Prospects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garbo wrote: View Post
    Terrence Ross needs to start hitting threes a little more consistently if his worst case scenario is the a three point challenge champ.
    T-Ross is a 3pt shooter, even J. Kapono goes for <.300 some seasons
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

In your original post you made a point of noting that you were referencing these players in their prime, so I wasn't referencing Kapono's down seasons. I know I'm nitpicking, but some of your worst case scenarios seem pretty great. Worst case Fields becomes Bruce Bowen in his prime? I'd say the worst case is he continues to be Landry Fields..
      I'd be thrilled to see some of these worst case teams come to fruition. If these are true, than we never should have fired BC.

Comment

Garbo wrote: View Post
        In your original post you made a point of noting that you were referencing these players in their prime, so I wasn't referencing Kapono's down seasons. I know I'm nitpicking, but some of your worst case scenarios seem pretty great. Worst case Fields becomes Bruce Bowen in his prime? I'd say the worst case is he continues to be Landry Fields..
        I'd be thrilled to see some of these worst case teams come to fruition. If these are true, than we never should have fired BC.
        Id say Fields has had better seasons than Bruce Bowen in his prime already.
        Sure Ross may not fully replicate Kapono's >.500 3pt shooting, but all of Kaponos other numbers should be easy for Ross to overcome, while most likely becoming >.400 3pt shooting.
        Id say Demar becoming Caron Butler is similar to sticking to the same type of production right now,
        And I am a HUGE JV fan, so I his floor for me is All-star, his ceiling is Hall of Famer (I almost put Tim Duncan as his ceiling!)

Comment

Ok, well first of all, Acy and Fields are not exactly "prospects", in the sense that I think it's fairly obvious they have little, if any, room to grow as players. But going over guys starting with them....

-Fields
          Ceiling: He's a glue-guy SG/SF with a fairly good shot. To me, Matt Barnes reminds me most game-wise, but personalities are so different and that comes through in how they play. Another guy, older player, he reminds me of, especially if he fixes his shot and plays like his rookie year again, is Mario Elie....still differences there too (Elie's shorter, but a better handler/passer). Elie was also a high energy guy like Barnes. His personality actually reminds me of Bonner. Lighthearted, hardworking guys.
          Floor: I don't have a floor for Fields....he could wash out or be the 15th body as a good practice player.
          Most likely: Can't even guess until next season. I don't think there's a lot of middle ground between his floor and ceiling. If he fixes his shot he's part of any 8-10 man rotation. If he doesn't, he's a practice body and fringe rotation player at best.

-Acy is a bigger wildcard. He has some verry slight potential to become a different player if he can show ability to guard some SFs in the league.
          Ceiling: Then I could see a Mbah A Moute type ceiling. Otherwise, as a PF, he's something like Maxiell, or Evans with a jumper but shorter. He's a good locker room guy though, at least it seems that way.
          Floor: He seems like a capable 3rd stringer already, and again, a good guy to have in the locker room, so that could take him far. Look how long Scalabrine played just for being a good teammate who can hit an open shot. He could easily wash out, but could have a long career as a bencher.
          Most likely: 3rd stringer who can step up to primary back up...a consistent version of himself basically at the end of this season.

-Ross
          Ceiling: I like the Redd comparison. I also thought maybe a Mitch Richmond isn't a bad ceiling....but both those guys aren't athletic enough...so it'd be like the skills of one of them with elite (like approaching Vince-like) athleticism.
          Floor: Gerald Green. If he can't find his way.
          Most likely:JR Smith with a better attitude. Inconsistent but dangerous.

-DeMar
          Ceiling:
          Poor man's Brandon Roy without the injury issues. Roy THRIVED in the mid-range game because of his ability to drive or shoot coming off a screen with/without the ball, and ability to post-up smaller guards. Scoring-wise, DeMar should be able to mirror this quite well. Roy also had good, but not elite, athleticism, much like DeMar. He was also nothign special as a defender, or even rebounder. DeMar's work ethic is without question, and if he can still improve his ballhandling/passing a bit more, I see him very much as a poor man's Roy. The big hole is leadership. DeMar has not shown this. Roy was a quality leader. Roy shot fairly well, but also did most of his damage inside the 3 pt line.
          Floor:....well, he's already a decent NBA SG. I think his floor is that he reverts back to his first year with Casey. I don't know what kind of player that is. Rodney Stuckey, I think.
          Most likely: Something like Caron Butler if he can't improve his handles/passing, but can improve his 3pt shot a bit, which I think he will.

Jonas Valanciunas
          Ceiling:
          ....I like what @enlightenment said....JONAS VALANCIUNAS. He has the talent to be special and that means eventually he'll stop being compared to players for his game. Who do I see his game resembling the most? As the season went on, I thought of him more as having a mix of Alonzo Mourning and Tim Duncan. He finishes well, but he doesn't really strike me as the finesse type player both Gasols are as scorers. He has power in his game in most of his moves. And his ability to finish in a variety of ways is more a reflection of great fundamentals than finesse. His ceiling is a 20+ and 10+ guy who is a team leader, and can protect the paint.
          Floor: Hmm....Somewhere between Gortat and Bogut
          Most likely: I see him being a better player than Gortat, or Bogut, or Big Z. If he can't hit his ceiling, he'll still be a likely all-star and something like a 15 and 10 guy. By today's standards, that's a top 5 C. I don't know what you'd wanna call that....more mobile M. Gasol? Chandler with a jumper? A rich man's Bogut?
          Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Jun 1, 2013, 01:45 PM.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
            Id say Fields has had better seasons than Bruce Bowen in his prime already.

Comment

Its going to be fun watching Big V get better and better. Teams will have no answer for him

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
                Landry Fields Rookie Season: 49.7% FG - 39.3% 3pt - 77% ft
                6.4 rbg - 1.9 apg - 9.7 ppg - 1.0 steals

IN 31 MPG

Bruce Bowens BEST Season: 42% FG - 40.3% 3pt - 63.4% ft
                3.5 rbg - 1.5 apg - 8.2 ppg - 0.7 spg

IN 32 MPG

So yes, Landry has had better seasons than Bruce in his prime already. I dont think its debatable, I stand by my point.

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                  Landry Fields Rookie Season: 49.7% FG - 39.3% 3pt - 77% ft
                  6.4 rbg - 1.9 apg - 9.7 ppg - 1.0 steals

IN 31 MPG

Bruce Bowens BEST Season: 42% FG - 40.3% 3pt - 63.4% ft
                  3.5 rbg - 1.5 apg - 8.2 ppg - 0.7 spg

IN 32 MPG

So yes, Landry has had better seasons than Bruce in his prime already. I dont think its debatable, I stand by my point.
                  That's just by the scoreboard. I don't think Bowen was mainly valued because of his statistic production.

Comment

Working...
                  X