Raptors and Charlotte

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors and Charlotte

With the likely hiring of Ujiri I have been trying to think about what direction he will take the Raptors. We as fans, and critics, and pointed out regularly how the Raptors are up against the cap, without a high ceiling, and no draft picks. This isn't to say that the team doesn't have skilled players or are hopeless, but a critique of the construction.

Ujiri seems to have displayed a focus on fiscal responsibility and use of assets during his time in Denver (as shown in his trading of Nene and Afflalo). If he were to move in a similar direction I could see Gay being a potential trade piece.

Charlotte is another team I'm simply not sure of their direction. Cho has talked about building through the draft, Jordan has talked about wanting to speed up the process, and I remember reading awhile ago that their scouts were recommending a trade of their 2013 pick.

So...how is this value?

Toronto trades: Rudy Gay and Quincy Acy, 2015 Second Round Pick

Charlotte trades: Ty Thomas, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, and 2013 First Round Pick

Why for Raptors:
    Move a talented but questionable fit in Gay, to acquire a young SF with a high motor and good potential. They also move into range to draft a guy like Anthony Bennett. Thomas is merely the cost of doing business and will simple sit on a different bench now.

Why for Charlotte:
    Gay automatically becomes their best player and gives their fans some hope. He has the potential to be a 2A level player in the league and raises the profile for the Boncats/Hornets. They also receive a decent depth piece in Acy and a future 2nd round pick. Kidd-Gilchrist and a first are a lot to give up, but they also unload the albatross that is Thomas to help balance the trade.

Thoughts?
    http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Jordan would laugh at this deal and hang up on the phone, giving away a potential allstar defensive player in MKG, bad contract in Tyrus Thomas (not much of a deal) and a potential top 4 pick (McLemore, Bennet, Zeller, Oladipo) for a Not so established Rudy Gay + second round tosser in Acy, gotta be kidding me. Maybe if you throw Bargnani, Jordan might consider talking but there is no way we are getting that much talent for he expense of Gay.

Comment

I appreciate your feedback TFTW, an your negative view actually encourages me that this type of trade might not be too far off value wise based on your different proposals.

I think we have a different view of player values. I would view the inclusion of Bargnani as somewhat of a negative value, an neutral at best. If the Boncats/Hornets wanted Bargs, that could certainly be arranged but the Raptors would need to take back additional assets (re. Money).

Comment

i dunno, i could actually see this. MKG had a weird rookie season. He was essentially a defensive ace but a complete no-show on offense. like, he was horrific. knowing jordon, he wants to win now and rudy gay would easily be the best player on that team. this year's draft is shitty, to say the least. that said, a top pick could net you a solid contributor. a guy like mclemore or porter could at the very least be a excellent sixth man. plus they ditch thomas.

i'd do this trade despite really liking Acy. it's not as far fetched as when you initially look at it.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
          Jordan would laugh at this deal and hang up on the phone, giving away a potential allstar defensive player in MKG, bad contract in Tyrus Thomas (not much of a deal) and a potential top 4 pick (McLemore, Bennet, Zeller, Oladipo) for a Not so established Rudy Gay + second round tosser in Acy, gotta be kidding me. Maybe if you throw Bargnani, Jordan might consider talking but there is no way we are getting that much talent for he expense of Gay.
          lol and every GM would laugh at your trades so hard that they probably would die from it. You have absolutely NO RIGHT to criticize anyone else's trades until you get your trades to at least work...

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            i dunno, i could actually see this. MKG had a weird rookie season. He was essentially a defensive ace but a complete no-show on offense. like, he was horrific. knowing jordon, he wants to win now and rudy gay would easily be the best player on that team. this year's draft is shitty, to say the least. that said, a top pick could net you a solid contributor. a guy like mclemore or porter could at the very least be a excellent sixth man. plus they ditch thomas.

i'd do this trade despite really liking Acy. it's not as far fetched as when you initially look at it.
            I felt very similarly while I was coming up with this, and I still waver. I can see the value for both teams and at times think that either team is actually getting the raw end of the deal.

It really depends on the path each organization takes...win now or asset building?

Comment

Do you think what we gave up fro Rudy Gay was worth more than MKG and the 4th pick in 2013? I don't. Ed Davis is a rotation player (he's the 4th big on Memphis and does not see much playing time) and Jose, although he's starter quality, is an older player with not too many starting years in front of him.

Quincy Acy is borderline NBA talent and someone you hope you will be able to replace with someone better very quickly. Second round picks are long shots usually resulting in a Quincy Acy level talent.

I am sure Charlotte would love to get rid of Ty Thomas but I doubt they want a grossly overpaid player in return, even if he's much better player.

All to say that if I am Charlotte, I would pass on that trade.

Comment

I would do this if I was the Raptors. Not too sure if I'm the Bobcats though. Essentially trading the 4th and 2nd overall picks when MKG has a ton of improvement to go. Also, what's in the future for them then? Building around Gay and Walker? Plus I doubt Gay would stick around.
                Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

My only issue is that MKG has no outside game. Otherwise I think this is worth considering for sure.

Comment

what about something like this:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=krtvg5w
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Not gonna happen. MKG i would think is untouchable for Charlotte.

One Bobcats player that i'm interested at though is Biyombo. So how about Biyombo + Henderson for DeRozan and Acy?
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                        Not gonna happen. MKG i would think is untouchable for Charlotte.

One Bobcats player that i'm interested at though is Biyombo. So how about Biyombo + Henderson for DeRozan and Acy?
                        Turrible. Biyombo has shown next to nothing on the constant worst team in the league. Even with Henderson it's not worth derozan. And that's coming from a person who advocates moving derozan.

Comment

Also last summer the bobcats were looking to trade their pick for anyone who would take Tyrus Thomas. I doubt he's untouchable especially after his sub-par rookie season.

Comment

tucas wrote: View Post
                            Turrible. Biyombo has shown next to nothing on the constant worst team in the league. Even with Henderson it's not worth derozan. And that's coming from a person who advocates moving derozan.
                            Biyombo also has the fundamentals of my 9-year-old brother.
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Missing an easy one between Charlotte and Toronto:

Bargnani

Ramon Sessions

The ESPN Trade machine doesn't like it, but with summer contracts all out of wack i'm sure it can be done easily enough in time.

Charlotte gets some much needed upfront scoring that they are desperately lacking. Bargs slides in between MKG and Biyombo quite nicely in fact.

Toronto gets a proven vetern PG that's been quite comfortable in his career coming off the bench. And of cource the added bonus of less money over less years and Toronto finally gets to move forward beyond the 'Bargnani years'..... where's the Trigger to pull?

Comment

Working...
                              X