View Poll Results: Would you do Gay for #1?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 41.18%
  • No

19 37.25%
  • Cavs would have to add more to the deal

11 21.57%
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: If Cavs are looking to move top pick, Gay for #1?

Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote JStockton wrote: View Post
    Why are some people referring to the proposed trade of Gay and the #1 pick as "straight up", when that could never happen given Gay's salary. The proposed trade would only work if the #1 pick is packaged with other players.
    It would be awfully close after July 1.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It would be awfully close after July 1.
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but even if Rudy Gay were to pick up his 2014-2015 option (assuming a trade to the Cavs) they would still be able to wiggle into the room to provide a max salary to a big-name free agent...assuming there is one that interests them. As I said though, please do correct me if I did the numbers wrong (math was never my strength).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Shantz wrote: View Post
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but even if Rudy Gay were to pick up his 2014-2015 option (assuming a trade to the Cavs) they would still be able to wiggle into the room to provide a max salary to a big-name free agent...assuming there is one that interests them. As I said though, please do correct me if I did the numbers wrong (math was never my strength).
    If they did not pick up gee's contract, did not sign any free agents, dropped Zeller, and cap went up a few million, it would be very close. They also have team option on AV that if declined would make an easy yes.

So if they took on Gay they theoretically might be able to sign another max, but realistically no.

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If they did not pick up gee's contract, did not sign any free agents, dropped Zeller, and cap went up a few million, it would be very close. They also have team option on AV that if declined would make an easy yes.

So if they took on Gay they theoretically might be able to sign another max, but realistically no.
    How could they drop Zeller? He's a 1st round pick, aren't you on the hook for the 3 years no matter what?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    How could they drop Zeller? He's a 1st round pick, aren't you on the hook for the 3 years no matter what?
    Only 2 years guaranteed on rookie deals.

They could also do what Houston is reportedly trying to do with Robinson.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    So they have to toss something else in and if this is the case it's even less likely Gay is enough.

Post Thanks / Like

The thread started talking about Gay to Cleveland for #1.

What about any other teams in the lottery?

Do you see any teams that might want to add Rudy?

Washington?
    Rudy and Bargnani for Okafor, Ariza, Seraphin, and #3?

Charlotte?
    Rudy for Ben Gordon, Ramon Sessoins, and #4?
    Rudy and Bargnani for Gordon, Thomas, Sessions, #4, and 2014 Pistons?

Phoenix?
    Rudy for Dudley, Scola, Brown, and 2014 MIN pick and 2015 Lakers pick?

NO?
    Rudy for Anderson, #6?

SAC?
    Rudy for Salmons, Thompson, Fredette, #7?

PHI?
    Rudy for Turner, sign and trade Wright, #11?

UTA?
    Rudy for sign and trade Milsap and #14?
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No. Rudy Gay is probably better than player in draft will be.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The thread started talking about Gay to Cleveland for #1.

What about any other teams in the lottery?

Do you see any teams that might want to add Rudy?

Washington?
    Rudy and Bargnani for Okafor, Ariza, Seraphin, and #3?

Charlotte?
    Rudy for Ben Gordon, Ramon Sessoins, and #4?
    Rudy and Bargnani for Gordon, Thomas, Sessions, #4, and 2014 Pistons?

Phoenix?
    Rudy for Dudley, Scola, Brown, and 2014 MIN pick and 2015 Lakers pick?

NO?
    Rudy for Anderson, #6?

SAC?
    Rudy for Salmons, Thompson, Fredette, #7?

PHI?
    Rudy for Turner, sign and trade Wright, #11?

UTA?
    Rudy for sign and trade Milsap and #14?
    This is an interesting option, actually targeting other drafts. I don't really want Brown. Maybe PHX would send a TPE instead?

Scola and Dudley are two guys I've always liked. And it would be great to get 2 1st round picks.

Another possibility is maybe aiming smaller and cutting the deal in half using DeMar. Try to get Scola, Dudley and one of the 1st rd picks you mention. Definitely stress getting one of the picks, and settle for a different package of players/cash if they won't give Scola and Dudley, but insist at least one is included.

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rudy Gay is better than any of the players in this draft. So the answer is no.

People in this forum talk like Rudy Gay is a scrub. It drives me nuts. I don't get it. I mean, he's the Raps best player. Best wing player we've had by far since Vince. The guy is only 27 years old. He's a guy that is capable of putting 20+ppg and 6rpg every year. He's an all-star caliber type of player, great scorer, can create his own shot, clutch.

If the Raptors want to blow this thing up and tank for Wiggins then yeah i guess i'm all for moving Gay. But if they want to make the playoffs and rebuild along the way then you have to keep him.
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

12. Like Nilanka, Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TRex wrote: View Post
    Rudy Gay is better than any of the players in this draft. So the answer is no.

