• Aaron Gray

15 25.42%
  • Quincy Acy

8 13.56%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: So, who goes?

Post Thanks / Like

You wouldn't be able to score in the paint on a frontcourt of Asik and JV.

Post Thanks / Like

I would rather land Asik than Pau. Pau is old and injured far too often.

3. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    I recognize that Lowry is an asset.. but I just don't see him being traded. Teams like LAC might be interested but then who are we getting back that can play PG for us next season and would be considered an upgrade to Lowry?

The new GM has to get a new PG before they trade Lowry or they need to swap PG's (trading Lowry and then scrambling to find a replacement is a very risky move that could backfire big time). Which team would be willing to swap their starting caliber PG for Lowry and then is that an upgrade for Toronto? If there was a 3rd team, then which team has 2 starting caliber PG's so that they would be willing to trade one and not the other (where either PG would be considered an upgrade to Lowry)?

The Raptors do not have cap space, so they can't just sign a PG in free agency. They would have the MLE but is any guard worth the MLE an upgrade over Lowry, and would Toronto make that move, considering they are so close to the luxury tax if they spend most of that MLE? S&T is possible, but then the only guy I see that fits a S&T is Jennings, and I'd rather have Lowry.

Of course Lowry can be traded and he'd bring back a good return, but I just don't think it makes sense for Toronto since we also need to strengthen our backup PG spot as well. If we had an emerging PG that could take the starting reigns then it's a no brainer. But when your backup is JL3 then I think it becomes a lot harder to trade Lowry, and that's why I don't see him being moved this off season.

It just seems like if we traded Lowry a lot of other things would have to happen too. That's just a lot of work for a GM, especially when the PG you already have seems to be happy playing for you and is a good quality starter in the league.

Perhaps the one guy that we could sign that could realistically replace Lowry is Jose. Perhaps we sign Jose at the MLE then use Lowry in a trade to upgrade the roster? I could see Detroit resigning him though and they can offer a lot more than the MLE.
    Lowry can't be traded for a better starting caliber PG and doesn't have to be. There are players on the team that can fetch in return a better starting caliber PG. Deroan, Gay and JV. are some of them. For example and I repeat for example, if a sign and trade opportunity arose wherein Derozan, Amir and JV could be traded for Chris Paul, we'd have a solid starting PG. In such a case, Raps. could simply use part of their MLE on a player like D Harris to be their back up PG and trade a good asset like Lowry to fill another need.

I totally agree that trading Lowry without a definite plan to fill the starting PG position is senseless.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Teague is restricted. If he leaves Atlanta, it will be the Hawks' choice.

Who knows what happens with CP3, but the Clippers have Eric Bledsoe who as a starter averaged 14ppg (on 41/44/80 shooting), 5.3ast, 4.8reb, and 2.5stl in 12 starts.
    Bledsoe is good but I don't think the Clippers will be comfortable going into the season with him as their everyday starter. I think he will be one in the future though.

The Atlanta situation is 'uncertain'.
    Attitude Is A Choice.

Post Thanks / Like

We're not going to get Chris Paul lol let's be real

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't get all the Kyle Lowry has to go? Do people forget how he began the season like a house on fire?! Cause i don't !

This is one of the biggest reason that I would want to see DD go. So lowry can play his natural game. Its you can have so many perimeter scorers in a lineup. One player is going to have to sacrife and that's been Lowry. I don't about you but, I'd rather have Lowry get more of a focal point in the offensive. It brings out the rest of is game. We his going and has confindence his legit a top10 PG.
    @Chr1st1anL

8. Like footarez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

@Chr1st1anL

Post Thanks / Like

@Chr1st1anL

Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think what you over look, is the whole roster, maybe trading Demar would bump lowry's numbers, but the rest of the team needs a PG to set them up except rudy. Its not that lowry is not good, its wether he is the right fit for this team or are you willing to blow it up to build around lowry ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Dino4life wrote: View Post
    I think what you over look, is the whole roster, maybe trading Demar would bump lowry's numbers, but the rest of the team needs a PG to set them up except rudy. Its not that lowry is not good, its wether he is the right fit for this team or are you willing to blow it up to build around lowry ?
    There are more ways to set guys up than run high school plays for long 2's.

The Raptors attack east/west under Casey. Playing to Lowry's strengths would see more north/south or punch/kick.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

13. Like psrs1 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    There are more ways to set guys up than run high school plays for long 2's.

