Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Prospects

Post Thanks / Like

Default Prospects

I currently believe we have 5 prospects on this roster and when I mean prospect I mean players aged under 25.
    1. Terrence Ross
    2. Jonas Valanciunas
    3. Quincy Acy
    4. Demar Derozan
    5. Landry Fields

What do you think these guys' ceilings and floors are? I see t-ross as a Brandon Roy(pre-injury) as a ceiling and a Jason Richardson type player as a floor, Jv Ceiling- Pau Gasol in his prime with a bit of Marc Gasol or the other way around Floor- Brook Lopez, Quincy Acy Ceiling- Amir Johnson 2.0 Floor- Reggie Evans with a jump shot or Jason Maxiell, DeMar DeRozan ceiling- a poor man's Vince in his prime Floor- Rudy Gay and Landry Ceiling- Shane Battier/Tayshaun Prince Floor- Matt Barnes
    #BringBackUzoh

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to be optimistic, but I think you are over valuing the prospects we have.

I try not compare our players to previous players in the league. It actually drives me crazy when commentators do this. Just evaluate them based on their own play. If you have to compare them to another player, they are be default not as good. If they were, then no comparisons would be needed.

Its not like people are comparing Lebron, Durant, Harden to previous players. Their play speaks for itself.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote feet85 wrote: View Post
    I currently believe we have 5 prospects on this roster and when I mean prospect I mean players aged under 25.
    1. Terrence Ross
    2. Jonas Valanciunas
    3. Quincy Acy
    4. Demar Derozan
    5. Landry Fields

What do you think these guys' ceilings and floors are? I see t-ross as a Brandon Roy(pre-injury) as a ceiling and a Jason Richardson type player as a floor, Jv Ceiling- Pau Gasol in his prime with a bit of Marc Gasol or the other way around Floor- Brook Lopez, Quincy Acy Ceiling- Amir Johnson 2.0 Floor- Reggie Evans with a jump shot or Jason Maxiell, DeMar DeRozan ceiling- a poor man's Vince in his prime Floor- Rudy Gay and Landry Ceiling- Shane Battier/Tayshaun Prince Floor- Matt Barnes
    Quote c_bcm wrote: View Post
    Its not like people are comparing Lebron, Durant, Harden to previous players. Their play speaks for itself.

i also think you are giving our players too much credit.
    1)t-ross. i would be extremely happy if he ended up like glen rice.
    2)jv is a skys the limit player and i don't think its fair to label him.
    3)if acy becomes a serviceable role player then we made a good choice.
    4)demar is who he is already. hopefully he gets a couple percentages up but he isn't going to change into another player.
    5)fields is a player i would be happy with if he could hold matt barnes' jock.

also lebron gets unfairly compared to magic/michael and oscar almost all the time.
    For The Win

Post Thanks / Like

DeRozan is no prospect. Yeah he's only 24 but he's already played 4 years in the league. He's a veteran. Same with Fields.
    Follow me on Twitter - @RRyan22

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can be considered a veteran in your fourth year without ever having made the playoffs lol

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

lol how is Rudy gay worse than a poor mans Vince carter? These comparisons are wack
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote feet85 wrote: View Post
    1. Terrence Ross
    2. Jonas Valanciunas
    3. Quincy Acy
    4. Demar Derozan
    5. Landry Fields

I thought this was a 10forthewin post.

Apparently feet85 thinks the floor for most of these guys is borderline All-Stars.

Raptors Republic All-Star JawsGT's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Barnes is a great player, and I'd probably take him over Battier but certainly over Prince. I doubt Landry will ever come close to either of those guys.

