Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air Jordan Vs. King James (Rodman's opinion in post #48)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    Shaq has like 80lbs on Hakeem but who do you have?

I don't think LeBron is faster than Magic. Have either been clocked in the 40?
    Shaq vs Hakeem finals 94/95. Shaq 3rd year NBA, first finals appearance, 2nd time in the playoffs. Hakeem 11th year NBA, 3rd finals appearance, 10th time in the playoffs

Shaq - 28 pts 60%fg (18.5 fga) 12.5 rebs 6.3 assist 2.5 blks 45 minutes a game
    Hakeem - 33 pts 48% (29 fga) fg 11.5 rbs 5.5 assists 2blks 45 minutes a game

Thats not getting into their career accolades and stats.

As good as Hakeem is (and he's an all time great), Shaq > Hakeem.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
      Shaq vs Hakeem finals 94/95. Shaq 3rd year NBA, first finals appearance, 2nd time in the playoffs. Hakeem 11th year NBA, 3rd finals appearance, 10th time in the playoffs

Shaq - 28 pts 60%fg (18.5 fga) 12.5 rebs 6.3 assist 2.5 blks 45 minutes a game
      Hakeem - 33 pts 48% (29 fga) fg 11.5 rbs 5.5 assists 2blks 45 minutes a game

Thats not getting into their career accolades and stats.

As good as Hakeem is (and he's an all time great), Shaq > Hakeem.
      Well this is clearly personal opinion, and I don't know how you can say that Shaq is better than Hakeem. Put either one on a team and they're an instant contender.

IMO, Hakeem was a much better all around player and would pick him 10 out of 10 times over Shaq (in a vacuum where they're the same age and such). Basically, I think of it like Hakeem needed a good team around him, but he also won a championship where Vernon Maxwell was the 2nd best player on his team....not Kobe Bryant, not Dwyane Wade...Vernon "the headcase" Maxwell. Shaq was dependent on having that 2nd elite scorer on the perimeter for a gameplan to work with him. Basically, Shaq needed more help for his team to dominate. Hakeem just needed guys who could knock down 3 pters.

*Edit: Not to suggest Shaq couldn't "dominate" on his own, especially in a single game. Rather just that he was a slightly more limited player, and they needed an elite perimeter scorer to bring things that ensured proper spacing and offensive balance.
      Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue May 28, 2013, 08:58 AM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Well this is clearly personal opinion, and I don't know how you can say that Shaq is better than Hakeem. Put either one on a team and they're an instant contender.

IMO, Hakeem was a much better all around player and would pick him 10 out of 10 times over Shaq (in a vacuum where they're the same age and such). Basically, I think of it like Hakeem needed a good team around him, but he also won a championship where Vernon Maxwell was the 2nd best player on his team....not Kobe Bryant, not Dwyane Wade...Vernon "the headcase" Maxwell. Shaq was dependent on having that 2nd elite scorer on the perimeter for a gameplan to work with him. Basically, Shaq needed more help for his team to dominate. Hakeem just needed guys who could knock down 3 pters.

*Edit: Not to suggest Shaq couldn't "dominate" on his own, especially in a single game. Rather just that he was a slightly more limited player, and they needed an elite perimeter scorer to bring things that ensured proper spacing and offensive balance.
        Ofcourse its opinion.

Hakeem's teammates in that series

- Robert Horry, Clyde Drexler, Mario Ellie, Kenny Smith, Sam Cassel, Charles Jones, Chucky Brown

Shaq's teammates

-Anfernee Hardaway, Horace grant, Nick Anderson, Denis Scott, Brian Shaw, Jeff Turner

Hakeem won his titles with plenty of other talent. Even the year prior to having Drexler, he had the above players + Otis Thorpe (former all-star). Vernon Maxwell wasn't even close to those teams 2nd best player.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

Of course Shaq needed a lot more help than Hakeem. 4th quarter "Hack-A-Shaq" left him rendered useless on offense because the man couldn't hit a free throw to save his life; no matter the magnitude of the game. Well, at least he was consistent.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
            Ofcourse its opinion.

Hakeem's teammates in that series

- Robert Horry, Clyde Drexler, Mario Ellie, Kenny Smith, Sam Cassel, Charles Jones, Chucky Brown

Shaq's teammates

-Anfernee Hardaway, Horace grant, Nick Anderson, Denis Scott, Brian Shaw, Jeff Turner

Hakeem won his titles with plenty of other talent. Even the year prior to having Drexler, he had the above players + Otis Thorpe (former all-star). Vernon Maxwell wasn't even close to those teams 2nd best player.
            Umm....yes, he kind of was....maybe tied with Thorpe...

All the other guys were either at the end/beginning of their careers, or career role players. Maxwell was in his prime. They wanted an upgrade, because it's not a good thing if he's your 2nd best player, so in the 2nd title year they went after Drexler. Then Drexler became far and away the 2nd best player on that team.

