Thomas Robinson anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    I would rather keep Ross than get Robinson...even with the hole at PF and glut of SGs..

Look, this is a rookie that 2 teams have traded and whose value is now such that Houston is basically looking to trade him for nothing. FOR NOTHING. Just for a better chance at Howard...I don't see what's so great about this guy and I've felt that way since his last year of college. Didn't look like his game would translate to the NBA. One of the typical cases of depending too much on a physical advantage but not having the actual skill-set to overcome the fact that that physical gap closes in the NBA.

And as for Howard, I still think regardless of where he goes, he probably gets signed and traded from LA for the best possible deal financially. In such a case, it's more important that LA wants some of Houston's assets, and so I don't think Houston will need the capspace to absorb all his salary, just some space to throw in a TPE if they have to. So I'm still a bit mystified by why they're just dumping this guy and think they figure they'd rather get a pick and some cash...that way they can choose a guy they're higher on and save money, which again, doesn't reflect highly on T-Rob since they have the roster space for him to develop at PF.

I easily see some sort of deal where Houston sends Asik, T. Jones, Delfino and a 1st rd pick to LA ...LA gets a young C, a young forward, a solid rotation wing who fits very well into a D'Antoni team, and a pick....and gets to save some money off what Howard would cost. They keep Gasol, who Asik fits well next to and behind. Jones could also thrive in D'Antoni's system since he is kind of a tweener forward.
    Morey will do anything to get a stud.. don't forget how they amnestied Scola, who is still a decent player, just in case they had a shot at Howard last year.

And if Howard wants to go to Houston why does LA need to get anything back? They took the gamble in trading for Howard but Houston does not need to do a sign and trade with LA if the have enough cap space to take on Howard's max contract.

Comment

I wouldnt trade T Ross for this kid but heres' an indepth video about him... with the other names on the board SAC F'd up with this pick.

Comment

what the heck no dice for ross
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          Morey will do anything to get a stud.. don't forget how they amnestied Scola, who is still a decent player, just in case they had a shot at Howard last year.

And if Howard wants to go to Houston why does LA need to get anything back? They took the gamble in trading for Howard but Houston does not need to do a sign and trade with LA if the have enough cap space to take on Howard's max contract.
          Don't the CBA rules still favour the old team with the right to sign an extra year, retaining his bird rights? I mean, please do correct me if I'm wrong.

But if I'm right, doesn't Howard then easily have the option to ask LA for the sign-and-trade option, so he can maximize the value of a new deal? I think Howard will definitely want the longest and most lucrative deal, especially given his recent physical concerns. This is also why LA was ok trading for him with no assurances of an extension. Just having his bird rights is valuable because they can blow any straight-up offer out of the water, and if he wants to leave and get the best deal, they can decide what they like from any other team. I mean, they could take a smaller number of assets and larger TPE, but I think they'd want some pieces they know they can use.

Comment

On the positive side of things he is a young big that can run the floor he runs the floor extremely well he is mobile and athletic ith pretty good handles, the fast break ops with him are crazy Rudy/DeMar/Thomas its pretty interesting. He dunked on Dwight Howard my most hated player in the league and thats a plus.

No Post game at all cant hit anything beyond 10 ft and has a tendency to take 3s like Josh smith (he took 14 of them in college hit 7 of them 50%)

Comment

we all laughed at morey year after year then he traded for Harden and made the playoffs and now here we are
              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                Don't the CBA rules still favour the old team with the right to sign an extra year, retaining his bird rights? I mean, please do correct me if I'm wrong.

