Official masai ujiri press conference thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canmanxl wrote: View Post
    Masi talked about growing young players. So that just goes back to the organic growth BC mentioned all this time. I agree nothing (information wise, direction) came from this interview.

I am curious to see what we hear from this organization in the coming weeks. Seems like the same sales pitch just being delivered by different players now.
    Pretty hard for a guy who has only had a job for four days to lay out his strategy for improvement, including analysis of specific players, who he would trade and what he would get back for them, especially after letting half of the staff go (which kind of indicates he was focused on the management team, not the roster). He is absolutely correct in his expression of intent, which is specifically to go get the staff he wants, then pick their brains and creatively do a thorough analysis of the roster, and realistically decide what to do with them.

Just goofy to ask specific roster questions of him and expect any kind of serious answer.

As for "what's you philosophy for the team?" Same thing. He as much as said, I like to grow from within, see good talented young guys get better, and the team philosophy will depend on who we have and what they can do.

Comment

Canmanxl wrote: View Post
      Masi talked about growing young players. So that just goes back to the organic growth BC mentioned all this time. I agree nothing (information wise, direction) came from this interview.

I am curious to see what we hear from this organization in the coming weeks. Seems like the same sales pitch just being delivered by different players now.
      Ujiri is notorious for being a close to the vest guy. Even if he has already made up his mind on what direction he wants to move - which after less than a week, no one should be expecting - I don't think he's the type to broadcast it at his intro press conference.

I also think he's a pretty shrewd guy and probably realizes that a strategy of letting his moves do the talking is a smart one following BC.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
        Ujiri is notorious for being a close to the vest guy. Even if he has already made up his mind on what direction he wants to move - which after less than a week, no one should be expecting - I don't think he's the type to broadcast it at his intro press conference.

I also think he's a pretty shrewd guy and probably realizes that a strategy of letting his moves do the talking is a smart one following BC.
        So was/is Colangelo..
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

I think we should get a "Everything Leiweke + Ujiri" thread

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
            So was/is Colangelo..
            No he's not. Colangelo's intentions are rarely, if ever, a mystery. At best, you don't know the specifics of exactly which player he's chasing, especially in free agency/trades, but you always know the type of player he's targeting or type of move he plans to make. And the draft is a non-starter. Colangelo is a very predictable drafter, and when he actually falls in love with a guy, you know he's drafting that guy weeks away.

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
              I think we should get a "Everything Leiweke + Ujiri" thread
              Everything Front Office maybe??

Comment

Some more Ujiri insight from the Devlin interview. Makes it seem like a semi rebuild could be in the works. Also has a nice dig at BC.

"For me it's not the playoffs, it's not to get in. For me it's easy to figure out a playoff team if that's your goal, but the ultimate goal is to build a championship. You want to be able to compete for the Larry O'brien trophy. I feel sometimes it might take time, you know, like we might take some punches in the nose, and that's what we'll do. When we set up our plan, and gather all our information, we'll figure out the best way to get there, and we'll attack it. It's the only prize in basketball that should be a focus for us as a team."'

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                  ...the ultimate goal is to build a championship. You want to be able to compete for the Larry O'brien trophy..."'
                  And how much easier is it to say this when you have a 5 year contract and an owner that has basically said, "Money is no object. We want good content for our media outlets."

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                    And how much easier is it to say this when you have a 5 year contract and an owner that has basically said, "Money is no object. We want good content for our media outlets."
                    The part you're missing is this, "For me it's easy to figure out a playoff team if that's your goal." BC hasn't even been able to do that in 5 years, let alone build a championship contender.

Comment

• All sorts of subtle shots at Colangelo, lol

Comment

• Sounds like Ujiri is going to rip this place down to the studs. I love it. I was SO down on this offseason and team in general but now I can't wait to see what he does.

I have no problem watching a crappy rebuilding team if I know they've got a legitimate plan and are moving forward, rather than swapping pieces in and out in a attempt to make the playoffs.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• I want to see a bunch of rookies play next season beside Rudy leading them and JV still emerging as a legit future C.

Ujiri was on sportsnet and hes seriously talking about getting some draft picks. BCs legacy he can be proud of is picking up JV as the real deal he can be proud of that.

Comment

• Colangelo got lucky that year because no one expected JV to drop to #5(himself included). The Raptors were fortunate that JV had contract issues.

It made no sense for the Cavs to pass on JV. It's not like they were going for the playoffs anytime soon.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              All sorts of subtle shots at Colangelo, lol
                              The more I hear him I am getting convinced he does not like BC. And Casey better start pounding the rock double time.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                                Ujiri was on sportsnet and hes seriously talking about getting some draft picks.
                                Oof, really?
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X