Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Ujiri is trying to get in the draft, who you want?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Francis posted his list of "sleepers" the raps should go after

1. Reggie Bullock - 6-7 SF, UNC: We'll start with Bullock, although by no means is he necessarily our top rated player on this list. But he does stand out for one sole reason: his ability to knock down three-point shots. Bullock shot 43 per cent from downtown last year for North Carolina, and his 1.29 points per-shot on catch and shoot jumpers ranked first in Draft Express' look at this year's Small Forward class. Also from this DX analysis, he ranked ahead of the pack in overall scoring efficiency with his 1.11 PPP overall and scored a top five ranked 1.37 points per-possession in transition, a testament to his athletic ability, shooting and ball-handling skills in the open court.

He's also got the size and athleticism to man the 2 or 3 spots and via ESPN.com's recent WARP Draft-article, he ranked as the 19th best prospect in the draft.

2. Seth Curry - 6-2, SG, DUKE: Again, the theme if you're drafting Curry is shooting. Much like Bullock, Curry is a lights-out shooter hitting on 44 per cent of his three-point shots last year at Duke, hitting nearly 50 per cent of his shots overall, and from Draft Express statistical look at this year's Shooting Guards, Curry ranked first in efficiency at 1.142 points per possession.

However unlike Bullock, Curry's size at only 6-2 could potentially be an issue as he's not exactly an option at the 1, unlike his older brother. He averaged only 1.9 assists per game per 40 minutes, and sported a negative pure-point rating (an attempt to measure the efficiency of point guards.)

Curry's not on most mock drafts at present so this may be a case where Masai Ujiri reaches out to Curry's agent as soon as possible to try and grab him for Summer League and potentially take the "undrafted free-agent" route in terms of signing him. His size could be an issue but it's a good bet that someone with his shooting ability, efficiency (he sported one of the lowest turnover rates in the NCAA considering his usage) and lineage will find a spot in the L.

3. DJ Stephens - 6-5, F, Memphis: Stephens might be one of the most intriguing players to me in this draft. DX currently has him slated to go undrafted so like Curry, Toronto could look to bring him in post-draft to see if he would be a fit for the team.

And there are a myriad of reasons as to why he could indeed be. For starters, he's one of those under-sized but athletic marvels who we've seen surprise in the NBA. He's not Kenneth Faried per se, but he certainly opened a few eyes at this year's combine based on his athletic testing, specifically, his combine-record 46 inch vertical-leap.

But is this another case of Joey Graham?

Right now it's hard to say but he's been stellar at various workouts so far in the draft process, showcasing lock-down defensive abilities at multiple positions, and a motor that doesn't quit, both attributes the Raps could use heavy doses of. His ridiculous wingspan, speed and athleticism is a boost to both points and while he's got a ways to go on offense, he's one of the best finishers on the break in this draft, and ranked at or near the top in blocks, rebounds and steals in Draft Express' look at this year's Small Forward draft options.

4. Trevor Mbakwe - 6-8, F, Minnesota: Mbakwe is on this list despite his age (24), rumoured off-court baggage, and history of knee issues as he's got enough upside as a monster in the paint in the NBA. He led or was at the top the Draft Express Power Forward study in categories like offensive rebounding, overall rebounding and shot-blocking, and like Stephens has stood out in various workouts thanks to his energy and explosiveness.

He's a bit undersized but if the doctors give his knees the green light, and he's shown to have matured over the past season, he could be a more offensively skilled version of Joey Dorsey at the next level, someone the Raptors, could use in spurts off the bench at the 4.

5. Ryan Kelly - 6-11, F, DUKE

6. Erik Murphy - 6-10, F, Florida

A couple more options at the 4 come up next but not in the form of defensive players. Ryan Kelly and Erik Murphy both possess skill-sets that could see them be "stretch-four" types at the next level.

Kelly was unfortunately injured for the bulk of his senior season at Duke but nevertheless showed a continued ability to spread the floor, hitting 42 per cent of his three-point attempts, not bad for a near 7-footer.

Murphy was a slight tick better in this area hitting 45 per cent, and was second to only Kelly Olynyk in True Shooting percentage in Draft Express' look at this year's power fowards.

Neither are tremdendous athletes or shot creators, but both could be Matt Bonner types at the next level, smart shot-makers found on the benches of winning teams. Kelly in particular shows some advanced attributes as in the previous Draft Express study, he was the only point guard with a positive pure-point rating, a testament to his ability to pass the ball and limit turnovers, again, a need for the Raps.

