No announcement yet.

Raptors Re-Branding: Name Change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder how the heck "Raptors" was introduced in the initial discussion for this teams' name.

Comment

Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
      I wonder how the heck "Raptors" was introduced in the initial discussion for this teams' name.
      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107290/?ref_=sr_1
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I actually think the "Raptors" is a great name. The problem is that we've branded the team with a velociraptor. Raptor means "bird of prey". It would be much easier for MLSE to change the mascot to a giant, evil looking bird. Kinda how Atlanta has for their hawks logo. It fits to the teams identity (hopefully)...aggressive, high flying, tactical, great eye sight (sorry Rudy). I love that the franchise stepped away from the Barney the dinosaur identity. I love that they didn't want to be like every other team in the city with blue and white colours. The red, black and white is proven somewhere in some study to be the most intimidating colour combination.

Things are on the up and up around here. And once this super team bullshit ends in a couple of seasons (fingers crossed with the destruction of this Miami cHeat) we can be a competitive force. Leiweke seems hell bent on getting us an all star game. Hopefully that gets us some US national exposure. When the snow bird Raptors will be a force!

Comment

japetas wrote: View Post
          Why everyone names their teams by animal names? What about a name - Toronto People? lol
          I assume the mascot would be like the Greendale Human Being?

Comment

I'm torn. I like the name "Raptors" a lot, but at the same time I do feel like it needs to pertain more to our history.

I think Huskies is the way to go on this one. It sounds really good, especially if you imagine it in an announcer's voice.
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Wolverine Republic. Hmm.... I'm not sure that would work.

Comment

Toronto Hangover
                Toronto Avengers
                Toronto Dark Knights
                Toronto Men of Steel
                Toronto Smurfs

Comment

I like how the Toronto Tigers sounds.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    Toronto Hangover
                    Toronto Avengers
                    Toronto Dark Knights
                    Toronto Men of Steel
                    Toronto Smurfs
                    I like them all, but how many of those could we incorporate a teal and black colour scheme?

Comment

• The Huskies sounds like a hockey team. A Canadian one. Besides huskies are just smaller and more timid wolves. Pussy-wolves. We don't need pussy-wolves.
                      You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

• Ladies and gentlemen please welcome your Toronto Pussy-Wolves

did a search on pussy wolves. actually a lot more pics then i thought there would be.

Z settled it. We're going with huskies.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          What? That's an awful idea. In the regular season, that would make a chunk of home games basically become road games. Traveling is already brutal enough in an NBA schedule. I'm totally fine with going to different cities for preseason games, but for the regular season I don't like it.

I'm cool with the all-star game idea though. Montreal and Vancouver are both great cities. Also a good way to present the NBA to Canada without forcefeeding people Raptors basketball.

I agree that playing games in different Canadian cities is not a good idea really...but changing the Toronto portion to something like Golden State has is effing brilliant (it just shouldn't be the "Canada Raptors").

It would be annoying at first, but that is a much more direct way of getting people's attention in Canada rather than switching us to a different animal

Comment

• BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                            I agree that playing games in different Canadian cities is not a good idea really...but changing the Toronto portion to something like Golden State has is effing brilliant (it just shouldn't be the "Canada Raptors").

It would be annoying at first, but that is a much more direct way of getting people's attention in Canada rather than switching us to a different animal
                            I find teams that use state names annoying, simply for the lack of consistency in the league. Do the Warriors represent the state of California, or just the city of Oakland? If the former, you've got an entire state facing the city of San Antonio? That seems odd.

That would be like team USA taking on the Wizards.

Comment

• BallaBalla wrote: View Post

But I just can't see that working? The Great Lakes Raptors? The True North Raptors? There is no actual name that I can think of that accurately depicts Canada or something Canadian, and also is a good basketball team name. Anything very "north" or "arctic" sounding is just going to further stigmatize the outside perception of the city.

Golden State was not chosen to represent all of California for the Warriors. It was chosen to avoid animosity between Oakland and San Francisco, and therefore be the team for both markets. This instead of fracturing the market, possibly inviting a competing team across the bridge, and both teams not doing as well because of it. Minnesota is also a good example of this, as naming it Minneapolis or St-Paul might alienate even a small amount of people in what is basically one market, but two towns. All Minnesota sports teams avoid city names to avoid this weird element of picking one city or the other.

The other teams that tend to do it are teams where they fully monopolize the state because they play in the only real city....Utah and Salt-Lake-City...Indiana and Indianapolis....also the states sound much better than the cities in both these cases.

Comment

• Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                                The Huskies sounds like a hockey team. A Canadian one. Besides huskies are just smaller and more timid wolves. Pussy-wolves. We don't need pussy-wolves.
                                lol

pussy-wolves

Comment

Working...
                                X