Bring In Jason Kidd As A Consultant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letter N wrote: View Post
    You can attack his character off the court but on the court Kidd has always been highly respected and loved by his teammates and if you want to throw every person who's driven drunk under a bus then you'd have a pretty big pile under that bus.
    It still might be a smaller pile than the people injured or killed by drunk drivers.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
      So are summer personal conditioning trainers coaches/executives? I think there is a clear distinction here between consultant/contractor(external) and coach/executive(internal). Kidd wouldn't be a "Raptor", he would essentially be "Jason Kidd Inc.", coming in for a few days to provide training. There is a big difference here.

And you pretty much did say it was a bad idea, didn't you? Most of what I read was criticism on why it wouldn't work.

And there are lots of big strong NBA ballers who become big, strong spectators/NBA fans. You're selling Kidd short. He was highly intelligent and has a lot to share if he so chooses to do that with some of his free time..
      Their title is irrelevant, its the function I was speaking of - teaching, helping, working with etc.

I don't know how I'm 'selling Kidd short' seeing how I did nothing but compliment him.

You like the idea, great. I'm not sold on it (which does not mean I think its 'bad') and how effective it is.

Anyways, done speaking about it. Just my two cents.

Comment

No, you basically said he is who he mostly due to God given talent; he can't teach it. Well, I'm telling you there are lots of great athletes that fail to succeed in the NBA and many who can't even make it to the NBA.

Comment

No, you basically said he is who he mostly due to God given talent; he can't teach it. Well, I'm telling you there are lots of great athletes that fail to succeed in the NBA and many who can't even make it to the NBA.

Not saying they can't do it
          That said, I also don't doubt his bball IQ and experience and thats probably a great asset.

Comment

Let's dance:

Craiger wrote: View Post
            I've never been overly convinced that hiring former greats to be coaches/execs etc. is the way to go.
            Craiger wrote: View Post
            It seems rather rare when a great player can teach their great talent to someone else. If this team had someone who actually played a game like Jason Kidd it might make sense (and a reasonable argument could be made for Lowry - but I think there games are quite different, just their stats are similar). It was like when Orlando was using Patrick Ewing to train Dwight Howard... never made alot of sense to me. Two players with totally different games, one trying to teach the other something they have never showed a knack for.

Comment

Letter N wrote: View Post
              You can attack his character off the court but on the court Kidd has always been highly respected and loved by his teammates and if you want to throw every person who's driven drunk under a bus then you'd have a pretty big pile under that bus.
              I think he's one of the best PG's ever. He's definitely well respected around the league. But the dude assaulted his ex and she implied it wasn't really the first time. Yeah ok it was over ten years ago. But still...shit rubs me wrong.
              Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

What I wrote is right there in black and white. If you decide to only pick and choose what to read, and then proceed to tell me what I am saying, not much I can do about that.

Comment

Forthe guys who are mentioning his off-court life. He would be advising them on how to play basketball. Not how to treat their wife or how to drive or whatever other completely unrelated to basketball shit you guys can churn out...
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Irrelevant, but funny:

Comment

can we hire Kwame Brown too? so he can tell Bargnani about how its ok to be a BUST and dont worry just keep robbing cities and organizations of their money. We have to wait for Kwame to retire before we do that though.

Comment

I'd certainly be down to bring him in and let him work with our guys. Especially Ross. It's just up to his discretion as to whether he wants to do it or not. I'd think "retiring" for him means relaxing a little bit and settling down, and not hurriedly scrambling to find another job.
                        Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Never completely bought in to the consultant role, unless it's for an extremely specialized area. If the Raptors got in Hakeem to teach their big men some post moves created by the master himself, I can see the value. For a PG...maybe...but Kidd is an exception because he had a physical advantage over many other point guards which he took full advantage of, and that's a big part of what made him great. If the Raptors got in John Stockton, a guy who was almost always at a physical disadvantage and hence forced into making highly intelligent plays and reading the game, I would see it as more value.

This is not a knock on Kidd at all, the guy is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, no doubt, I just don't know if he can come in and in a 3-day camp teach someone like Lowry anything that'll stick. I could be completely wrong, I don't know.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                            Never completely bought in to the consultant role, unless it's for an extremely specialized area. If the Raptors got in Hakeem to teach their big men some post moves created by the master himself, I can see the value. For a PG...maybe...but Kidd is an exception because he had a physical advantage over many other point guards which he took full advantage of, and that's a big part of what made him great. If the Raptors got in John Stockton, a guy who was almost always at a physical disadvantage and hence forced into making highly intelligent plays and reading the game, I would see it as more value.

This is not a knock on Kidd at all, the guy is a first-ballot Hall of Famer, no doubt, I just don't know if he can come in and in a 3-day camp teach someone like Lowry anything that'll stick. I could be completely wrong, I don't know.
                            I'll even teach them how to wear shorts properly.

Comment

Nothing but Nets

For all those doubting Jason Kidd's ability to coach players, Brooklyn strongly disagrees:

"Jason Kidd Named Head Coach of Nets - Click Here"

Comment

Based on Brooklyn's track record it seems like the doubters are winning the argument

I kid, I kid
                                I'm still a bit surprised he jumped right into coaching and that he got a HC job right away

Comment

Working...
                                X