Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Cavs are looking to move top pick, Gay for #1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    Cleveland was on the receiving end of a salary dump by Memphis and gave up very little in return. Cleveland showed no interest in Gay at the time and now it's 1st + Andy or 1st + TT?

I would like some of what Raptors fans are smoking.

The Gay trades suggested are all salary dump; all involve the Raptors trading more salary than they receive and not just by a small margin.
    Yeah Andy or TT plus #1 is ridiculous to begin with. I was thinking CJ Miles or Gee because the salaries just might not make it with gay alone.

The priorities of the Cavs may have changed with Gilbert now wanting playoffs after a miserable end to the season following trade deadline.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

I can interpret this two entirely different ways. Are you for him staying or do you want him out of here because of the price tag? His game jumped this season when he landed in Toronto. It was time for him to leave Memphis and he could be a good long term option should the next two years go right by the team showing him they have the best intentions of putting the team before all else and they are competent.
      I could make the argument either way.

i am more inclined to keep Gay despite his contract.

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
        dude how did you start this thread with a straight face and then proceed to call the raps' acquisition of rudy gay a salary dump for memphis?

like, they looked carefully at their roster and decided (correctly) "he just ain't worth it!" and then immediately got better redistributing his shots to conley and bayless and pondexter.
        Quite easily actually.

First of all I gave no opinion in the thread. It was a genuine interest in to what Posters around here thought. You seem to miss the point of the forums: discussion.

Different teams have different financials abilities and circumstances. What is a dump for Memphis to avoid luxury tax this season and beyond might be an acquisition for a team in perimeter help like Toronto or Cleveland with Clevelamd actually having cap space to take him with no fear of luxury tax whereas Toronto has resources to pay tax if needed.

Comment

presumably those sources are thinking of young bigs or small forwards like jonas or mkg, not "young" players on max contracts entering their 8th seasons like rudy gay or brook lopez, though lopez did just put up a PER north or 24 i believe

i think val is probably the only asset we have the cavs would consider, which, no thank you
          Read the originals post again: why is Cleveland looking to make the deal the pick? To make playoffs next season. Do you think MKG helps with that goal? I don't. Look through league for young SF that will help make playoffs. There are not many.

Comment

because it's not baseball and you can't stockpile pretty good players on crazy contracts.

yeah but he gets paid 18 million! there is no value in that! you could draft porter and get 75% of what gay can do for a third of the price, though i would personally go for burke as i see no scenario where he does suceed in today's game.

i'd call this an unprecedented proposition except the nets traded a top 3 protected pick that turned out to be damian lillard for gerald wallace just last year.
            Or you draft porter and be becomes Wesley Johnson. Or Burke is the next Adam Moorison (POY) or Johnny Flynn (PG).

You know what you are getting with Gay and it is not easy to come by as the Raps showed for 8 years between VC and Gay.

Comment

also thinking about it for 30 more seconds he might be a better fit as he's billed as a very good overall player who does most things well but nothing spectacular, and could blend in, whereas rudy demands touches and would there be enough to go around with irving and waiters?
              Or what happens if he is Wesley Johnson?

Comment

lol. i dunno what to tell you then. memphis just replaced rudy gay with an ancient and decrepit tayshaun prince and didn't miss a beat.
                With:
                23 of 38 games played versus lotto teams.
                Round 1 vs injured Paul and griffin
                Round 2 sans Westbrook
                Round 3 steam rolled by spurs

Comment

I think Ben McLemore is a better fit to play alongside KL, & DD. We desperately need perimeter shooting. Taking Noel, and losing him for half the season, would definitely help the team secure a higher pick in next year's draft.

I would totally trade Gay for #1 straight up.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Or you draft porter and be becomes Wesley Johnson. Or Burke is the next Adam Moorison (POY) or Johnny Flynn (PG).

You know what you are getting with Gay and it is not easy to come by as the Raps showed for 8 years between VC and Gay.
                    I absolutely agree with the first bold, and there is value in that itself.