Hakeem's teammates depended more on him to create for them and to elevate the team's performance. Shaq was not as good at that. Hakeem "carried" his team more. He is the better player.

Comment

Put it this way. Shaq dominated more with his physical attributes than actual skill but Hakeem was a much more complete and skilled player. Shaq was just bigger and stronger than everyone so he'd bully himself to the rim but he couldn't hit a jumpshot to save his life, not to mention Ft's. Hakeem had it all, low post game, mid range jumper, faceup game, up and unders, great shot blocking ability. I'd take Hakeem over Shaq any day

Comment

It's too easy to say that Shaq was all size and strength. He had a well developed game around the basket, including a very soft touch. (If you saw that soft touch you couldn't be but amazed at his inability to hit free throws). Shaq also had a high basketball iq (not refering to him talking about it on tv...) and was a very good passer.

Even if you say that he was all physical attributes, that's part of the game too. If it gets the job done it isn't less important than skill. But he had skill.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  He let Paul George drive right buy him to posterize Birdman for an and one. He's a lazy defender, you people give him too much credit. Even Rudy Gay has his moments where he looks like a defensive pro but then he makes stupid ass mistakes and makes you forget about it.
                  LeBron is a lazy defender? That's why he was being strongly considered for Defensive Player of the Year, and a First Team All-Defensive Team selection?

That one example is a poor one to summarize a player's defense, you even answered it yourself, Rudy Gay has his moments but makes mistakes, and that's related to basically all players on defense. There's no one in this league that can really shut down a person from being able to score, especially in this league.

We give LeBron much credit for defense, because he deserves much credit. Can defend up to 4 positions, arguably 5, great help/rotation defender, can match him with the opposing team's best scorer, etc.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                    LeBron is a lazy defender? That's why he was being strongly considered for Defensive Player of the Year, and a First Team All-Defensive Team selection?

That one example is a poor one to summarize a player's defense, you even answered it yourself, Rudy Gay has his moments but makes mistakes, and that's related to basically all players on defense. There's no one in this league that can really shut down a person from being able to score, especially in this league.

We give LeBron much credit for defense, because he deserves much credit. Can defend up to 4 positions, arguably 5, great help/rotation defender, can match him with the opposing team's best scorer, etc.
                    He's an overrated defender and he gets away with a lot of things, I don't buy him being a good defender. Most of his advantages are all with his physical attributes and athleticism. Also, i never said you have to shut a guy down to be a good defender.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                      In a game up to 11, I take say it's LeBron 11, MJ 9.

Soft Euro is right, if LeBron takes him to the post, there's almost nothing Jordan can do about it.
                      Who even posts up in a 1 on 1?

You're cutting Jordan short here, I believe that you are mistaken.

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post

Seriously, you guys don't post up in one on one? Too much and1 league and drew league watching? I used to play some guys who always used to post me up when they knew they could back me down and had a little size on me.

I on the other hand think people are cutting LeBron short here, maybe because of the decision, maybe some because they only remember (or have seen) the highlight video's.

Comment

Jordan WOULD KILL LeBron in a 1 on 1 game.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post

If I had a guy that was two inches shorter and almost 40 pounds lighter guarding me, hellz yeah I'd do it.

And just in case anyone is about to make a case about how MJ could stop LeBron in the post, then take a look at him abusing Paul George (2 inches taller than Jordan and 10-15 pounds heavier) in Game 3. George is known as an above average defender as well.

Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I may be crazy but I like although Lebron is in his prime he hasn't peaked yet.

For me it's too close to call. A lot depends on whether you get the ball back if you score (winner's outs) if it's winner's outs I take jordan, because he would get into a zone... but if jordan has to play defence every other possession than I think Lebron's got a real shot.

I think that a more epic 1 on 1 game would be Jordan vs. Kobe... winner's out, call your own fouls... you keep track of points, but the game only ends when the guy who is behind quits. Can you imagine either one of them quitting? Yet one of them would have to... eventually. I'm getting hard just thinking about it.
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                                Michael Jordan is one of the greatest defenders in league history. You don't hear that about LeBron.

If LeBron was as menacing as some describe then he should be averaging 40PPG...
                                Lebron left cleveland so he wouldn't have to do that. I truly believe Lebron does not fill the stat sheet as much as he could. As for his defense, check with the analytics guys...he's fucking up their shit. Wish I had a reference but I don't care that much. At this point, I would say Jordans biggest advantage is his clutch...he hit alot of big time shots, and I think Lebron has a ways to go to catch up to him in that area. Jordan, I think, was a craftier player than Lebron is, and that would also play to his advantage in a one on one situation. Lebron has a size advantage. In a one on one, I see Jordan taking alot of shots and getting a few steals, while Lebron goes at him in the post. If it was a serious game, and both were in their prime, it would be fun to watch.

Comment

Working...
                                X