But if I'm right, doesn't Howard then easily have the option to ask LA for the sign-and-trade option, so he can maximize the value of a new deal? I think Howard will definitely want the longest and most lucrative deal, especially given his recent physical concerns. This is also why LA was ok trading for him with no assurances of an extension. Just having his bird rights is valuable because they can blow any straight-up offer out of the water, and if he wants to leave and get the best deal, they can decide what they like from any other team. I mean, they could take a smaller number of assets and larger TPE, but I think they'd want some pieces they know they can use.
                Yes sorry you are right.. I thought the CBA changed but reading an article on ESPN it states that LA can offer 5 years / $120M where as Houston/Dallas/Atlanta can only offer 4 years / $90M. So LA could get something back. Perhaps Houston is hoping Howard will forgo that 5th year?

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/93...rd-sources-say

Although only the Lakers can offer a five-year deal to Howard worth nearly $120 million -- with leading external suitors Houston and Dallas limited to four-year offers worth just under $90 million -- L.A.'s financial advantage in trying to retain to Howard is not as robust as it seems. Not only does the absence of state taxes in Texas narrow the gap, but the strong likelihood that Howard, at 27, would opt out of a new deal to return to free agency before the fifth year lessens the Lakers' edge further.

Comment

People were wondering his to get Robinson. I just wanted to give an example of how.

Comment

Yes sorry you are right.. I thought the CBA changed but reading an article on ESPN it states that LA can offer 5 years / $120M where as Houston/Dallas/Atlanta can only offer 4 years / $90M. So LA could get something back. Perhaps Houston is hoping Howard will forgo that 5th year?

I just wonder whether Howard would. This could be his last max contract. That extra 30M is a lot to leave on the table.

And Houston definitely has some pieces LA could want, as well as cap space to assist any deal if the Lakers don't want to take too much money back. I also don't know why LA wouldn't do this. They don't really gain any flexibility if he walks for nothing. It was also pretty clear they don't exactly have a contender, and now with Kobe hurting his achilles...Yeah, I think they'd be ok with a sign-and-trade, because they need all the assets they can get.

I mean, Howard can pick his spot, but I don't know if any situation is more desirable than Houston, both for him, and as a trade partner for LA.

Comment

I just wonder whether Howard would. This could be his last max contract. That extra 30M is a lot to leave on the table.

And Houston definitely has some pieces LA could want, as well as cap space to assist any deal if the Lakers don't want to take too much money back. I also don't know why LA wouldn't do this. They don't really gain any flexibility if he walks for nothing. It was also pretty clear they don't exactly have a contender, and now with Kobe hurting his achilles...Yeah, I think they'd be ok with a sign-and-trade, because they need all the assets they can get.

I mean, Howard can pick his spot, but I don't know if any situation is more desirable than Houston, both for him, and as a trade partner for LA.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                        The problem with Robinson is he's PF size, but plays like a typical C. Which would be fine, but he doesn't have a touch around the rim. In college he basically muscled and bullied guys, thats not an option at his size in the NBA. He's not much of a floor runner, not much of a jump shooter, not much of a passer or ball handler.

He's a good rebounder and could become an excellent defender (although not a rim protector). If he can add a consistent 15fter and just a little something on the block, he's probably got an Antonio Davis ceiling. But he's also gonna have to learn how to get down and dirty - and he seems like too nice of a guy for that.
                        Not a floor runner? No much of a ball handler? Too nice of a guy? Umm have you seen this "man" play? End to end his probably just as fast as Amir. He has pretty good handle for his position. His best offence is using the drible and his speed to go by defenders. This "man" is furious competitor. His motor never stops. He rattle go through than around you.
                        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

No state taxes makes a big difference for a contract of that size if he's willing to only do 4 years.

If the Raptors gave up the 2015 1st round pick for him I'd do it in a sec. He didn't play in Houston because he can't shoot threes and they wanted to win now.
                          Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

T. Rob ain't worth anything better than a lottery protected pick. Giving anything more than that is a ripoff.

He may turn out to be good, even great, but right now, that's his worth.

Comment

I like what Robinson did in college, but i dunno. He kind of reminds me of Tyrus Thomas.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I would trade Ross for Robinson but I don't think that saves Houston enough money.

Comment

Working...
                                X