But the 2nd bold, no team is this league will get a player 'like Gay' if they are middling teams that don't draft well, rarely have cap space, and rarely have assets worth trading for (or they can't afford to give up - or overvalue for that matter). There have been plenty of opportunities for the Raps to have got their hands on Gay calibre players (and better), just not with Colangelo running the franchise the way he did.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      Read the originals post again: why is Cleveland looking to make the deal the pick? To make playoffs next season. Do you think MKG helps with that goal? I don't. Look through league for young SF that will help make playoffs. There are not many.
                      It's bizarre that the bold is discussed on this board but not on the RealCavsFans board. The consensus there is if we can acquire a star player, so be it.

Trading the first pick is an option partly because there are concerns whether Thompson and Noel would create serious spacing issues on offense (their defense would be great though). I tend to agree for the 2013-14 season but I am not betting against Thompson developing range this upcoming season. He unveiled a right-handed jump shot in the last 5 games and his form was not bad, and that less than 50 games after he unveiled a push shot. He will be very difficult to guard if he can develop range up to 15 feet because he has the handle and the speed to blow by big men guarding him to close.

While Noel has no offensive game at this time, I believe he is the best player in the draft and we do need to address the center position long-term.

Trading down to pick Otto would be ideal because Otto looks like a great fit in Cleveland. Trading down to select Len would work also.
                      Last edited by Hugmenot; Thu May 30, 2013, 10:49 AM.

Comment

It's bizarre that the bold is discussed on this board but not on the RealCavsFans board. The consensus there is if we can acquire a start player, so be it.

Trading the first pick is an option partly because there are concerns whether Thompson and Noel would create serious spacing issues on offense (their defense would be great though). I tend to agree for the 2013-14 season but I am not betting against Thompson developing range this upcoming season. He unveiled a right-handed jump shot in the last 5 games and his form was not bad, and that less than 50 games after he unveiled a push shot. He will be very difficult to guard if he can develop range up to 15 feet because he has the handle and the speed to blow by big men guarding him to close.

While Noel has no offensive game at this time, I believe he is the best player in the draft and we do need to address the center position long-term.

Trading down to pick Otto would be ideal because Otto looks like a great fit in Cleveland. Trading down to select Len would work also.
                        As a Cavs fan, how do you feel about Cousins? Maybe you already talked about him, but since his name has also been mentioned in the rumours. Do you see him as a fit in any way?

I still think there's basically no way it makes sense for either Toronto or Cleveland to deal directly with each other about the #1 pick....But I am curious to see where Cleveland takes discussions with other teams, as I'd love for the Raps to get in as a 3rd team, and possibly even unload Bargnani somewhere.

My original thought, as I repost the idea, was something like this when I saw Cousins name

Toronto gets: T. Thompson and J. Salmons
                        Cleveland gets: Cousins *(and maybe Sacto's #7 pick?)
                        Sacto gets: #1 pick and Bargnani

I don't know if Cleveland gives up Thompson....but I figure there's a fair chance if they trade for a big, even with the #1 pick going out. I also imagine if Sacto includes their 1st rd pick going to Cleveland as well (7th pick), then this really might have a chance.
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu May 30, 2013, 11:16 AM.

Comment

It's bizarre that the bold is discussed on this board but not on the RealCavsFans board. The consensus there is if we can acquire a star player, so be it.

Fan boards discussions? Who gives a shit what fans want. Ownership wants to make the playoffs.

My comment is based on the reports that suggest the cavs are looking to move the pick and the reason given as to why.

Comment

Why are the Cavs serious being discussed this forum? Who cares!
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                              Why are the Cavs serious being discussed this forum? Who cares!
                              Feel free to bring up any Raptors news...oh wait....

Comment

[QUOTE=isaacthompson;210075]Absolutely.

Kinda funny this comes up; if we go for Otto Porter, there are some similarities between the two. Share the same jersey number too.

Watch the first part of this video, especially the three from 0:05 to 0:08, and tell me his play doesn't look exactly like Rudy:

Not exactly the same. Porter's shot went in!
                                There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Comment

Working...
                                X