Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bring In Jason Kidd As A Consultant

Raptors Republic All-Star Employee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Letter N wrote: View Post
    You can attack his character off the court but on the court Kidd has always been highly respected and loved by his teammates and if you want to throw every person who's driven drunk under a bus then you'd have a pretty big pile under that bus.
    I think he's one of the best PG's ever. He's definitely well respected around the league. But the dude assaulted his ex and she implied it wasn't really the first time. Yeah ok it was over ten years ago. But still...shit rubs me wrong.
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    What I wrote is right there in black and white. If you decide to only pick and choose what to read, and then proceed to tell me what I am saying, not much I can do about that.

Post Thanks / Like

Forthe guys who are mentioning his off-court life. He would be advising them on how to play basketball. Not how to treat their wife or how to drive or whatever other completely unrelated to basketball shit you guys can churn out...
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

Irrelevant, but funny:

5. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

can we hire Kwame Brown too? so he can tell Bargnani about how its ok to be a BUST and dont worry just keep robbing cities and organizations of their money. We have to wait for Kwame to retire before we do that though.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd certainly be down to bring him in and let him work with our guys. Especially Ross. It's just up to his discretion as to whether he wants to do it or not. I'd think "retiring" for him means relaxing a little bit and settling down, and not hurriedly scrambling to find another job.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Never completely bought in to the consultant role, unless it's for an extremely specialized area. If the Raptors got in Hakeem to teach their big men some post moves created by the master himself, I can see the value. For a PG...maybe...but Kidd is an exception because he had a physical advantage over many other point guards which he took full advantage of, and that's a big part of what made him great. If the Raptors got in John Stockton, a guy who was almost always at a physical disadvantage and hence forced into making highly intelligent plays and reading the game, I would see it as more value.

This is not a knock on Kidd at all, the guy is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, no doubt, I just don't know if he can come in and in a 3-day camp teach someone like Lowry anything that'll stick. I could be completely wrong, I don't know.

Raptors Republic Rookie JStockton's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Arsenalist wrote: View Post
    Never completely bought in to the consultant role, unless it's for an extremely specialized area. If the Raptors got in Hakeem to teach their big men some post moves created by the master himself, I can see the value. For a PG...maybe...but Kidd is an exception because he had a physical advantage over many other point guards which he took full advantage of, and that's a big part of what made him great. If the Raptors got in John Stockton, a guy who was almost always at a physical disadvantage and hence forced into making highly intelligent plays and reading the game, I would see it as more value.

This is not a knock on Kidd at all, the guy is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, no doubt, I just don't know if he can come in and in a 3-day camp teach someone like Lowry anything that'll stick. I could be completely wrong, I don't know.
    I'll even teach them how to wear shorts properly.

10. Like Arsenalist, footarez liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Nothing but Nets

For all those doubting Jason Kidd's ability to coach players, Brooklyn strongly disagrees:

"Jason Kidd Named Head Coach of Nets - Click Here"

Raptors Republic All-Star Letter N's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Based on Brooklyn's track record it seems like the doubters are winning the argument

I kid, I kid
    I'm still a bit surprised he jumped right into coaching and that he got a HC job right away

Post Thanks / Like

They seem to be doing a lot more right than the doubters' team?

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah i'm shocked Kidd didn't take a year or two off or something. Maybe it's the Brooklyn job itself that he really wanted and had to jump on it.

Kinda weird, but i think he'll have success. He's a really sharp guy, high basketball IQ with an attention to detail. If Mark Jackson can be successful i don't see why Kidd can't.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

And if the players(D-Will) pulls something the fans have his back.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That signing is ridiculous. The guy has never even sat on a bench as an assistant before and now he's the head coach of a team? If that doesn't scream desperation on part of Brooklyn management then I don't know what does. If I were the players on that team I would be seriously questioning whether managment is committed to winning or making money.

17. Like Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    That signing is ridiculous. The guy has never even sat on a bench as an assistant before and now he's the head coach of a team? If that doesn't scream desperation on part of Brooklyn management then I don't know what does. If I were the players on that team I would be seriously questioning whether managment is committed to winning or making money.
    Jason Kidd has been leading a team and quarterbacking an offense for 19 years in the NBA. He knows the game. If the Nets were desperate they would be offering Phil $10M/yr. or asking the Celtics permission to talk to Doc. This doesn't sound like desperation at all to me. It sounds like a calculated risk.

Lenny was coaching before he even retired. Paul Silas and Don Nelson started as soon as they retired. Things worked out fine for them. They're all regarded overall as good coaches.

Kidd needs to surround himself with an experienced staff. Coaching isn't about doing it all yourself. He needs to inspire the troops first and foremost. Play calling is second, after they buy in. He can get top notch help with the playbook if need be but something tells me he knows enough to instill his own system.

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I really dont have an opinion on Kidd other than say that playing the game even as well as he did does not always translate to a good coach. AS we all recognize there is more to coaching than just xs & os....dealing with media, your gm, personalities on the team, your coaching staff, medical personnel and possibly all on the same day. I think the concern is that Kidd while being exposed to all of it hasnt been in-charge of these responsibilities. It is a risk.

Re Phil J and Rivers....I believe Jackson turned it down and the Celtics did not give permission. I do believe the Nets were looking for a splash.

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Sig wrote: View Post
    Irrelevant, but funny:

Oh man that is funny. Like teaching a pet monkey to sword fight and then always leaving a sword lying around somewhere.

Careful when you open that doooor.

21. Like Sig liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Axel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I love that he gets announced at the Coach in Brooklyn the same week he's due in court in New York for a DUI (DWI for the Yank's).

Dude definitely knows the craft, but he also had a rep for being a coach killer. Does he have the maturity to be the unquestioned leader of men? The wife beating was a while ago, so you could say that he learned from that but the DUI is current. I don't know if I'd want him running my $70+ Million (per year) investment.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Jason Kidd has been leading a team and quarterbacking an offense for 19 years in the NBA. He knows the game. If the Nets were desperate they would be offering Phil $10M/yr. or asking the Celtics permission to talk to Doc. This doesn't sound like desperation at all to me. It sounds like a calculated risk.

Lenny was coaching before he even retired. Paul Silas and Don Nelson started as soon as they retired. Things worked out fine for them. They're all regarded overall as good coaches.

Kidd needs to surround himself with an experienced staff. Coaching isn't about doing it all yourself. He needs to inspire the troops first and foremost. Play calling is second, after they buy in. He can get top notch help with the playbook if need be but something tells me he knows enough to instill his own system.
    I have know doubt Jason Kidd knows basketball, but coaching is a different beast. You have to be able to handle players, their playing time, draw up plays on the fly, identify match ups...there are just so many things which he needs experience in before he sits in the big chair. Especially considering Brooklyn is built to get deep into the playoffs. It's not a team you bring in a rookie coach with no experience on the side lines.

Just my opinion for what it's worth. But to tell you the truth I'm surprised nobody else seems to think that this is a horrible move for Brooklyn.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information