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

haha if that's the worst case for all these guys the future is looking AWESOME!
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

#FREE

11. Like Blacklash2k4 liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Case Scenario/Worst Case Scenario
    Terrence Ross - Michael Redd to Marcus Thornton
    DeMar DeRozan - Andre Igoudala to Injured Vince Carter
    Landry Fields - Shane Battier to James Posey
    Quincy Acy - Amir Johnson to Pops Mensu Bensu - one season wonder
    Jonas Valanciunas - Pau Gasol with Marc Gasol rebounds to injured Z-Igauskas

Raptors Republic Veteran NoPropsneeded's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tenforthewin wrote: View Post
    Terrence Ross - Michael Redd to Marcus Thornton
    DeMar DeRozan - Andre Igoudala to Injured Vince Carter
    Landry Fields - Shane Battier to James Posey
    Quincy Acy - Amir Johnson to Pops Mensu Bensu - one season wonder
    Jonas Valanciunas - Pau Gasol with Marc Gasol rebounds to injured Z-Igauskas
    That is actually an interesting comparison
    "You never heard of DeMar just google him, the defense don't know what to do wit him"

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Terrence Ross - Latrell Sprewell to Cory Brewer
    DeMar DeRozan - Rip Hamilton with a driving game to Mark Jackson with zero court vision
    Landry Fields - Jerry Sloan to washed out because he can't shoot
    Quincy Acy - Tyler Hansbrough to washed out because he can't hang on to the ball
    Jonas Valanciunas - Tyson Chandler with a jump shot to Ian Mahinmi

Raptors Republic All-Star enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Best Case Scenario/Most Probable Scenario/Worst Case Scenario

-All comparisons are in their prime!

Terrence Ross - Michael Redd / JR Smith / Athletic Jason Kapono
    DeMar DeRozan - Andre Igoudala / Rip Hamilton / Caron Butler
    Landry Fields - Shane Battier / Robert Horry (Minus the clutch) / Bruce Bowen
    Quincy Acy - Amir Johnson / Chuck Hayes / Scrub
    Jonas Valanciunas - Jonas Valancuinas / Pau Gasol / Zydrunas Ilgauskas
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Best Case Scenario/Most Probable Scenario/Worst Case Scenario
    Terrence Ross - Michael Redd / JR Smith / Athletic Jason Kapono
    Terrence Ross needs to start hitting threes a little more consistently if his worst case scenario is the a three point challenge champ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Garbo wrote: View Post
    Terrence Ross needs to start hitting threes a little more consistently if his worst case scenario is the a three point challenge champ.
    T-Ross is a 3pt shooter, even J. Kapono goes for <.300 some seasons

Post Thanks / Like

In your original post you made a point of noting that you were referencing these players in their prime, so I wasn't referencing Kapono's down seasons. I know I'm nitpicking, but some of your worst case scenarios seem pretty great. Worst case Fields becomes Bruce Bowen in his prime? I'd say the worst case is he continues to be Landry Fields..
    I'd be thrilled to see some of these worst case teams come to fruition. If these are true, than we never should have fired BC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Garbo wrote: View Post
    In your original post you made a point of noting that you were referencing these players in their prime, so I wasn't referencing Kapono's down seasons. I know I'm nitpicking, but some of your worst case scenarios seem pretty great. Worst case Fields becomes Bruce Bowen in his prime? I'd say the worst case is he continues to be Landry Fields..
    I'd be thrilled to see some of these worst case teams come to fruition. If these are true, than we never should have fired BC.
    Id say Fields has had better seasons than Bruce Bowen in his prime already.
    Sure Ross may not fully replicate Kapono's >.500 3pt shooting, but all of Kaponos other numbers should be easy for Ross to overcome, while most likely becoming >.400 3pt shooting.
    Id say Demar becoming Caron Butler is similar to sticking to the same type of production right now,
    And I am a HUGE JV fan, so I his floor for me is All-star, his ceiling is Hall of Famer (I almost put Tim Duncan as his ceiling!)

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, well first of all, Acy and Fields are not exactly "prospects", in the sense that I think it's fairly obvious they have little, if any, room to grow as players. But going over guys starting with them....

