View Poll Results: Would you do Gay for #1?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 41.18%
  • No

19 37.25%
  • Cavs would have to add more to the deal

11 21.57%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: If Cavs are looking to move top pick, Gay for #1?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote chris wrote: View Post
    also thinking about it for 30 more seconds he might be a better fit as he's billed as a very good overall player who does most things well but nothing spectacular, and could blend in, whereas rudy demands touches and would there be enough to go around with irving and waiters?
    Or what happens if he is Wesley Johnson?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote chris wrote: View Post
    lol. i dunno what to tell you then. memphis just replaced rudy gay with an ancient and decrepit tayshaun prince and didn't miss a beat.
    With:
    23 of 38 games played versus lotto teams.
    Round 1 vs injured Paul and griffin
    Round 2 sans Westbrook
    Round 3 steam rolled by spurs

Post Thanks / Like

I think Ben McLemore is a better fit to play alongside KL, & DD. We desperately need perimeter shooting. Taking Noel, and losing him for half the season, would definitely help the team secure a higher pick in next year's draft.

I would totally trade Gay for #1 straight up.

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Or you draft porter and be becomes Wesley Johnson. Or Burke is the next Adam Moorison (POY) or Johnny Flynn (PG).

You know what you are getting with Gay and it is not easy to come by as the Raps showed for 8 years between VC and Gay.
    I absolutely agree with the first bold, and there is value in that itself.

But the 2nd bold, no team is this league will get a player 'like Gay' if they are middling teams that don't draft well, rarely have cap space, and rarely have assets worth trading for (or they can't afford to give up - or overvalue for that matter). There have been plenty of opportunities for the Raps to have got their hands on Gay calibre players (and better), just not with Colangelo running the franchise the way he did.

5. Like jimmie liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Read the originals post again: why is Cleveland looking to make the deal the pick? To make playoffs next season. Do you think MKG helps with that goal? I don't. Look through league for young SF that will help make playoffs. There are not many.
    It's bizarre that the bold is discussed on this board but not on the RealCavsFans board. The consensus there is if we can acquire a star player, so be it.

Trading the first pick is an option partly because there are concerns whether Thompson and Noel would create serious spacing issues on offense (their defense would be great though). I tend to agree for the 2013-14 season but I am not betting against Thompson developing range this upcoming season. He unveiled a right-handed jump shot in the last 5 games and his form was not bad, and that less than 50 games after he unveiled a push shot. He will be very difficult to guard if he can develop range up to 15 feet because he has the handle and the speed to blow by big men guarding him to close.

While Noel has no offensive game at this time, I believe he is the best player in the draft and we do need to address the center position long-term.

Trading down to pick Otto would be ideal because Otto looks like a great fit in Cleveland. Trading down to select Len would work also.
    Last edited by Hugmenot; Thu May 30th, 2013 at 10:49 AM.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Hugmenot wrote: View Post
    It's bizarre that the bold is discussed on this board but not on the RealCavsFans board. The consensus there is if we can acquire a start player, so be it.

Trading the first pick is an option partly because there are concerns whether Thompson and Noel would create serious spacing issues on offense (their defense would be great though). I tend to agree for the 2013-14 season but I am not betting against Thompson developing range this upcoming season. He unveiled a right-handed jump shot in the last 5 games and his form was not bad, and that less than 50 games after he unveiled a push shot. He will be very difficult to guard if he can develop range up to 15 feet because he has the handle and the speed to blow by big men guarding him to close.

While Noel has no offensive game at this time, I believe he is the best player in the draft and we do need to address the center position long-term.

Trading down to pick Otto would be ideal because Otto looks like a great fit in Cleveland. Trading down to select Len would work also.
    As a Cavs fan, how do you feel about Cousins? Maybe you already talked about him, but since his name has also been mentioned in the rumours. Do you see him as a fit in any way?

I still think there's basically no way it makes sense for either Toronto or Cleveland to deal directly with each other about the #1 pick....But I am curious to see where Cleveland takes discussions with other teams, as I'd love for the Raps to get in as a 3rd team, and possibly even unload Bargnani somewhere.

