Chisholm: Ujiri the anti-Colangelo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    There's a Ujiri twitter account that tweeted he chose Toronto, but it only has 50 followers, so the twitterverse is on fire trying to figure out the account's veracity, lol.

It's a fake.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

Comment

I thought this article was pretty post until I looked a bit deeper at what Denver's been doing..

More than once Colangelo maxed-out his midlevel exception (Jason Kapono, 2007 and Linas Kleiza, 2010) whereas Ujiri never once used it up on a single player.
        This is partially true. Ujiri's been with Denver since August 2010. One month before, the Nuggets gave Al Harrington that insane deal for the MLE. So it had already been used the summer before he was hired.

In July 2011, that was the first time he could have used the MLE, but they had the lockout. As you know that old MLE is dead now, the new one is shorter and in most cases teams will probably use the mini-MLE which is less money too.

So he basically had 2 chances where he could have signed someone to MLE, but under the new CBA which dramatically changed the MLE. Colangelo had like 5 or 6 years under the old CBA to (ab)use it.

How about Colangelo growing famously attached to some of his players whereas Ujiri would routinely re-sign his free agents only to deal them a few months later?
        This is fair. He signed Nene and then flipped him, but then he gave a max contract to JaVale, who is now Denver's 3rd string center and an incredible moron. I guess if he does grow up then it'll turn out fine, but I'm still waiting o

Or Colangelo basically ignoring the growing importance of the three-point shot while Ujiri made it a staple of his roster?
        I guess this came down more to accuracy, because we shot significantly more 3 pointers than Denver, and had an identical shooting percentage from the perimeter and this was even without Bargnani who was hurt most of the year. With him we would have annhilated Denver's numbers. Denver had a higher pace offence, but the truth is we had really good 3 point shooting, or least we tried.

This really comes down to DeRozan and if he can develop a 3 point shot. Both teams shoot jumpers and jump shooting teams shoot a lot of 3s. We were 12th in 3PA/g, and if Bargnani had played a full season I'm sure we'd have been top 10.
        your pal,
        ebrian

Comment

I dont think ujiri is the savior you guys expect him to be.
          Who the hell pays Javal mcgee 10 -12 million a YEAR!
          Hes making andrea bargniani money and putting up half the stats, terrible decision.
          and with him knowing rogers and bell are willing to go into luxury tax ujiri will go bananas with ridiculous contracts.
          If you guys thought Colangelo was bad just wait and see...***

Comment

TdotTrizzy wrote: View Post
            I dont think ujiri is the savior you guys expect him to be.
            Who the hell pays Javal mcgee 10 -12 million a YEAR!
            Hes making andrea bargniani money and putting up half the stats, terrible decision.
            and with him knowing rogers and bell are willing to go into luxury tax ujiri will go bananas with ridiculous contracts.
            If you guys thought Colangelo was bad just wait and see...***
            Probably most of the league.

DeAndre Jordan is getting over $10M per season. There has always been a premium on athletic big men. There is also the possibility Karl is using the approach that so many defended Casey using on Raptor youth.

Regarding half the stats of Bargnani, I think you should look at the stats before such a statement.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

DeAndre Jordan is getting over $10M per season. There has always been a premium on athletic big men. There is also the possibility Karl is using the approach that so many defended Casey using on Raptor youth.

Regarding half the stats of Bargnani, I think you should look at the stats before such a statement.
              What's half of zero?
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
                What's half of zero?
                I don't like Bargnani as a Raptor as much as anyone, but one needs to at least be objective.

Comment

McGee has actually been a very productive player for Denver. His box score numbers are deceptive because George Karl doesn't allocate many minutes to his bigs (none of McGee, Koufos or Faried play nearly enough) but the advanced metrics show his value. That big-man trifecta was a huge reason for Denver's success this season.

People still think of McGee as the headcase in Washington but he's been a nice addition in Denver.

Comment

Yeah youre right, i was looking at mcgees playoffs stats by accident.
                    7 points and 5 rebounds per game.
                    but looking at his regular season stats 9 points 4 rebounds per game, not much of a difference.

Yes andrea hasnt lived up to expectations, and believe me i probably hate him more than anyone here, but at least when he was given that contract he was putting up 21 points and 5 boards a game.

I cant pay a guy 10 mill plus for putting up reggie evans numbers.

and the clippers are in a different situation that denver, theyre competing for a championship, in those cases you overpay for quality role players, jordan fits perfectly with griffin, plus he gets a lot of minutes.

Comment

I don't want Masai anymore...I'm angry now.... If it takes you four days to decide whether a 3 million dollar raise and total basketball control are a good idea, there is clearly something wrong
                      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Hes Steve Nashing I know its a big choice he has to pack up his family and move etc but goddam I thought he would decide by now if there is no decision by tomorrow afternoon. Toronto should just pull out (lol) its wasting a lot of time almost June and still no GM.

Comment

There is typically a "make a decision date" on such deals or one party looks like a chump if it drags out. I dont see a Lieweke putting up with the drag out unless there has been a conversation about the holdup. We just dont know.

Comment

Working...
                          X