View Poll Results: Would you do Gay for #1?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    21 41.18%
  • No

    19 37.25%
  • Cavs would have to add more to the deal

    11 21.57%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 172

Thread: If Cavs are looking to move top pick, Gay for #1?

  1. #141
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,684
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    ive spent the past hour on the trade machine trying to make something work and nada
    Doesn't Gay for the #1 pick work? I thought Cleveland had the cap space to absorb his salary.

  2. #142
    Raptors Republic Veteran ceez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    6,766
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    not according to the trade machine
    @jerboat

  3. #143
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,684
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    not according to the trade machine
    I don't think the trade machine is taking into account the expiring deals of Luke Walton ($6M), Daniel Gibson ($4.8M), Omri Casspi ($2.2M), and Wayne Ellington ($2M). That is $15M plus the $3.9M they already have.

  4. #144
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    946
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Once we hit July, Cleveland has loads of cap space, while right now they have none. A trade with them for their draft pick could be a situation where the trade is agreed to before or at the draft, but doesn't actually happen until after the July moratorium.

    It would be great if the trade machine had an option to execute a trade at a future date.

  5. #145
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    ive spent the past hour on the trade machine trying to make something work and nada
    It will be much easier July 1st.

    Cleveland will have a tonne of cap space.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  6. #146
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    JS: Any updates on the status of head coach Dwane Casey or potential changes to his staff?

    MU: Things are on the move and we’re still going through the process. We’ll figure it out and I know that’s a wide-ranging answer. Things have gone well with Coach, we’ve had tons and tons of meetings, we have dinner tonight [Tuesday] with Rudy Gay, so we’re moving the right way. As those decisions [with assistants] need to be made, we will make them the best way we feel is heading in the right direction for the organization.

    http://blog.raptors.com/a-few-minute...m-masai-ujiri/
    There are 2 ways to interpret this. Dinner goes like this:

    option 1) Appetizer, Main course, *Rudy we are trading you to Cleveland*, Dessert

    option 2) Rudy is the face of the franchise along with JV.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  7. Like Axel, Shantz liked this post
  8. #147
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,063
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Hey Rudy we are trading you to the Cavs...... Anyone for Cheesecake? mmmmmm mmmmm bitch dig in whats with that face? Im paying for this meal.

  9. Like omgsomuchpotential liked this post
  10. #148
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    ive spent the past hour on the trade machine trying to make something work and nada
    The trademachine isn't quite right presently, because right now it's assuming 2012/2013 roster salaries (as it should until July 1) and Cleveland is presently over the salary cap. Come July 1, a team under the cap can trade for Rudy more easily. At that point, Gay for Alonzo Gee/Anderson Varajao or Alonzo Gee/Tyler Zeller/Tristan Thompson both work (and I would vote for the latter).

    (The trademachine also doesn't account for including cash in a deal to make a trade work under the rules, and Cleveland can do that too.)
    Last edited by magoon; Wed Jun 19th, 2013 at 06:43 PM.

  11. #149
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote magoon wrote: View Post
    The trademachine isn't quite right presently, because right now it's assuming 2012/2013 roster salaries (as it should until July 1) and Cleveland is presently over the salary cap. Come July 1, a team under the cap can trade for Rudy more easily. At that point, Gay for Alonzo Gee/Anderson Varajao or Alonzo Gee/Tyler Zeller/Tristan Thompson both work (and I would vote for the latter).

    (The trademachine also doesn't account for including cash in a deal to make a trade work under the rules, and Cleveland can do that too.)
    By simply not picking up options on Kevin Jones and Chris Quinn, the Cavs could take Rudy's entire salary off Raptors hands with the Cavs sending nothing back.

    Cash included in trade has no impact on numbers required to make trades work.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

  12. #150
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    People just stop this isn't going to happen.

  13. #151
    Super Moderator thead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    2,997
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    People just stop this isn't going to happen.
    you don't think that if Ujiri, after all the due diliegence is done and he figures out the team is broken, wouldn't blow up the roster?

  14. #152
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    3,920
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote thead wrote: View Post
    you don't think that if Ujiri, after all the due diliegence is done and he figures out the team is broken, wouldn't blow up the roster?
    Bring Casey back. Having dinner with Rudy Gay and Coach. The Coach saying he want Rudy to average 25 next year. Really doesn't sound like his going to blow it up(well at least not this summer). Might make a couple tweaks to the roster.

  15. #153
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,910
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    What I don't get is why people are so eager to gut the team or trade any of the better players on our team for a pick in this consensus atrocious draft.

    It's certainly not worth the assets to go after the #1 pick. Shop dead weight for picks of teams who don't want to pay guaranteed money or have multiple picks. The cost of a low-1st rder, for instance, might be even lower than usual given the weakness of the draft. But the cost of a top 5 (or even top 10) pick is pretty much always high, no matter the strength of the draft.

  16. #154
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    What I don't get is why people are so eager to gut the team or trade any of the better players on our team for a pick in this consensus atrocious draft.