7. Pierre Jackson - 5-10, PG, BAYLOR: Obviously the size is an issue but as we've seen of late in the NBA, "going small" can be used to a team's advantage in certain situations and Jackson, despite his diminutive size, figures to find a role in the league somewhere. He's blistering fast, an incredible athlete and has pretty solid advanced stats. In the ESPN WARP study, Jackson found himself in the "second-round steal" category thanks to elite steal rate (often a great NBA indicator) and ability to knock down the outside shot and score efficiently.

He's more of a scorer than passer as a 1, but wasn't awful in the shot-creating area either, posting solid numbers in Draft Express' look at the point guard class.

8. Erick Green - 6-3, G, Virginia Tech: Green is another interesting option as a point guard draftee. Much like Jackson, he's certainly more of a scoring guard than a pass-first option, but he's such a good scorer, that it might be worth taking a flyer on him. In the previous Draft Express study mentioned, Green True Shooting percentage of 60% last year despite very high usage marks at V Tech, and being the team's lone offensive option.

This translated to a stellar PER of 31.7 and potentially a look in the second-round from NBA teams.

9. Mike Muscala - 6-11, C, Bucknell: Muscala's combination of size and touch are interesting to me in this draft. In a league that values big men who can play the "pick-and-pop" game, Muscala could be a Rasho Nesterovic type option down the road.

He's got good size, can play with his back to the basket, and excelled at drawing fouls at a high rate and getting to the line. He also averaged 3.1 assists per 40 minutes, tops in Draft Express look at the Center crop in this draft, and potentially then a nice fit in Toronto to help activate what was at times a fairly motionless offence last season.

All of this of course was against Patriot League competition so there will be questions about his ability to do the same at the next level.

But if he hasn't heard his name called as the second-round starts to slip away, this is a player I'd take a hard look at.

10. Archie Goodwin - 6-5, G, Kentucky: Finally, we go all upside. There wasn't a single study I could find that looked at Goodwin as an enticing prospect but sometimes, you swing for the fences on the youngest players with the most room to grow.

Goodwin, a top high school star who played only one season at Kentucky, fits that bill.

He can't shoot the 3, doesn't have amazing size for his position, hasn't shown much defensive ability, and actually posted a negative WARP score in the ESPN.com draft study we've been referencing.

But you know who else posted similar awful advanced metrics at one point?

Louis Williams. And Monta Ellis. And Eric Bledsoe.

Sometimes poor marks are simply are indication of lack of playing time or experience, not ability and so if you're going to swing and miss on a second-round pick, you might as well do it on a one-time blue-chipper like Goodwin.
    a couple interesting prospects i hadn't heard of, like the guy from memphis or baylor. i'd be pretty jazzed if we somehow got Bullock. I think Goodwin will be a decent player in the league, too. Just needs a LOT of work.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Man you know who i actually really like? Sergey Karasev.

First of all his name is Sergey and i LOVE saying that name. Makes me feel dangerous. Second, he's Russian and i can't think of a single russian player in the league that i'd mess with. "But ceez that's a pretty broad statement!" you're probably thinking to which i say, but it's true. Seriously. Look it up.

Thirdly,

I find a lot of his defensive issues aren't because of his athleticism like it says, but bad angles he seems to take and giving up too much space. All very much coachable. Nevermind he has the length to really bother shooters.

All in all, he's got a great feel for the game and has the IQ, size and experience to play right away. I don't know where he gets drafted tomorrow but if he somehow slips a bit i'd jump on him.
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

Who are we kidding i only have eyes for KCP
    @jerboat

Post Thanks / Like

@jerboat

5. Like ReubenJRD, isaacthompson liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post

First of all his name is Sergey and i LOVE saying that name. Makes me feel dangerous. Second, he's Russian and i can't think of a single russian player in the league that i'd mess with. "But ceez that's a pretty broad statement!" you're probably thinking to which i say, but it's true. Seriously. Look it up.

Thirdly,

I find a lot of his defensive issues aren't because of his athleticism like it says, but bad angles he seems to take and giving up too much space. All very much coachable. Nevermind he has the length to really bother shooters.

All in all, he's got a great feel for the game and has the IQ, size and experience to play right away. I don't know where he gets drafted tomorrow but if he somehow slips a bit i'd jump on him.
    Yeah, I also thought the D issues were overstated. He has good size, a good motor and an extremely high bball IQ. I really think he's one of the safer picks in the draft, and also has upside to be one of the better players in the draft. Some team is going to grab him in the teens....I'd be pretty happy if it was the Raptors.