People in this forum talk like Rudy Gay is a scrub. It drives me nuts. I don't get it. I mean, he's the Raps best player. Best wing player we've had by far since Vince. The guy is only 27 years old. He's a guy that is capable of putting 20+ppg and 6rpg every year. He's an all-star caliber type of player, great scorer, can create his own shot, clutch.

If the Raptors want to blow this thing up and tank for Wiggins then yeah i guess i'm all for moving Gay. But if they want to make the playoffs and rebuild along the way then you have to keep him.
    We have been agreeing a lot lately

Raptors Republic Superstar TRex's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    We have been agreeing a lot lately
    That's not a bad thing i can tell you that
    Follow me on Twitter - @11_RRyan

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt the offer is available but if it is I think you have to take it. immediately gives the team their financial flexibility back, opens up way more options for a bargs trade and Gay (capitalized for Matt) isn't going to take us far anyway. demar shifts to 3 Ross comes in at 2 and you either trade the pick again for more assets or roll the dice.

Post Thanks / Like

Zach Lowe shooting the poop on Gay trade possibilities from early January.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...e-will-he-land
    Tim Leiweke

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

If this was actually on the table you do it. Gives us the perfect avenue to rebuild the team.

I'd love to then take the #1 and trade down and force the other team to pick up Fields' deal. Select Burke at the new spot.

Ship out/amnesty Bargnani as planned as well.

Then you look at moving Lowry for a 2014 pick and tank the season in order to be in contention for Parker/Wiggins, and maybe a guy like McAdoo with the pick you trade Lowry for.

Burke
    DeRozan
    Wiggins
    McAdoo
    Valanciunas

Post Thanks / Like

The Jazz have a lot of cap space this summer.

Next summer Favors and Hayward will be up for extensions.

Do you think Marvin Williams ($7.5M expiring and just had surgery), Hayward, and a 2014 pick is a good enough return? Or would Utah even bother?

Doing this still allows Utah to keep their Bird Rights for Milsap and Jefferson for possible sign and trades.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

The Jazz have a lot of cap space this summer.

Next summer Favors and Hayward will be up for extensions.

Do you think Marvin Williams ($7.5M expiring and just had surgery), Hayward, and a 2014 pick is a good enough return? Or would Utah even bother?

Doing this still allows Utah to keep their Bird Rights for Milsap and Jefferson for possible sign and trades.
    I personally don't think Hayward & #14 pick are worth it. Even if Ujiri decides to go into full 'blow it up' mode, I would think there are better deals available for Gay, which would return a combination of expiring contracts, prospects on rookie-scale contracts and draft picks. Hayward doesn't impress me and the #14 pick in this year's draft is too big a gamble.

If the Jazz expect to lose both Millsap and Jefferson, I'd rather see Toronto pursue a big trade involving DeRozan and Bargnani, to land Millsap, filler (ie: Williams' expiring contract) and maybe a pick.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I personally don't think Hayward & #14 pick are worth it. Even if Ujiri decides to go into full 'blow it up' mode, I would think there are better deals available for Gay, which would return a combination of expiring contracts, prospects on rookie-scale contracts and draft picks. Hayward doesn't impress me and the #14 pick in this year's draft is too big a gamble.

If the Jazz expect to lose both Millsap and Jefferson, I'd rather see Toronto pursue a big trade involving DeRozan and Bargnani, to land Millsap, filler (ie: Williams' expiring contract) and maybe a pick.
    2014 pick

Honestly with all the bad press Rudy received after the trade about his salary and inefficiency, I'm not sure there is a great market out there for him if he was on the trade block.
    Tim Leiweke

Post Thanks / Like

2014 pick

Honestly with all the bad press Rudy received after the trade about his salary and inefficiency, I'm not sure there is a great market out there for him if he was on the trade block.
    Noted about the pick being in 2014, which makes the deal a bit more appealing. Hayward will be making $3.4M next season, then has a QO of $4.7M - I'm not sure I'd be in favor of paying Hayward possibly $5M+ per season. If the Raps are just looking for a salary dump for Gay, then it's not a bad deal, especially since Hayward could likely be flipped pretty easily right away or next offseason.

The bolded part is one of the reasons I keep going back to DeRozan as the team's primary trade asset. Yes Gay is older and yes Gay is overpaid, but I have a hard time seeing him return equal relative value to what DeRozan would return. Trading DeRozan would be about addding an asset for now and the future, whereas trading Gay would likely be more about dumping salary and adding a cheap risk/reward prospect (exactly what Memphis did).

I'm super curious to find out what direction Ujiri is planning to take this franchise! It will certainly help focus some of the discussion around RR, once we know whether we're looking at rebuild, retool or some sort of hybrid of the two.

Thread Information