    It's certainly not worth the assets to go after the #1 pick. Shop dead weight for picks of teams who don't want to pay guaranteed money or have multiple picks. The cost of a low-1st rder, for instance, might be even lower than usual given the weakness of the draft. But the cost of a top 5 (or even top 10) pick is pretty much always high, no matter the strength of the draft.
    The draft is lacking star power but full of solid players.... At least that is what I hear many analysts/writers/nba peeps saying

  17. #155
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,910
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    The draft is lacking star power but full of solid players.... At least that is what I hear many analysts/writers/nba peeps saying
    Shouldn't this be the best argument to avoid the lottery like the plague though? Why trade your current star for the lowest potential 1st overall pick in years? Why not just focus on getting a pick cheap later in the draft?

    I didn't say we shouldn't trade into the draft, but trading away good players for picks in basically the highest-risk draft of all time seems like the absolute worst way to go about rebuilding properly.

    Since it is a deep draft, the front office should be focusing on getting a pick for a player that isn't in the team's future plans anyway. Bargs is an obvious candidate. Maybe Gray, Lucas, Kleiza, AA.....None of these guys will net us a top 10 pick...but I can see a late 1st or some kind of 2nd rounder being a possibility. In this draft, I'd prefer that kind of pick. Try to draft a niche player or a draft-and-stash project.

    *Also, they say that shit every single year...regardless of star power, all drafts always suddenly become deep in the last month or two leading up to them. There are always some solid pieces in the draft, considering the vast majority of NBA players are drafted. The question is more what is a pick worth in this draft? If the ceiling of most guys in this draft is role player, then it's certainly not worth a significant asset.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Jun 20th, 2013 at 08:18 AM.

  18. #156
    Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    *Also, they say that shit every single year...regardless of star power, all drafts always suddenly become deep in the last month or two leading up to them. There are always some solid pieces in the draft, considering the vast majority of NBA players are drafted. The question is more what is a pick worth in this draft? If the ceiling of most guys in this draft is role player, then it's certainly not worth a significant asset.
    Exactly they say it every single year, and every single there are players you wish you had on your team throughout the WHOLE first round not just the lottery, and sometimes even in the 2nd round. .

  19. #157
    Raptors Republic Rookie RaptorFanatic01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    28
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Noooooooo u slothbag
    TORONTO RAPTORS TORONTO RAPTORS TORONTO RAPTORS TORONTO RAPTORS TORONTO RAPTORS TORONTO RAPTORS TORONTO RAPTORS #tradeBargnani..

  20. #158
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7,910
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dino4life wrote: View Post
    Exactly they say it every single year, and every single there are players you wish you had on your team throughout the WHOLE first round not just the lottery, and sometimes even in the 2nd round. .
    Yep...and when the top team is reluctant/unwilling to use the #1 pick, that's a horrible sign. It's a bad sign for the whole top of the lottery, even, and also means that the draft could get really muddled/chaotic. Keep away...use a later pick on somebody, and hope it works out.

  21. #159
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,684
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Yep...and when the top team is reluctant/unwilling to use the #1 pick, that's a horrible sign. It's a bad sign for the whole top of the lottery, even, and also means that the draft could get really muddled/chaotic. Keep away...use a later pick on somebody, and hope it works out.
    Which could lead us to having an even better pick in the loaded 2014 draft. Trading Gay for a Top 4 pick is the fastest way to rebuild. We add another young guy to develop who wont help us win games, but will help us win ping pong balls for next year.

  22. #160
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    19,445
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Shouldn't this be the best argument to avoid the lottery like the plague though? Why trade your current star for the lowest potential 1st overall pick in years? Why not just focus on getting a pick cheap later in the draft?

    I didn't say we shouldn't trade into the draft, but trading away good players for picks in basically the highest-risk draft of all time seems like the absolute worst way to go about rebuilding properly.

    Since it is a deep draft, the front office should be focusing on getting a pick for a player that isn't in the team's future plans anyway. Bargs is an obvious candidate. Maybe Gray, Lucas, Kleiza, AA.....None of these guys will net us a top 10 pick...but I can see a late 1st or some kind of 2nd rounder being a possibility. In this draft, I'd prefer that kind of pick. Try to draft a niche player or a draft-and-stash project.

    *Also, they say that shit every single year...regardless of star power, all drafts always suddenly become deep in the last month or two leading up to them. There are always some solid pieces in the draft, considering the vast majority of NBA players are drafted. The question is more what is a pick worth in this draft? If the ceiling of most guys in this draft is role player, then it's certainly not worth a significant asset.
    I might have started the thread and post a number of trade ideas, but it is for discussion and/or airing ideas.

    Trading Gay for a high pick (or #1) is not that simple. The Raptors would also gain a lot of flexibility to do other things if they choose. Outside of JV, the Raptors have a lot of good and bad assets. Most of the good assets have a significant flaw or two that decreases their true worth.

    I don't think any of those players you listed return a 1st or 2nd pick without taking back an undesirable contract.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

    Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •