No announcement yet.

Chisholm: Ujiri the anti-Colangelo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At this point, I don't care how they are different, as long as they are.

I do think that the BC-Bosh burn changed the NBA landscape. If that doesn't happen then perhaps neither Melo or Deron get traded. It turned out as it often does, the team with the best info got to make the better decision. They got to learn from the mistakes (in hindsight) of BC and Ferry.

The biggest thing in the Chisholm article that gives me optimism is the 3 point shooting roster of Denver vs BC's Raptors where none of the big additions (Gay, Fields, and even Lowry to some extent) can shoot the 3 consistently. Having a GM who is on top of the current trends and maxifying the roster is what we need more than anything.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I think Ujiri's haul for Melo is even more impressive because Melo said he only wanted to play in NY. It's like getting a player to fold who has four of a kind.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

All this love for Masai is getting me curious as to what was the general feeling or what was said on this forum when we hired Colangelo.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
          All this love for Masai is getting me curious as to what was the general feeling or what was said on this forum when we hired Colangelo.
          It was euphoria.

He did some good things right away. Unfortunately he could not sustain - let alone grow.

For whatever reason, I still would rather Weaver to get a shot.
          Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon May 27, 2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I think virtually every Raps fan was ecstatic at the Colangelo hire, particularly after the disastrous Babcock era.

As for Ujiri, it's hard not to be positive when the guy who just put together a 57-win Denver team and won EOY is in line to be the new GM. I'm pretty cynical but it's still baffling to me that anyone can actually be down on this hire (if it happens).

Comment

I wasn't involved here then but I was in other places and the sense of excitement, endless possibility. Colangelo was going to be the "savior". He got the #1 pick, lots of cap space and he put together a solid team. That solid team started falling apart right around when Jorge got hurt and could never recover.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                It was euphoria.

He did some good things right away. Unfortunately he could not sustain - let alone grow.

For whatever reason, I still would rather Weaver to get a shot.
                I'm still behind Pritchard myself, but I'd be happy with any GM that beleives in building through the draft. Teams like Charlotte and Clevland are bottom dwellers now, but they're putting together top 5 after top 5 picks. At some point they're going to be in really good position talent wise and cap wise to make some noise. I think both Pritchard and Weaver would share that philosophy considering their backgrounds.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  That solid team started falling apart right around when Jorge got hurt and could never recover.
                  I think Sam Mitchell's firing was the beginning of the down fall. When you think about it, the teams that didn't make the play offs the following two years under Triano would have made it at least once(if not twice) if Mitchell was still there. Especially the year in which Raps. were at 4th place before the AS break. If that{continued success) had happened, it may have encouraged Bosh to stay and the 'rebuilding' would never had been necessary.
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                    I think virtually every Raps fan was ecstatic at the Colangelo hire, particularly after the disastrous Babcock era.

As for Ujiri, it's hard not to be positive when the guy who just put together a 57-win Denver team and won EOY is in line to be the new GM. I'm pretty cynical but it's still baffling to me that anyone can actually be down on this hire (if it happens).
                    I'm not down on Ujiri, but I just don't give him as much credit for the state of the Denver Nuggets, as many do. I feel like he went into a really good scenario in Denver where he had a really big trade chip and a team in NY that would do anything to acquire Melo. He also had some good peices there already, and was able to get some good talent from a very willing trade partner. Also, Denver has a top 5 coach in George Karl, so imo a lot of the peices sort of fell in place for Ujiri. That doesn't mean that he isn't a good GM, but it's such a small sample size of what he's done.

Also, for me personally I would want a GM that wants to rebuild the roster through the draft. Keep JV, move large contracts for picks and young talent and start fresh. But, the instant gratification of trying to compete with the current roster would be satisfying as well. I just don't know if the ceiling is that high for this roster even with a tweak here and there.

Comment

Am I the only one more in favour of the Kevin Pritchard/Troy Weaver combo over Ujiri? Not to diss MU because he did turn lead into gold with that Melo trade, but the KP has a longer CV and Weaver is coming from a very strong front office with OKC that has been moulded in the school of RC Buford and the Spurs.

There's pros and cons of course, but I am a little leery of Ujiri because his pedigree is straight Colangelo. it may not be valid but with BC still in the fold you gotta think he'll have some kinda pipeline to MU.
                      LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                        I think Sam Mitchell's firing was the beginning of the down fall. When you think about it, the teams that didn't make the play offs the following two years under Triano would have made it at least once(if not twice) if Mitchell was still there. Especially the year in which Raps. were at 4th place before the AS break. If that{continued success) had happened, it may have encouraged Bosh to stay and the 'rebuilding' would never had been necessary.
                        It was happening well before then. It would be like if Colangelo was managing a truck dealership and instead of ordering truck inventory for his mechanics to work on the trucks he was purchasing luxury sedan parts and telling them to deal with it. Sam Mitchell was there before Colangelo, he didn't fit what Colangelo wanted to run(few do) and instead of adapting to his coach or firing said coach, he told Smitch to deal with it, it eventually failed because as he deviated more and more away from his coach's philosophies but hey, he had a pretty expensive scape goat.

Comment

What's wrong with some peeps here?
                          l thought we all wanted BC kicked out?
                          ln my books, Ujiri at this point is head and shoulders above BC.
                          Compare Denver's current state to the Raptors, it's just that simple.

Comment

I'm still behind Pritchard myself, but I'd be happy with any GM that beleives in building through the draft. Teams like Charlotte and Clevland are bottom dwellers now, but they're putting together top 5 after top 5 picks. At some point they're going to be in really good position talent wise and cap wise to make some noise. I think both Pritchard and Weaver would share that philosophy considering their backgrounds.
                            One would hope but it is not a guarantee. That formula has not yielded success for Minnesota or Sacramento and the strategy yielded just 1 playoff appearance in 14 years for the Clippers before the last 2 seasons (and the last two years was a trade to turn things around).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                              One would hope but it is not a guarantee. That formula has not yielded success for Minnesota or Sacramento and the strategy yielded just 1 playoff appearance in 14 years for the Clippers before the last 2 seasons (and the last two years was a trade to turn things around).
                              Agree and disagree. I agree that nothing is guaranteed, but that goes without saying. You can do everything correctly and still end up with the short end of the stick. That is sports. You can also do everything incorrectly like New York, and end up in the semi's. you also need someone with the ability to draft talent like Pritchard doing the drafting. Frankly Khan and I don't even know who was doing the drafting for Sacramento and the Clippers (Dunleavy?). The only thing you can do as a GM is put your team in a position to do well. The rest is up to good fortune imo.

Comment

Unlike MLB and NHL teams(big rosters), an NBA team is wasting it's time trying to build through the draft IMO. Bottoming out to draft a Franchise Player is important but afterwards shrewd trades, FA signings and drafting are sufficient to build successful teams. Raptors did the initial thing when they drafted Vince Carter and later Chris Bosh but wasted both opportunities.

The key is to have the right GM running the show. With BC gone and next years draft potentially deep in talent, it's probably a good time for the new incoming GM to strip down the team, create as much cap space as possible and MOST IMPORTANTLY, get a good draft pick and draft a Franchise Player. It could take the team a long way.
                                Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                                X