Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Cavs are looking to move top pick, Gay for #1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simply no. I can not take another losing season. That's pretty much what that trade would mean.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      I think they will want JV and something else for the #1 pick. Gay aint gonna cut it on his own. Yeah, they get a nice player but his contract goes against what they're working on down there. So, something else would have to be added.

I like to use the Thunder/Celtics deal as a good example of a lotto trade.

Thunder inbound:
      #5 selection (Jeff Green)

Thunder outbound:

Ray Allen (in his prime)
      Big Baby (prospect, unknown upside)

Now that was for the 5th pick.

The third option in the poll is just totally over the top for me. LOL
      This draft way way weaker than 07
      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        Simply no. I can not take another losing season. That's pretty much what that trade would mean.
        I can if they're getting the #1 pick for Gay. They would be a total coup even if there isn't really a locked in consensus #1(hence, they're moving it).

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        This draft way way weaker than 07
        Says you but I've heard this about many drafts. It doesn't mean it's so. Just wait until after workouts... In the meantime there is an expectation that comes with the #1 and they can't move if unless they reach a certain amount of inbound assets. That's why Colangelo couldn't move the #1 in 2008.
        Last edited by Apollo; Wed May 29, 2013, 04:32 PM. Reason: year edit

Comment

I think it would be a no brainer if we could move Gay for Varejao, Gee, and the #1 pick. This trade would have to include Varejao and Gee to get the salary to work, so you might as well think of it with them included. We get our starting PF in Varejao, who was playing like a beast before going down with injury. We also get the #1 pick, which we could use on someone like Otto Porter if we want a great replacement for Gay at SF, who is way cheaper and can grow with JV. Or we could use it on McLemore, making DD that much more expendable. Or whoever you fancy in the draft, those are just two guys I think would fit.
          We also save $5.6M in salary next year, and could clear both contracts in 2014/15 if we choose to do so (Verejao and Gee aren't full guaranteed in 2014/15), saving $19.3M in salary. Even if we kept both we'd still be saving $6.6M in salary. I'm guessing we'd only keep Varejao, and be saving $10.6M in salary.

What exactly is the downside? I'm expecting the new GM to make big moves like this which result in the team getting younger, cheaper, but still be competitive. I think it'd be a steal and I would be amazed if Cleveland was willing to deal the #1 pick for Rudy Gay.

Comment

I can if they're getting the #1 pick for Gay. They would be a total coup even if there isn't really a locked in consensus #1(hence, they're moving it).

Says you but I've heard this about many drafts. It doesn't mean it's so. Just wait until after workouts... In the meantime there is an expectation that comes with the #1 and they can't move if unless they reach a certain amount of inbound assets. That's why Colangelo couldn't move the #1 in 2007.
            No consensus #1 pick. The player seen as the closes to consensus is out with rehabbing a torn ACL. With a ceiling of Tyson Chandler. The other players are not franchise changers and you could say that none of these player will be any better than Rudy Gay.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Can we trade Bargnani for the #1 pick instead?

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                If only Andrea had a decent season that we could at least been a thought
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                  only in dreams

I can see it now...Varejao and the #1 pick for Bargnani....Cleveland also forfeits home games vs. the Raptors, so that guys don't have to travel to that dump.

Comment

I think they will want JV and something else for the #1 pick. Gay aint gonna cut it on his own. Yeah, they get a nice player but his contract goes against what they're working on down there. So, something else would have to be added.

I like to use the Thunder/Celtics deal as a good example of a lotto trade.

Thunder inbound:
                    #5 selection (Jeff Green)

Thunder outbound:

Ray Allen (in his prime)
                    Big Baby (prospect, unknown upside)

Now that was for the 5th pick.

The third option in the poll is just totally over the top for me. LOL
                    theres always the chance these drafts players may surprise everyone and turn out to be a star, but general opinion goes the other direction. cavs will not get much for #1 pick.

Comment

I know and it doesn't matter, you don't want to be known as the guy who gives away the #1 because you're scared of it. It's a political thing. Like I said, based on what I read about '08, it's why Colangelo couldn't pull the trigger to move down.

Once more, you don't know what happens during workouts. The internet sites you're reading get it wrong many, many years. Don't take what they think as the word of God. Waiters catapulted up after workouts last year for example. What were they saying before that? Not much.

Comment

I would honestly be surprised if any of these players in the top 5 become a better player than Rudy Gay.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Gay isn't enough - Part II

The Cleveland Cavaliers are fielding calls from everywhere, but the team they’d really like to to make a deal with is Minnesota.

And if the Timberwolves are willing to surrender Kevin Love, the No. 1 pick is available to them, sources tell SheridanHoops.com.
                          Source: Sheridan Hoops

That's asking price, sure they may not get it but above is the mindset of the Cavs right now.

Comment

Source: Sheridan Hoops

That's asking price, sure they may not get it but above is the mindset of the Cavs right now.
                            They won't get it. If they do it's cause Minny knows they can't keep K Love in free agency.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                              I think it would be a no brainer if we could move Gay for Varejao, Gee, and the #1 pick. This trade would have to include Varejao and Gee to get the salary to work, so you might as well think of it with them included. We get our starting PF in Varejao, who was playing like a beast before going down with injury. We also get the #1 pick, which we could use on someone like Otto Porter if we want a great replacement for Gay at SF, who is way cheaper and can grow with JV. Or we could use it on McLemore, making DD that much more expendable. Or whoever you fancy in the draft, those are just two guys I think would fit.
                              We also save $5.6M in salary next year, and could clear both contracts in 2014/15 if we choose to do so (Verejao and Gee aren't full guaranteed in 2014/15), saving $19.3M in salary. Even if we kept both we'd still be saving $6.6M in salary. I'm guessing we'd only keep Varejao, and be saving $10.6M in salary.

What exactly is the downside? I'm expecting the new GM to make big moves like this which result in the team getting younger, cheaper, but still be competitive. I think it'd be a steal and I would be amazed if Cleveland was willing to deal the #1 pick for Rudy Gay.
                              Rebuilding without tanking. Exhibit A.

Varejao = expiring, good vet presence, allows you to ditch Gray if you want
                              #1 pick = asset to use or trade
                              Alonzo Gee = also expiring and can fill a need on this team while he's here

If not this move, then similar move(s). This is how you improve financial flex and asset accrual while not actively trying to lose more games.
                              Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Memphis tried to move Gay for a long time and were finally able to trade him to the Raptors for Ed Davis, Jose Calderon, and a lottery pick that was probably projected in the 7-9 range. And yet, someone thinks he's now worth Andy and the 1st overall pick.

What has Gay showed in Toronto to warrant the Raptors to seek a better package than Memphis received?

The fact Gay can't shoot the corner three with consistencies makes him a less than ideal fit in Cleveland. Gee was asked to develop that shot over the last two seasons and he failed. Good 4th wing but Gee is not a starter-quality player.

The consensus on RealCavsFans is Cleveland would like to trade down to select Otto, Oladipo or Len, or package it with other assets to obtain an all-star player, like Kevin Love or LaMarcus Aldridge. Rudy Gay just isn't good enough to be put in that category.

I believe the most likely scenario is Cleveland will keep the pick and select Nerlens Noel. I would not be surprised if they acquire the Dallas pick and package it with other picks to obtain another pick in the 5 - 7 range.

Comment

Working...
                                X