Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeMar DeRozan - Year 4 Ascension To Stardom

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    The problem with DeRozan is that he's now a 4-year starting SG, making $9.5M annually, who can neither consistently knock-down a 3pt shot or play above-average perimeter defense. For a high-paid wing, one or both of those skills should be mandatory. He's still just an inefficient volume-scorer, unfortunately.

As for being a star, I agree that he'll never be a true star or even a team leader / 'face of the franchise' type player, due to his personality. It's not a knock against him - we are who we are - and he's just not that vocal, take responsibility for the team type of guy. He's a sidekick.
    Surprisingly, so is Russel Westbrook, but KD helps to make up for that. Hopefully, DD and Gay get the FG % up to respectable levels this year. In DeMar's defense, last season was the first time he's been looked to be the first option scoring the ball prior to the Gay trade. He increased the number of shots he took this past season from the last by approx. 25%.

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    DeMar is a great kid, but sometimes it's not just a mental think it's just that perhaps he doesn't have what it takes to be great. Random thought, but Paul George and DeMar were both pretty similar when they came into the league. Super athletic players that were big for their size and more raw that skilled or refined. Look at where George is now, especially as it relates to his 3 point shooting and handles, and look at where DeMar is. By all accounts DeMar is one of the hardest working players in the NBA, so why has George risen so much higher? Perhaps DD is just slower to get there and I hope that is the case, but sometime you just have to admit that maybe he doesn't have what it takes.
    It might also have to do with mentorship/coaching. Vogel is a better coach then Triano and Casey combined. George also got to play with Granger who is a much better player then Sonny Weems or Antoine Wright. Now that we have Gay it could help DeMar.

If we keep DeMar then I would be very interested in how he plays next season. Most SG's have their best statistical season at the age of 24. Would be interested to see how much of an impact his maturity and playing with Gay do for his game.

3. Like JStockton liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem with DeRozan is that he's now a 4-year starting SG, making $9.5M annually, who can neither consistently knock-down a 3pt shot or play above-average perimeter defense. For a high-paid wing, one or both of those skills should be mandatory. He's still just an inefficient volume-scorer, unfortunately.

As for being a star, I agree that he'll never be a true star or even a team leader / 'face of the franchise' type player, due to his personality. It's not a knock against him - we are who we are - and he's just not that vocal, take responsibility for the team type of guy. He's a sidekick.
    I agree he is secondary option. I feel like he is fairly effecient compared to other standing two guards(Not name D Wade). Most starting SG are shooting under 45 FG and DeMar is right under that.

Post Thanks / Like

Every single off-season Demar has worked on a new aspect of his game and he has improved in all those areas by a lot. After his first season he vowed to attack with a vengeance which he did. He then worked on his jump shot and came back a much better shooter in his third year. And last off season he said to be working on his post game which was considerably better this year, he was learning how to take advantage of miss match-ups and such and it was by far his best season yet.

Now he's saying he's going to come back next season with a 3 point shot. I think he's only going to get stronger, he'll start grabbing more rebounds, he even racked up a respectable amount of assists last season.

I still really believe in this guy and no matter what happens to him, be it staying in Toronto or being traded I think he has a legitimate chance to be an all-star in this league. A very coachable player who could do great things on a good team.

That's just my opinion though, I hope he shows up this next season.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

They said that about Nowitzki and you can say it about Duncan (but he was too good and won too quickly). It won't be because he'll (probably) never be good enough. I like the vocal part to come from your defensive leader and on occasion your main ballhandler. And I don't mean that in a Kobe-others-need-to-step-up-but-i'm-shooting-it-anyway kinda way.

Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Surprisingly, so is Russel Westbrook, but KD helps to make up for that. Hopefully, DD and Gay get the FG % up to respectable levels this year. In DeMar's defense, last season was the first time he's been looked to be the first option scoring the ball prior to the Gay trade. He increased the number of shots he took this past season from the last by approx. 25%.
    I don't have access to his pp stats, but last year Westbrook was much more efficient, probably thanks to Harden. If you look at the OKC offense in these play-offs without Westbrook you can actually see why they very often needed him to create havoc on offense; the others just can't do enough on offense and Durant can't create enough for others. Again I don't have the stats, so I might be wrong here, but I'm willing to make a bet that the efficiency of their role players went up a few notches with Westbrook on the court versus him off the court. Let's call it the Iverson-effect.

Raptors Republic Superstar Chr1s1anL's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Statisticulary DD had a pretty productive season compared to all the other starting SG in the league. If you look around the league your be hard pressed to find a handful of SG who put better numbers but, that's just numbers. 18.2 Pts 4 Rbs 3 Ast .445 FG. The dudes same age as me 23! What will it take for this fan base to appariciate him.

