Raptors/Pacers season series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raptors/Pacers season series

Watching the Pacers in these playoffs specially against the Heat i'm impressed. And to think that we beat this team 2 out of 4 times this past season(almost 3 actually. Hill scored late in the clock back in game 1 of the season to give the Pacers the win). I really don't think this Raptors team is that far off from being a competitive team. And i also think they have a lot of similarities with this current Pacers team. I mean, the only thing that they're missing really is a David West type of a power forward.

Hibbert - Valanciunas
    West - N/A
    George - Gay
    Stephenson - DeRozan
    Hill - Lowry

JV i think is going to be a better player than Hibbert. George and Gay offset each other. Ok, i give the edge to George. Stephenson is a much better defender than DeRozan but DeRozan is a much better offensive player. Hill > Lowry.

What this team needs is a PF. No offense to Amir but i don't think he's good enough. If they can get a player like a Millsap or an Al Jefferson, they'll be one of the best team in the league.

Btw, Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap and JJ Hickson are all UFA's. David West is also a UFA but he's not going anywhere.
    Mamba Mentality

TRex wrote: View Post
    Watching the Pacers in these playoffs specially against the Heat i'm impressed. And to think that we beat this team 2 out of 4 times this past season(almost 3 actually. Hill scored late in the clock back in game 1 of the season to give the Pacers the win). I really don't think this Raptors team is that far off from being a competitive team. And i also think they have a lot of similarities with this current Pacers team. I mean, the only thing that they're missing really is a David West type of a power forward.

Hibbert - Valanciunas
    West - N/A
    George - Gay
    Stephenson - DeRozan
    Hill - Lowry

JV i think is going to be a better player than Hibbert. George and Gay offset each other. Ok, i give the edge to George. Stephenson is a much better defender than DeRozan but DeRozan is a much better offensive player. Hill > Lowry.

What this team needs is a PF. No offense to Amir but i don't think he's good enough. If they can get a player like a Millsap or an Al Jefferson, they'll be one of the best team in the league.

Btw, Al Jefferson, Paul Millsap and JJ Hickson are all UFA's. David West is also a UFA but he's not going anywhere.
    I've made this point a couple times. I'm glad that someone else shares the same thought. I would only disagree with you with the Hill/Lowry. I think Lowry is the better overall player. I also think that Stephenson is more of a glue guy. Just like I feel Landry Fields would be in the starting lineup. I like the idea of having the two duo wings scoring threat. I feel like JV will become more dominant low post scorer and DD/RG will take care of the perimeter scoring. As long Casey can get the D back to his first year. I don't see how this team doesn't involve into a different mould of this Pacer team.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I hate to rain on your parade, because the raps DID play well against the pacers but any argument that says the raps are close to being a good team because they played well against 1 particular team is completely negated by the following...

Raps got swept by the bucks (0-3) including a couple of games that really mattered down the stretch.
      and the Heat (0-4)

Bucks got swept by the Heat...

The raps are still a L O N G way from the pacers, despite playing well against them this season.

Just to put things in perspective here's how we did against other teams

We got swept by 8 teams during the regular season:
      Golden State 0 2
      Memphis 0 2
      Miami 0 3
      Milwaukee 0 3
      Oklahoma City 0 2
      Sacramento 0 2
      San Antonio 0 2
      Utah 0 2

We lost the regular season series to another 4 teams
      Atlanta 1 2
      Boston 1 3
      Brooklyn 1 3
      Philadelphia 1 3

3 of which are in our division...

We tied 12 regular season series':
      Charlotte 2 2
      Cleveland 2 2
      Dallas 1 1
      Denver 1 1
      Detriot 2 2
      Houston 1 1
      Indiana 2 2
      L. A. Clippers 1 1
      L. A. Lakers 1 1
      New York 2 2
      Portland 1 1
      Washington 2 2

We swept 4 series':
      Minnesota 2 0
      New Orleans 2 0
      Orlando 4 0
      Phoenix 2 0

And won 1 other regular season series:
      Chicago 2 1

So in case you are keeping track at home, we

Lost 12 out of 29 series, including 8 sweeps
      Tied 12 out of 29 series
      Won 5 out of 29 series, including 4 sweeps

We are not anywhere NEAR Indiana. If we played them in playoffs we'd be lucky to win 2 games.

EDIT

And to think that we beat this team 2 out of 4 times this past season(almost 3 actually. Hill scored late in the clock back in game 1 of the season to give the Pacers the win).
      We beat Indiana by 2 in both of our wins.
      We Lost by 2 in 1 game and 12 in the final meeting
      Cumulative score differential Indy, by 10...

If we came close to beating them 3 out 4, they came almost as close to sweeping us entirely.
      Last edited by ezz_bee; Thu May 30, 2013, 04:48 AM.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        I hate to rain on your parade, because the raps DID play well against the pacers but ....
        Exactly.

You can argue that playoff basketball is different Iand it is, for several reasons) but even my wife commented on the play during one of the Pacers/Miami games; on how much better either team looked than the Raptors.

Comment

A lot of the loses are dont forget from a shitty bench unit that was a complete negative anytime they stepped on the court, turnovers, no offense no defense nothing. The Raps starters showed they could play with any team but when ever the subs checked in all they did was start digging a hole.

Its not like we played those games against Bucks and Heat (save for 1 dreadful night against the Bucks) where the Raps were awful from the start, it was an overall theme Raps cruise playing awesome bench comes in wets the bed starters have to fight back and they lose. Rap Bench: Lucas, Ross, Anderson/and or Fields, Acy

A small SG chucker running point who cant execute the simplest of offenses, a rookie, a chucker playing above his talents, A glue guy that cant score and a undersized PF rookie.... what on Earth are people expecting.... I wont even list Bargnani you all know what he did this season..