The Raptors attack east/west under Casey. Playing to Lowry's strengths would see more north/south or punch/kick.
    Agreed, all i'm saying, who are you building around ? Lowry or JV or Demar or Rudy? is Casey the right coach for the player you choose ? that was colangelo's problem, he just got guys he liked, but never wondered if they fit togheter or not. I beleive our top 7 or 8 players are good, but are they in the right situation ? You might say build for Lowry, but then why give Demar the extension he got after you got lowry ? we will not go anywhere untill we pick 1 player and cather to his every needs. I just personnally dont think Lowry is the guy to choose, Lowry is better than Jose, but jose was better for the team we have.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, all i'm saying, who are you building around ? Lowry or JV or Demar or Rudy? is Casey the right coach for the player you choose ? that was colangelo's problem, he just got guys he liked, but never wondered if they fit togheter or not. I beleive our top 7 or 8 players are good, but are they in the right situation ? You might say build for Lowry, but then why give Demar the extension he got after you got lowry ? we will not go anywhere untill we pick 1 player and cather to his every needs. I just personnally dont think Lowry is the guy to choose, Lowry is better than Jose, but jose was better for the team we have.
    Agreed.

So, who goes?

Post Thanks / Like

Sign Devin Harris at the MLE, Decline Lucas's team option, let telfair walk and finally #BringBackUzoh and your pg situation is fixed for a year
    #BringBackUzoh

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully new GM can objectively assess where DD and KL fit best or trade one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

HOKAY so...

Aaron Gray - JL3 - Telfair - Quincy Acy - Linas Kleiza - Michael Pietrus offer nothing and can go

Bargnani - DD - Rudy - inefficient high volume shooters of bad long twos ---- they can go

Lowry - Landry - Amir - should and are high value role players and should stay if we can swing it...but may be need to shed other contracts.

Ross is interesting but if he is needed in trade so be it.

Jonas Valanciunas can not leave under any circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

If we keep Lowry the following is the IDEAL wing compliment including a stretch 4

Kyle Lowry 40% from 3 good to great defender
    Wilson Chandler 40% from 3 good to great defender
    Danny Granger 40% from 3 average defender
    Ersan Illyasova 44% from 3 good defender

With JV in the middle for P n R...

50 wins BOOK IT

20. Like footarez liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

move dd in a trade involving pau. would be great to have a play maker on the block with rudy and lowry here.
    or move dd for a guy like afflalo and fillers

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote thead wrote: View Post
    If we keep Lowry the following is the IDEAL wing compliment including a stretch 4

Kyle Lowry 40% from 3 good to great defender
    Wilson Chandler 40% from 3 good to great defender
    Danny Granger 40% from 3 average defender
    Ersan Illyasova 44% from 3 good defender

With JV in the middle for P n R...

50 wins BOOK IT
    I like Chandler a lot. He's not being used as much as he should be in Denver (i.e. starting Gallinari).

If we could swing a deal with Denver, like swapping DeMar with Chandler and adding a few other filler pieces going both ways, then that'd be cool.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    I like Chandler a lot. He's not being used as much as he should be in Denver (i.e. starting Gallinari).

If we could swing a deal with Denver, like swapping DeMar with Chandler and adding a few other filler pieces going both ways, then that'd be cool.
    On second thought...maybe not. Almost every combination imaginable is failing on the Trade Machine.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    Rondo is an asset of course but he is held in very high regards for Boston. He was mentioned in a Paul trade for example. The Raptors do not have any players on their team that are even close to Paul's level of talent.

If Rondo was to be traded then Boston would most likely be looking for a top 5 pick in a draft. I don't think Toronto is going to be in the bottom 5 next year, and especially with a team that has Rondo on their roster.

I understand where you are coming from with this idea but I just don't see it happening.

But speaking of long shots, how about Tony Parker? We all know that Duncan is getting close to retirement, and if the Spurs win this year could this be his last hurrah? Ginobili is a free agent next year. Is he going to retire?

Toronto has young assets. Perhaps a Lowry+DeMar+future first for Parker? Parker is 31 years old, but for PG's that's actually pretty young. He'd be on the top of my list, even ahead of Rondo (if he was available).
    I have thought about Parker too, but don't want to think about it too much until the Spurs playoff run is over.

On Rondo...I don't know what kind of deal the Celtics will look for if they consider dealing him, but I don't think it'll be a star swap unless they're getting a star still on his rookie contract. Maybe they could attract a Chris Paul...but they still wouldn't have great pieces around him and few avenues to add them (especially since they'd have to send more assets out to get Paul), at least in terms of top tier talent. So I don't think Toronto's biggest problem will be not being able to offer a star. I think it will be not being able to outbid other teams in terms of young pieces and likely high picks. While I would love for a deal to be Lowry + DeMar + picks....More likely it would be Lowry + Amir + Ross + pick(s)

It's hard for me to want Parker more than Rondo though, largely because of age, even considering Rondo's current injury. If the Raptors are going to try and add a superstar via trade, I would like it to be a player I'm confident will still be playing at that level in 5+ years. Now, health is always a risk, but age is age. I don't think 31 is young for any basketball player. PGs generally tend to have a better chance at lasting longer...but that still doesn't guarantee that when they hit 35-36 they'll be able to maintain a high level of performance.

I really want the Raptors to add a guy who can be a foundational (that doesn't sound like a real word) piece next to JV if they're going shopping. I definitely would take Parker over Rondo if I were focusing only on the next 3-4 years, but if I'm looking beyond that, I have to go for Rondo.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information