-Fields
    Ceiling: He's a glue-guy SG/SF with a fairly good shot. To me, Matt Barnes reminds me most game-wise, but personalities are so different and that comes through in how they play. Another guy, older player, he reminds me of, especially if he fixes his shot and plays like his rookie year again, is Mario Elie....still differences there too (Elie's shorter, but a better handler/passer). Elie was also a high energy guy like Barnes. His personality actually reminds me of Bonner. Lighthearted, hardworking guys.
    Floor: I don't have a floor for Fields....he could wash out or be the 15th body as a good practice player.
    Most likely: Can't even guess until next season. I don't think there's a lot of middle ground between his floor and ceiling. If he fixes his shot he's part of any 8-10 man rotation. If he doesn't, he's a practice body and fringe rotation player at best.

-Acy is a bigger wildcard. He has some verry slight potential to become a different player if he can show ability to guard some SFs in the league.
    Ceiling: Then I could see a Mbah A Moute type ceiling. Otherwise, as a PF, he's something like Maxiell, or Evans with a jumper but shorter. He's a good locker room guy though, at least it seems that way.
    Floor: He seems like a capable 3rd stringer already, and again, a good guy to have in the locker room, so that could take him far. Look how long Scalabrine played just for being a good teammate who can hit an open shot. He could easily wash out, but could have a long career as a bencher.
    Most likely: 3rd stringer who can step up to primary back up...a consistent version of himself basically at the end of this season.

-Ross
    Ceiling: I like the Redd comparison. I also thought maybe a Mitch Richmond isn't a bad ceiling....but both those guys aren't athletic enough...so it'd be like the skills of one of them with elite (like approaching Vince-like) athleticism.
    Floor: Gerald Green. If he can't find his way.
    Most likely:JR Smith with a better attitude. Inconsistent but dangerous.

-DeMar
    Ceiling:
    Poor man's Brandon Roy without the injury issues. Roy THRIVED in the mid-range game because of his ability to drive or shoot coming off a screen with/without the ball, and ability to post-up smaller guards. Scoring-wise, DeMar should be able to mirror this quite well. Roy also had good, but not elite, athleticism, much like DeMar. He was also nothign special as a defender, or even rebounder. DeMar's work ethic is without question, and if he can still improve his ballhandling/passing a bit more, I see him very much as a poor man's Roy. The big hole is leadership. DeMar has not shown this. Roy was a quality leader. Roy shot fairly well, but also did most of his damage inside the 3 pt line.
    Floor:....well, he's already a decent NBA SG. I think his floor is that he reverts back to his first year with Casey. I don't know what kind of player that is. Rodney Stuckey, I think.
    Most likely: Something like Caron Butler if he can't improve his handles/passing, but can improve his 3pt shot a bit, which I think he will.

Jonas Valanciunas
    Ceiling:
    ....I like what @enlightenment said....JONAS VALANCIUNAS. He has the talent to be special and that means eventually he'll stop being compared to players for his game. Who do I see his game resembling the most? As the season went on, I thought of him more as having a mix of Alonzo Mourning and Tim Duncan. He finishes well, but he doesn't really strike me as the finesse type player both Gasols are as scorers. He has power in his game in most of his moves. And his ability to finish in a variety of ways is more a reflection of great fundamentals than finesse. His ceiling is a 20+ and 10+ guy who is a team leader, and can protect the paint.
    Floor: Hmm....Somewhere between Gortat and Bogut
    Most likely: I see him being a better player than Gortat, or Bogut, or Big Z. If he can't hit his ceiling, he'll still be a likely all-star and something like a 15 and 10 guy. By today's standards, that's a top 5 C. I don't know what you'd wanna call that....more mobile M. Gasol? Chandler with a jumper? A rich man's Bogut?
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Jun 1st, 2013 at 01:45 PM.

21. Like Garbo liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    Id say Fields has had better seasons than Bruce Bowen in his prime already.

23. Like Garbo liked this post

Thread Information