Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Gherardini?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Goodbye Gherardini?

So if Proli steps back, there is the scenario of hiring an iconic figure as president who can also be a basketball consultant – like Dino Meneghin or Dan Peterson – or a president/ general manager and the best man for this job is also Italian. Mauricio Gherardini is thinking about leaving Toronto Raptors and returning to Europe with Milano being his possible destination.

After the recent changes in the NBA team, Gherardini is on the verge of coming back in the old continent, he had already contacts with a Spanish club, but two Italians clubs can be his new home. The one is Milano and the other is one club that may be a rising power in the near future, Umana Venezia.

http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/05/dunks/26742

I can hear the sobs now.
    "You don’t know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't move the needle for me at all.

He seems to have disappeared since the bottom end of Bargnani's career has fallen out. Even before then, I'm not exactly sure what he really did for the organization outside of being a support figure during AB's initial stretch.

Post Thanks / Like

I honestly have no idea what he does. Seriously.

4. Like isaacthompson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It makes sense for him to go now. He is one of the most over hyped Raptors additions in recent years.

Flashback:

“We are thrilled to have a globally esteemed basketball executive like Maurizio Gherardini join the Toronto Raptors,” said Bryan Colangelo, president and general manager of the Raptors. “This is a ground breaking move for the league, appropriately with the NBA’s only true international franchise.”
    Source: Raptors.com

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

I've have not heard of him before. Not on my radar I guess....

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I understand he was a gourmand and could get a table at the best restaurants in Europe. BC appreciated this.

I kid....but may not be too far off from the truth.

Post Thanks / Like

If I remember correctly they sold him as a mastermind European GM who would open doors in Europe and help unearth players other teams might not be as knowledgeable about. It was at the beginning of the European wave that hit the Raptors.

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    If I remember correctly they sold him as a mastermind European GM who would open doors in Europe and help unearth players other teams might not be as knowledgeable about. It was at the beginning of the European wave that hit the Raptors.
    Yes that was basically it. Although we didn't do to badly internationally... calderon, garbo, and parker if you count him.

Edit: Although I have no idea to what extent you can place any of those players to Gheridini
    Last edited by ezz_bee; Thu May 30th, 2013 at 03:36 AM.
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Haven't heard his name come up in quite a while, but with Barg's almost out the door I'm not surprised. Seems like he was only here to be Andrea's personal handler.

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Yes that was basically it. Although we didn't do to badly internationally... calderon, garbo, and parker if you count him.

Edit: Although I have no idea to what extent you can place any of those players to Gheridini
    Calderon was Babcock's find.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post

In other words, he's done nothing since 2006. Got it
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe MLSE can use Gherardini's salary to hire a new in-house DJ? Not sure how much more Beyonce and Rihanna I can handle...
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe there was a close association between the Gherardini hire and the Bargnani pick....he may have even been the behind the scenes proponent for that pick. Regarding some of the euro players brought on I wonder how much influence Ujiri had...he was international scout around 06-07 and '10.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Gherardini in my opinion was the reason why we drafted JV. JV's buyout was a big issue for teams that passed on him (like Cleveland). Toronto despite the buyout went ahead and drafted him. Gherardini has ties in Europe and he may have been able to agree on a buyout for 1 year as opposed to 2 or 3.

I could be wrong, but I honestly believe that if Gherardini was not around then we would have drafted someone other than JV in the first round.

16. Like JStockton liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I could be wrong, but I honestly believe that if Gherardini was not around then we would have drafted someone other than JV in the first round.
    Kawhi Leonard would've been a nice consolation prize

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Kawhi Leonard would've been a nice consolation prize
    But Bismack Biyombo would not.....

Colangelo, though, truly showed the courage of his conviction. That stands even if the pick is a bust. It is easy to say before a draft that you are going to draft the best prospect available; it is harder to do when that means waiting longer for him than everybody else. (Bismack Biyombo, next on the Raptors’ board, also might have stayed in Europe for an extra year; he went seventh to Charlotte.)
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2011/...-of-nba-draft/

Like most people, I was skeptical about Jonas at first (just took sleeping on it to change my mind though) because I knew little about him. But man, if there was one player I was hoping the Raps wouldn't take, it was Biyombo. So glad that didn't happen.

Post Thanks / Like

It was Kemba and Leonard on my list....but like you, that's because I didn't know anything about Jonas pre-draft.

I remember someone on here saying that Biyombo would be as good as Dwight Howard :|

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It was Kemba and Leonard on my list....but like you, that's because I didn't know anything about Jonas pre-draft.

I remember someone on here saying that Biyombo would be as good as Dwight Howard :|
    Ditto on the bold.

And yeah, the Biyombo hype scared me to death. Every time I watched highlights my thought was that he's a 5 to 10 year project to be Ben Wallace in the absolute best-case scenario....so not worth a top 10 pick (or you know, top 30).

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember someone arguing with me that Biyombo will be better than JV... good times

Post Thanks / Like

And that is what gets lost on so many when talking draft picks. Their value and potential is maximized when the odds of them reaching it - for the majority - is very low.

Biyombo has shown to be a serviceable big at best thus far.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information