Comment

The Pacers have David West and we have Amir Johnson, big difference. To improve this team, we need to acquire players like Millsap, Al Jeff, or Lamarcus Aldridge. Personally, I see Millsap as attainable by giving them DD + fillers and we flip Bargnani for a backup SG or SF + PG

Lowry/Backup PG VS Hill
            Fields/Ross Stephenson
            Gay/Backup SF George
            Millsap/Amir/Acy West
            Val/Gray Hibbert

Lowry = Hill
            Fields < Stephenson
            Gay = George
            Millsap < West
            Val > Hibbert

Comment

To win close games you need a big you can dump the ball to and score on the block. Same with the playoffs. Love Amir but he can't really do that. He's a great player, though. JV was showing some real promise at it. At the end of the season i'd get so enraged when they stopped running the offense through flying V.

I'd get a big who can score on the block, but more of a stopgap solution. I think Val will be able to do it consistently in the future, and when that happens amir will be the perfect compliment, but for now if they're serious about winning and playoffs they should get a dude like Jefferson or someone.
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Don't mistake the fact that the Raps match up well against Indiana with the idea that the Raps are close, etc. Indiana is a vastly superior team to Toronto. Pacers manhandled the Knicks and could very well be up 3-1 on Miami.

Raps are nowhere close to the Pacers and Heat.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                  A lot of the loses are dont forget from a shitty bench unit that was a complete negative anytime they stepped on the court, turnovers, no offense no defense nothing. The Raps starters showed they could play with any team but when ever the subs checked in all they did was start digging a hole.

Its not like we played those games against Bucks and Heat (save for 1 dreadful night against the Bucks) where the Raps were awful from the start, it was an overall theme Raps cruise playing awesome bench comes in wets the bed starters have to fight back and they lose. Rap Bench: Lucas, Ross, Anderson/and or Fields, Acy

A small SG chucker running point who cant execute the simplest of offenses, a rookie, a chucker playing above his talents, A glue guy that cant score and a undersized PF rookie.... what on Earth are people expecting.... I wont even list Bargnani you all know what he did this season..
                  Then how do we increase our depth?

Comment

RAPTORNATION wrote: View Post
                    Then how do we increase our depth?
                    Make some good moves there are plenty of free agents and pieces we can trade to tighten up thatt bench unit, the main problem was Lucas or Calderon I had no idea running point for 10-15 minutes a night could completely destroy the game so much.

Comment

I never get that Indiana comparison that comes up quite often lately. In my opinion they are built completely different than we. One small example: they would not like to play with a small point guard like Lowry; it's not a good fit for their style.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                        I never get that Indiana comparison that comes up quite often lately. In my opinion they are built completely different than we. One small example: they would not like to play with a small point guard like Lowry; it's not a good fit for their style.
                        It's the Hibbert/George and Val/Gay comparison. Also, I believe BC mentioned Indy as the type of buidling plan or structure or organic growth (or whatever the catch-phrase of the month was to distract the rubes) he was sorta, kinda following.

I also find that Raptor fans (like every other sports fan) mostly follow their own team. I don't think people realize how good Hibbert and West are as duo or how effective guys like George Hill and Paul George are cause they don't see them play more than a few times a year. Or that the Indy team is built around a defense-first philosophy whereas Toronto is built around the "glue a bunch of random stuff together in a big ball and hope it looks like art" philosophy.

Comment

I think the Indiana comparisons are even looser than that described above. It's basically boils down to, "look, they don't have a superstar player either, so we're totally like them"

Totally.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                            I agree. Going through position by position one can warrant making a comparison, but when looking at how these teams play...not so much. Indiana's success stems from their defense first mentality, they are not the most talented offensive group but they do have solid options and they take advantage of that with there inside-outside halfcourt offense. The Raps are built to move and have seemingly put their defense behind their offense in terms of developmental priority for the team. Indiana, I think, attempts to force teams to take tough shots and then gobble up the boards. Raps are risk takers defensively, trying to force turnovers and get out on the break. The Pacers are certainly a harder working team defensively, and often, I think, the best defensive teams are those that exhibit the hardest work ethic on that end of the floor. It's not just about knowing where you have to be on the court as the opposing team goes through its offensive motions, but knowing what it takes to get there and then actually commiting to executing that effort each and every play. The Pacers do this, the Raps do not and this is disconcerting considering Casey is a defensive coach and we actually had decent defense the previous season.

I'd like to see the Raps play more like the Pacers defensively, and if so, the comparison would make more sense. And here's to hoping JV continues to improve down low in order to facilitate an inside-outside offense. I'm still not on the upgrade the PF movement yet, but maybe if we move one of our starting wings (I guess that would be DD) I'd be more amenable to the idea.

Comment

tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                              The Pacers have David West and we have Amir Johnson, big difference. To improve this team, we need to acquire players like Millsap, Al Jeff, or Lamarcus Aldridge. Personally, I see Millsap as attainable by giving them DD + fillers and we flip Bargnani for a backup SG or SF + PG

Lowry/Backup PG VS Hill
                              Fields/Ross Stephenson
                              Gay/Backup SF George
                              Millsap/Amir/Acy West
                              Val/Gray Hibbert

Lowry = Hill
                              Fields < Stephenson
                              Gay = George
                              Millsap < West
                              Val > Hibbert
                              LOL.

You can't be serious...