Goodbye Gherardini?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goodbye Gherardini?

So if Proli steps back, there is the scenario of hiring an iconic figure as president who can also be a basketball consultant – like Dino Meneghin or Dan Peterson – or a president/ general manager and the best man for this job is also Italian. Mauricio Gherardini is thinking about leaving Toronto Raptors and returning to Europe with Milano being his possible destination.

After the recent changes in the NBA team, Gherardini is on the verge of coming back in the old continent, he had already contacts with a Spanish club, but two Italians clubs can be his new home. The one is Milano and the other is one club that may be a rising power in the near future, Umana Venezia.

http://www.eurohoops.net/2013/05/dunks/26742

I can hear the sobs now.

This doesn't move the needle for me at all.

He seems to have disappeared since the bottom end of Bargnani's career has fallen out. Even before then, I'm not exactly sure what he really did for the organization outside of being a support figure during AB's initial stretch.

Comment

I honestly have no idea what he does. Seriously.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

It makes sense for him to go now. He is one of the most over hyped Raptors additions in recent years.

Flashback:

“We are thrilled to have a globally esteemed basketball executive like Maurizio Gherardini join the Toronto Raptors,” said Bryan Colangelo, president and general manager of the Raptors. “This is a ground breaking move for the league, appropriately with the NBA’s only true international franchise.”
        Source: Raptors.com

Comment

I've have not heard of him before. Not on my radar I guess....

Comment

I understand he was a gourmand and could get a table at the best restaurants in Europe. BC appreciated this.

I kid....but may not be too far off from the truth.

Comment

If I remember correctly they sold him as a mastermind European GM who would open doors in Europe and help unearth players other teams might not be as knowledgeable about. It was at the beginning of the European wave that hit the Raptors.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                If I remember correctly they sold him as a mastermind European GM who would open doors in Europe and help unearth players other teams might not be as knowledgeable about. It was at the beginning of the European wave that hit the Raptors.
                Yes that was basically it. Although we didn't do to badly internationally... calderon, garbo, and parker if you count him.

Edit: Although I have no idea to what extent you can place any of those players to Gheridini
                Last edited by ezz_bee; Thu May 30, 2013, 03:36 AM.
                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Haven't heard his name come up in quite a while, but with Barg's almost out the door I'm not surprised. Seems like he was only here to be Andrea's personal handler.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                    Yes that was basically it. Although we didn't do to badly internationally... calderon, garbo, and parker if you count him.

Edit: Although I have no idea to what extent you can place any of those players to Gheridini
                    Calderon was Babcock's find.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post

In other words, he's done nothing since 2006. Got it

Comment

Maybe MLSE can use Gherardini's salary to hire a new in-house DJ? Not sure how much more Beyonce and Rihanna I can handle...

Comment

I believe there was a close association between the Gherardini hire and the Bargnani pick....he may have even been the behind the scenes proponent for that pick. Regarding some of the euro players brought on I wonder how much influence Ujiri had...he was international scout around 06-07 and '10.

Comment

Gherardini in my opinion was the reason why we drafted JV. JV's buyout was a big issue for teams that passed on him (like Cleveland). Toronto despite the buyout went ahead and drafted him. Gherardini has ties in Europe and he may have been able to agree on a buyout for 1 year as opposed to 2 or 3.

I could be wrong, but I honestly believe that if Gherardini was not around then we would have drafted someone other than JV in the first round.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                              I could be wrong, but I honestly believe that if Gherardini was not around then we would have drafted someone other than JV in the first round.
                              Kawhi Leonard would've been a nice consolation prize

Comment

Working...
                              X