Warren Ward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warren Ward

It didn’t take long for Warren Ward to earn the respect of fellow NBA hopefuls once he started training at Impact Basketball in Las Vegas. After a few sessions of drills and a handful of pick-up games, Ward’s peers realized that he is incredibly talented and capable of taking over games. On a number of occasions, he looked like the best player on the court during pick-up games, which is impressive considering he’s playing with prospects who are expected to be picked in the 2013 NBA Draft.

Ward, who was born in Ontario and starred at the University of Ottawa, has been working out with members of this year’s draft class, but the 23-year-old shooting guard won’t hear his name called by NBA Commissioner David Stern on June 27. It’s not because he isn’t talented enough to be selected; it’s because he’s not draft eligible, something he discovered after arriving in Las Vegas to train. He played five years at Ottawa, which is common in Canada, but players are automatically eligible after their fourth season of college basketball. That means he could’ve been selected during the 2012 NBA Draft, but he had no idea that he was even in the pool of potential draftees.

“As soon as you’re done with four years of school, you automatically get put in the draft and I didn’t know that,” Ward said. “In Canada, you can do five years and that’s what I did. So while this was my last year of school and technically I just graduated, your name is automatically put in there after four years.”

That means Ward is an undrafted free agent so he can sign with any NBA team this offseason. The former Canadian star has already received interest from a number of teams including the Toronto Raptors, Indiana Pacers, Orlando Magic and Atlanta Hawks among others. He’ll likely work out for these teams in the coming weeks. He also has several teams ready to offer him a spot on their summer league team. He has a large chip on his shoulder and he’s determined to prove he belongs in the NBA. However, he is also extremely down to earth and knows his role.

http://www.hoopsworld.com/warren-war...e-route-to-nba
    Good article and the video in the link is good as well.

If only Colangelo was still in charge, this guy would definitely make the team. He'd be billed as the next Jamario, AP, or AA. One thing that BC WAS good at is finding these guys and giving them a chance. I just wish that the Raps were never at the level where these guys can actually make a contribution.

I wish him well, but Gad I hope we don't need this kid.
    Welp, that sucked.

Comment

I know him. We both go to Ottawa U. Never thought he was that good but, for home. I'm surprised how well he playing seeing that he just had a torn ACL last year.
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        I know him. We both go to Ottawa U. Never thought he was that good but, for home. I'm surprised how well he playing seeing that he just had a torn ACL last year.
        I wish him luck. Ottawa U is where I obtained my first degree, more than 30 years ago.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
          I wish him luck. Ottawa U is where I obtained my first degree, more than 30 years ago.
          Go Gee Gees
          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Dont believe I have ever heard another local player so effusive about Canada and the talent here....he wasnt all about himself. Hope he gets a shot.

Comment

What the f*ck's a geegee?

Sorry guys, I went to Carleton... and we won the big trophy every year I was there.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I would much rather gamble on him than bring back Alan Anderson.
                For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Wow. Intriguing.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWgKhzt__A

Good first step. No visible effects from ACL surgery. Good three point stroke. Good drive and kick game. Good handles.

I say bring him in and see what happens.
                    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YdF6LAYrSc

Another one from SLAM...

just for fun...even if it is bleacher report

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/4...in-nba-history

473k is the minimum deal for an undrafted rookie according to Mr. Coon

Comment

he takes really small steps

Comment

He's Canadian therefore he is automatically better than anyone else

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            Good article and the video in the link is good as well.
                            Sign him for a minimum.

Hey, it's not like we got a draft pick this year.

Comment

Funny how many of those guys have played for the Raptors.

Comment

Working...
                              X