but to me changing the Toronto to Canada or a reference to canada seems like the only reason that would warrant a name change. Winning will get rid of all the negative things about the raptors, and do more to attract more Canadian followers than changing the name.

PREDICTION: MLSE won't change the name of the team unless they substitute toronto for a more pan-canadian location name (or abandon a location name altogether [if that's possible])
                          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I've always been a fan of the name, although I was still in public school when it was announced.

I'm wondering if it isn't just the raptors they are thinking of changing, but maybe the "Toronto" part as well? Golden State is a reference to California as opposed to San Fran or Oakland.

Although they would still be based out of Toronto, it would make it easier for them to play "Home" games in other Canadian cities (playing games in other cities is something the NBA seems to like to do lately, as evidenced by the regular season games played in the UK this year).

I don't know if they are, but to me changing the Toronto to Canada or a reference to canada seems like the only reason that would warrant a name change. Winning will get rid of all the negative things about the raptors, and do more to attract more Canadian followers than changing the name.

PREDICTION: MLSE won't change the name of the team unless they substitute toronto for a more pan-canadian location name (or abandon a location name altogether [if that's possible])
                            "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

The name doesn't bother me. I really like the red jerseys and the logo is fantastic (one of the best in the league I think). I hope to all that is holy they don't go back to anything purple (aside from the colour seeming less than 'manly', purple + dinosaur = childrens television)

What I really hope they do to 'rebrand' as Canada's team is find a way to player regular season games across Canada. And if they do get the all-star game in 2016, play it in Vancouver (or Montreal)

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                                The name doesn't bother me. I really like the red jerseys and the logo is fantastic (one of the best in the league I think). I hope to all that is holy they don't go back to anything purple (aside from the colour seeming less than 'manly', purple + dinosaur = childrens television)

What I really hope they do to 'rebrand' as Canada's team is find a way to player regular season games across Canada. And if they do get the all-star game in 2016, play it in Vancouver (or Montreal)
                                What? That's an awful idea. In the regular season, that would make a chunk of home games basically become road games. Traveling is already brutal enough in an NBA schedule. I'm totally fine with going to different cities for preseason games, but for the regular season I don't like it.

I'm cool with the all-star game idea though. Montreal and Vancouver are both great cities. Also a good way to present the NBA to Canada without forcefeeding people Raptors basketball.

Comment

Working...
                                X