No announcement yet.

Tim Leiweke on FAN 590 - sportsnet -

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masai Ujiri will be on Sportsnet Radio at 6:00pm tonight!
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

hopefully he says something different... i doubt it.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
        Wolstat's saying Ujiri isn't interested in amnestying anyone, whether it be Bargnani or Kleiza. Hmmmm.
        Then he is looking to keep all his trade pieces for the deadline, if true.

The only thing amnestying Kleiza does now is save them the luxury tax - unless they make other trades with less money coming back.

I can see Bell/Rogers paying the luxury tax for a winner. Find it hard to believe they will do it with the mish mash currently on the roster.

Comment

Wolstat's saying Ujiri isn't interested in amnestying anyone, whether it be Bargnani or Kleiza. Hmmmm.
          To Amnesty Bargnani he would need to go tell the board he requires $23M to pay Andrea to go away. Tough sell perhaps(even if there are better options)?

For Kleiza its less of a sell but still, $3 or 4M is nothing to balk at, especially if they're not in tax trouble.

Comment

As much as we've all been assuming Kleiza is destined to be amnestied, I actually see good potential value in expiring contracts this season, especially as trade assets for teams willing to add salary.

Not only does Kleiza give Ujiri another trade asset this offseason (possibly with Bargnani), but 2014 is shaping up to have a strong draft and free agent market, with many teams already looking to shed salary ahead of next offseason. I could see many more teams deciding to take that approach if/when their 2013-2014 season doesn't live up to lofty expectations.

With so many teams likely looking to shed salary and add draft picks at the trade deadline, it could be a fantastic opportunity for 'vulture teams' to swoop in and acquire players at below market value. Keeping Kleiza on the roster gives Uriji another trade asset, which could be used on its own to return up to $5.85M in salary.

I really like the idea of Ujiri maximizing the number of assets at his disposal. Worst-case scenario is $4.6M coming off the Raptors books after the season, allowing them to potentially be players in the 2014 free agent market.

Comment

I have yet to hear Leiweke muff a reply. He is fast on his feet or very sure of his position on the issues being discussed. He is definitely a dealmaker and can charm those he is wooing...no wonder these guys hired him. He pretty much killed Sid in his tracks when he told him (when Sid mentioned the futility of the Raptors past and why he should be excited by the Ujiri hire) ....because he wasnt here before and his own record of hires included a gm with a Stanley Cup in LA and a trophy with the manager of the Galaxy. So,....gotta admire his chutzpah.

Here is a piece on him.....

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/J...hises/AEG.aspx

Comment

I like that Ujiri is playing it close to the vest. There is absolutely no need to tip his hand at the moment. Keep potential trading partners guessing about what Toronto is up to.

I suspect that Ujiri already has a pretty good idea of what he wants to do with this team. He may be testing the waters to confirm his views and get more data but, despite what little he and TL said today, I am pretty sure they already know what direction they are going.

Comment

This could be a way to let other GM's know that if they want someone like Bargnani (or Kleiza) they would have to pony up an asset. If another GM knew that the Raptors were willing to amnesty Bargnani.. then couldn't they just wait until they did and pick him up off the waivers instead for cheap?

It's good GM'ing to let others know that the Raptors will not be using the amnesty. It doesn't mean that they actually won't.

Comment

"I'm hoping it follows my pattern and not yours."
                    If you are going to bring up Raptor history, make sure you bring up mine..... loved it.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought Leiweke said that the plan (regarding 3 options: blow up, acquire star, build on the fly) would be clear to all in the next few weeks.

I am excited.

I love Leiweke. I know the talking points are no different than when Colangelo came along but with Leiweke I don't get the "salesman trying to con me" vibe. He is very direct and confident. Hopefully results follow.

Comment

Talk Is Cheap

Matt, I don't think anyone was claiming Colangelo was giving a "salesman" vibe when he entered the scene. They both get paid bonus based on organizational performance so and they're both in the entertainment business and so they're both salesmen. Leiweke is a better salesman than Colangleo if anything because you don't get that far without being very talented at selling something, whether it be a product or ideas... And based on what I'm reading in here, everyone is opening their wallets wide open to buy into what he's selling.

I'm going to take the wait and see approach. I've seen all the bright lights enough to know talk is cheap.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                          Matt, I don't think anyone was claiming Colangelo was giving a "salesman" vibe when he entered the scene. They both get paid bonus based on organizational performance so and they're both in the entertainment business and so they're both salesmen. Leiweke is a better salesman than Colangleo if anything because you don't get that far without being very talented at selling something, whether it be a product or ideas... And based on what I'm reading in here, everyone is opening their wallets wide open to buy into what he's selling.

I'm going to take the wait and see approach. I've seen all the bright lights enough to know talk is cheap.
                          Over the years Colangelo has turned in to a sales pitch - a tired one that is never stuck with and rarely shows results. In the last few years it has always been, "Next year...." or "We have to overpay free agents...." or "*insert excuse here*...." I think the salesman schtick from Colangelo has gotten thicker because the continued results were getting worse. Just making the playoffs is out. Colangelo had lowered the bar so low it is very easy to listen these press conferences and interviews.

There is real change going on here over the last year and we are seeing a trickle down effect: ownership ---> CEO ---> President/GM ---> new front office ---> ?? what is next ??

This is not your OTPP MLSE. I am inclined to agree that talk is cheap but given who ownership is and the importance of content for them, you are right, I am buying what they are selling. I don't think there is anything they won't do to win. The question is: are the right people in place to achieve this?

I've lost all hope on the franchise over the last year I am super excited to have optimism again. I mean really, they are due, aren't they?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

I've lost all hope on the franchise over the last year I am super excited to have optimism again. I mean really, they are due, aren't they?
                            Agreed. It starts at the top, and if they are going to run the organization the 'right way', than there should be reason for optimism

Comment

I am excited about the changes at the top, and I'm hopeful that it will result in the raps getting to the conference finals. However, I recognize that it is HOPE, and I'm not going to invest TOO MUCH emotionally until I start seeing PLAYOFF WINS.

I've had my heart broken before and I'm in no hurry to do it again.
                              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

“Tim was a visionary,” said Tim Harris, senior vice president for the Los Angeles Lakers, of which AEG is a co-owner. “The words partner and partnerships are thrown around so easily these days, but Tim walked the walk.”

The words vision and passion were used repeatedly to describe AEG’s former leader.

“Tim is a very passionate guy, and it took passion to build what I believe is the premier sports and entertainment company in the world,” said Richard Schaefer, CEO of AEG-owned Golden Boy Promotions. “He will have many opportunities. I can’t wait to see what else Tim Leiweke has in store for us.”
                                Quote from the article posted above.
                                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                                X