My original thought, as I repost the idea, was something like this when I saw Cousins name

Toronto gets: T. Thompson and J. Salmons
    Cleveland gets: Cousins *(and maybe Sacto's #7 pick?)
    Sacto gets: #1 pick and Bargnani

I don't know if Cleveland gives up Thompson....but I figure there's a fair chance if they trade for a big, even with the #1 pick going out. I also imagine if Sacto includes their 1st rd pick going to Cleveland as well (7th pick), then this really might have a chance.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu May 30th, 2013 at 11:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

It's bizarre that the bold is discussed on this board but not on the RealCavsFans board. The consensus there is if we can acquire a star player, so be it.

Fan boards discussions? Who gives a shit what fans want. Ownership wants to make the playoffs.

My comment is based on the reports that suggest the cavs are looking to move the pick and the reason given as to why.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are the Cavs serious being discussed this forum? Who cares!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Why are the Cavs serious being discussed this forum? Who cares!
    Feel free to bring up any Raptors news...oh wait....

Raptors Republic Rookie RobertArchibald's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=isaacthompson;210075]Absolutely.

Kinda funny this comes up; if we go for Otto Porter, there are some similarities between the two. Share the same jersey number too.

Watch the first part of this video, especially the three from 0:05 to 0:08, and tell me his play doesn't look exactly like Rudy:

Not exactly the same. Porter's shot went in!
    There's math, and everything else is debatable.

@clericalbeats

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt, Why do you feel the need to swear when someone points out something contrary to what you wrote? It's twice in the past week.

Also, why do you keep posting here if you truly believe it does not matter what fans want? Wouldn't be just an exercise in futility?

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

May be unrelated why is there an uprise of so many players wanting #22 ?? Wiggins is also #22 come on kids pick a number to make your own. DeMar picked 10 love that.

Post Thanks / Like

Matt, Why do you feel the need to swear when someone points out something contrary to what you wrote? It's twice in the past week.

Also, why do you keep posting here if you truly believe it does not matter what fans want? Wouldn't be just an exercise in futility?
    I have no f*cking idea. Why do you feel the need to change the conversation in to something personal when your previous attempt to discredit or disprove my comment/opinion/idea was ignoring an important piece of information from the original news/rumour report?

Why do people discuss politics yet never vote? Beats the hell out of me. As to why I post, finding people with common interests and sharing ideas is why I come here. Your attempt to discredit or belittle is noted but I guess it comes with the territory when one is as active and opinionated on this forum as I am. It is a big reason why I voluntarily stopped moderating.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't trade Gay for the #1 pick in this years draft straight up. I'm running through the list of the candidates to go first in this years draft and I don't see anyone that can replace what Gay gives you. It would also make DeMar the first scoring option and God help us if that happens. Not to mention that Gay's contract will be coveted by many teams, so good trade possibilites might be out there for the Raptors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't trade Gay for the #1 pick in this years draft straight up. I'm running through the list of the candidates to go first in this years draft and I don't see anyone that can replace what Gay gives you. It would also make DeMar the first scoring option and God help us if that happens. Not to mention that Gay's contract will be coveted by many teams, so good trade possibilites might be out there for the Raptors.
    Say what?!

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Axel wrote: View Post
    Say what?!
    Sorry, I should clarify that it would be coveted in a couple of years when it becomes and expiring contract. I beleive it coincides with the year LeBron's contract expires, as well as Bosh and D. Wade. That plus whomever else is a big name free agent that season should make for a good number of teams that will be looking to get under the cap. Gay's contract would come in handy as an trade asset at that point.

18. Like white men can't jump liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, I should clarify that it would be coveted in a couple of years when it becomes and expiring contract. I beleive it coincides with the year LeBron's contract expires, as well as Bosh and D. Wade. That plus whomever else is a big name free agent that season should make for a good number of teams that will be looking to get under the cap. Gay's contract would come in handy as an trade asset at that point.
    And by that point we'll know what his value/role should be on this team, so the organization should feel comfortable trading him if they don't want to keep him, or don't think he'll be worth what he'll be asking for.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu May 30th, 2013 at 01:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Agreed.

I just hope there are not too many expirings on the market.

Toronto is going to have about $42M - assuming Bargnani stays the duration, $30M otherwise.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Gay's contract if far more valuable in extracting assets than getting below cap. I don't see Toronto being a stop for any high profile FA unless the team is willing to pay Rudy Gay money.

Raptors Republic Rookie JStockton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Why are some people referring to the proposed trade of Gay and the #1 pick as "straight up", when that could never happen given Gay's salary. The proposed trade would only work if the #1 pick is packaged with other players.

Thread Information