Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavs' 1st & Varejao for Rudy Gay?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=qhs7jgf

Check this out, would you do it? Sorry for no tweets, or sources, but I've been reading a lot of speculation that Cleveland is interested in trading the 1st pick, & also like Rudy Gay.

So...

Toronto Receives: Anderson Varejao, Alonzo Gee, 2013 1st Overall Pick
    Cleveland Receives: Rudy Gay, 2nd Round Pick (whatever year(s) those are)

Lineup:

Lowry/Possible Pick/Lucas
    DeRozan/Ross/Possible Pick
    Gee/Possible Pick/Fields
    Varejao/Johnson/Acy
    Valanciunas/Gray

I personally would somewhat consider it, because Gay's contract is gone, Gee - young prospect, solid player - can fit into a young core to try and develop, along with Varejao who could be a very good fit alongside of Valanciunas, and the 1st pick in the draft, whether it be a shooting guard - Muhammad, McLemore, Oladipo - small forward - Otto Porter - maybe even Trey Burke? Noel?

What do you guys think?
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

From there, depending on who you are, for example, I would draft Burke, that gives you more talent and or leverage to go out and make a deal, such as dealing an expiring contract, good aged starting calibre point guard in Lowry, DeRozan - shooting guard with potential, and ability to live up to worth of deal - along with Bargnani, etc. allowing more possibilities for Ujiri to possibly clean house and or try to stay competitive.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I don't think they will do that. I don't think they would want to handle Gay and his contract just as we don't want it. Anyways, if Gilbert is thinking of the future and is really that fucking lucky at the draft lotto, if I were him, I would draft Noel and tank for one last year and get a top 5 pick in a stacked 2014 draft. They could draft Wiggins (if they get the first pick AGAIN which would prove that the lotto is rigged), Parker, or Randle. That's a stacked team of talent and possibilities. By not getting Gay, they can use their cap space to sign some solid backup veterans that can provide some leadership and mentor the young rookies.
      Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Tue Jun 4, 2013, 03:03 AM.

Comment

Ya i''d do that. I'd take Mclemore with the 1st overall pick. I don't think Cleveland would do it though.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

I think Cleveland would do it.

They would have a starting line up of:

Kyrie Irving (21)
          Dion Waiters (21)
          Rudy Gay (27)
          Tristan Thompson (22)
          Tyler Zeller (23)

They desperately need a veteran presence, not a rookie. They need an established go to scorer with good defense to balance out their roster.
          Cleveland has a bright future, and I doubt Otto Porter at SF, or another Big man to develop is on their list of necessities.
          Varajao was hurt almost all season, and is already 30, this is the best value they can get for him.

My question is, would the Raptors do it?
          I dont see anyone in the Draft that would make this trade worth it for us. The best player is a C, my favorite players are SGs, and Trey Burke would come off the bench.
          Not worth losing star power for such a weak draft.
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Nice trade, I would really love it.

Comment

I don't think this deal makes any sense for either team.

For Toronto...That's a pretty risky move, which is fine, but also probably the wrong year to try it in. First pick in possibly the shittiest draft of all time? I'm not convinced any player will be as good as Rudy Gay. Heck, I'm not convinced any player will be as good as Kyle Lowry or DeMar. It's not worth giving up the asset(s) for the #1 pick if the #10 or #30 pick can be just as good. This is why I think if the Raps want to get into the draft, the 10-30 range is just fine. Now, I think some of the guys in the top 10 (namely Burke and Oladipo) have a chance at being good NBAers, but I also don't see a player with a ceiling that makes me go "wow I want that guy" where I'd trade the guy who's currently the best player on my team.

For Cleveland...Maybe they're ok with only getting Rudy Gay for the #1 pick, since it is a weak draft, but there's no way they are also moving other valuable pieces for him. The #1 pick, Varejao and Gee(well, who cares about Gee) is a fairly strong offer even in a shit year, and could bring back a better player than Gay, or at least it should be able to. If they could get him straight up for the pick, maybe that'd make sense for them, but not with more good pieces attached.

Also, just breifly, Gee is a pretty useless player. He is not a "prospect". He's 26 years old. I don't think his game is going to do any more growing. Just an average role player at best. A hustle wing who doesn't really excel at any skills.

Again, if I were managing the team, I'd be trying to find a sneaky deal to get a mid-late first round pick. Use it on a high-potential guy you can stash for a year or two if you want (not necessarily Antetokounmpo), or a guy who looks ready to step into an NBA role, even just a complimentary one.

Comment

Working...
              X