9. Like Rapstor4Life, JawsGT liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie JStockton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Too bad there is no video for year 5 or year 6, then we would have known what to do with DeRozan .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
    Statisticulary DD had a pretty productive season compared to all the other starting SG in the league. If you look around the league your be hard pressed to find a handful of SG who put better numbers but, that's just numbers. 18.2 Pts 4 Rbs 3 Ast .445 FG. The dudes same age as me 23! What will it take for this fan base to appariciate him.
    - bring same level of effort/aggression/passion every game
    - consistent output, which isn't limited to consistent scoring
    - improved defensive play
    - become a legit 3pt threat (this is the 3rd straight offseason of promising to work on his 3pt shot)
    - stop shooting so many long 2pt shots
    - don't take 15 shots per game to average 18 points per game (inefficiency)
    - stop complaining to the refs for every non-call after taking it soft to the hoop, purposefully avoiding contact, throwing up a circus shot and hoping for the refs to bail you out --> drive hard and finish with authority EVERY time, so the refs don't have a chance to NOT call a foul

Basically EARN his $9.5M salary.

---

On the other hand, I will appreciate DeRozan for being exactly who/what he is today, if he's traded for Millsap or Love.

It's sports and it might sound cold, but I appreciate every player on the Raptors' roster for their value as an asset, whether it's on the court winning games or as a trade chip.
    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Thu May 30th, 2013 at 05:03 PM.

12. Like Nilanka liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

...it might sound cold, but I appreciate every player on the Raptors' roster for their value as an asset, whether it's on the court winning games or as a trade chip.
    Damn, I'm shiverin' here. Cold, cold, cold.

Post Thanks / Like

The guys mentor is Gary Payton so you'd think defence would start clicking for him.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Basically, Demar should have not have agreed to work for $9.5 mil per season. He should have said, "Look Brian, I'm still young and growing as a basketball player. I really don't think I'm worth that much per season, and if I take it I'm sure I will not live up to the expectations that go along with it and I don't want to disappoint some of those crazy Raps fans. How about a 2 year extension at $6 mil? This would be more appropriate based on my previous performance and current potential. And hey, if after those 2 years I feel like I'm worth $9.5 mil per, then I'll be more than happy to sign that contract. But I'm not doing it until I prove to the fans that the organization isn't wasting valuable funds on a mediocre SG." lol

You are in a tough position young DeRozan. If you like playing in TO, I cannot see why. Nonetheless, I will support you and I will never harp on you for signing that contract...actually I will commend you for it. Good for you Demar!!

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Technically, you can only evaluate the guy relative to his rookie salary because that is what he was making this past season. For his rookie salary, I think he was a bargain. I have to reserve judgment until I see him this upcoming year but it's probably safe to say that he won't double his production moving forward.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote JawsGT wrote: View Post
    Basically, Demar should have not have agreed to work for $9.5 mil per season. He should have said, "Look Brian, I'm still young and growing as a basketball player. I really don't think I'm worth that much per season, and if I take it I'm sure I will not live up to the expectations that go along with it and I don't want to disappoint some of those crazy Raps fans. How about a 2 year extension at $6 mil? This would be more appropriate based on my previous performance and current potential. And hey, if after those 2 years I feel like I'm worth $9.5 mil per, then I'll be more than happy to sign that contract. But I'm not doing it until I prove to the fans that the organization isn't wasting valuable funds on a mediocre SG."
    Lol I don't think this has ever happened in this history of pro-sports.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote planetmars wrote: View Post
    It might also have to do with mentorship/coaching. Vogel is a better coach then Triano and Casey combined. George also got to play with Granger who is a much better player then Sonny Weems or Antoine Wright. Now that we have Gay it could help DeMar.

If we keep DeMar then I would be very interested in how he plays next season. Most SG's have their best statistical season at the age of 24. Would be interested to see how much of an impact his maturity and playing with Gay do for his game.
    Agree. George was pretty much producing the same numbers as Demar till he got thrust into being the #1 option because of Granger's injury. IMO, no matter how hard you work in the NBA, if your team doesnt peg you as the primary option, you probably wont be able to get to the next level. Before Casey, the Raptors were pretty much "defensively disabled" so i really cant expect Demar to be adept on defense when the coaches are not preaching it. His Drating did improve under Casey's direction.

Agree on the 2nd paragraph as well. Year after year, we've seen Demar improve, not enough to shake the world, but at least there was improvement. This year, all he has left to improve is his 3ball and defense. Knowing how hard he works in the offseason, i dont doubt he's doing his best to improve these 2.

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    The guys mentor is Gary Payton so you'd think defence would start clicking for him.
    That just started this year, right?

Post Thanks / Like

Frankly, if I were a professional sports athlete I would take $6 mil per season and actual championship contention over $9.5 mil and no playoffs. That's just me though.

Derozan is a valuable asset for any team, he could easily leave for a winning team, make a bit less money but actually contend and be relevant but he wants to help this organization win again. Got to respect that.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    I believe he worked with Gary last offseason on his post-up game, but don't quote me on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    No, from what I've read Gary and Demar have known each other since Demar was in high school!

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    It started maybe the last week before training camp... he hasnt spent that much time with him yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information