Also, he's played against men since 2010, so his defensive failings would be more exposed given his level of competition both in terms of physicality and skill. Compare that to the "freak" Antetokounmpo, who gets lauded for his athleticism and defensive upside, but has never played against high-calibre competition. Sergey's not a horrible athlete, more like an average one, and just still too skinny for his size, but it doesn't take elite athleticism to be a good, or even great, defensive player. D is so much about smarts and motor, and he's got those.

I think my ideal haul, assuming they get 2 picks, one mid-late first and one second...is Karasev and Kabongo. I am intrigued by Antetokounmpo, but he's definitely a project who may not ever be NBA ready. I would take him in a heartbeat if Karasev was off the board, but I'm not sure I would take him ahead of Sergey. I really really like Karasev. And as polished as Karasev is, he's the same age as many freshman, and only one year older than Giannis. He's way ahead of most guys at his age, including most of the top prospects in this draft.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like glen rice jr. And kabongo in 2nd rd

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Glen-Rice-19807/

Check 1min mark.

Stats as starter.

Ridiculous is only word for finals albeit 2 games.

For those who think just dleague, it is better comp than NCAA with nba rules and three pt line.

Also same number of games played as starter (31) than most prospective picks play in season.
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Wed Jun 26th, 2013 at 05:48 PM.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

8. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bullock and Kabongo with Seth Curry as our guy just slotted into the D-League. Tomorrow is draft night right? LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS! #TRADEBARGNANI !

10. Like ReubenJRD liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Balls of Steel's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

We shall see tomorrow just how much of a mess Colangelo has left this franchise in.
    ďThe saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.Ē - Martin Luther King

12. Like mcHAPPY liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like a Toni Kucoc clone to me. Sign him up!

Raptors Republic Veteran Bendit's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
    We shall see tomorrow just how much of a mess Colangelo has left this franchise in.
    Dont you smell it already? The man after all felt we were just a piece away!! I shall bow to Masai if he does anything meaningful tomorrow.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

a couple interesting prospects i hadn't heard of, like the guy from memphis or baylor. i'd be pretty jazzed if we somehow got Bullock. I think Goodwin will be a decent player in the league, too. Just needs a LOT of work.
    I'm a big fan of bullock and itd be awesome if we got him. I also wouldnt mind trading into the late first round to get Kabongo or Glen Rice jr. There are A few others that could really go anywhere from 10-30 I would want like Shabazz or Plumlee. It may not be a talented draft but it seems deep through the first round and early second round with role players atleast.
    Teams that won't beat me this year in RR Dynasty League
    McHappy , jbml
    Joey's Monstars, Team Ballswin
    Skywalkers , Keeping it Real !!
    Ceezus , Mack North
    Fully , WJF
    Drizz , DanH's Team
    Koncept , The Coach
    Axel

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No one interested in Rudy Gobert? 7-2 ft tall with a 7-9 ft wingspan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    No one interested in Rudy Gobert? 7-2 ft tall with a 7-9 ft wingspan
    Nope....His only NBA skill is size. I'll pass. Looks like a big time bust.

The weaknesses breakdown from nbadraft.net

Weaknesses: He needs to bulk up his upper body, in order to be able to withstand the extra physicality at the NBA level ... Lacks great leaping ability, though his length helps … His shooting range is limited to the painted area, and needs to be expanded … Mostly faces the basket and needs to work on his back to basket moves ... He lacks a jump shot from the midrange and also is predictable and mechanical in his moves, lacking fluidity, even though he’s pretty reliable from the free throw line ... His offensive movements are rather raw, he needs to add confidence to his game, sometimes he seems too stiff and mechanical ... He’s able to take post position effectively but he still lacks a safe and reliable go to post move ... He’s a reliable rebounder but with his physical tools he could be even better ... He has a mild demeanor, sometimes he appears to play with a reduced gear, lacking much competitive fire ... At times, his lack of a great feel for the game becomes apparent as he fails to recognize plays before they develop or doesn't finish off plays with enough aggression ...
    Basically, if this is close to right, he's got physical tools and is a completely raw basketball player with a low skill level, poor motor, and bad instincts.

18. Like Axel, omgsomuchpotential liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bennett is sliding at draftexpress. #8 now
    Bruno Caboclo

Raptors Republic Starter omgsomuchpotential's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Nope....His only NBA skill is size. I'll pass. Looks like a big time bust.

The weaknesses breakdown from nbadraft.net

Basically, if this is close to right, he's got physical tools and is a completely raw basketball player with a low skill level, poor motor, and bad instincts.
    Yeah thanks for that. Just found Jonas v Gobert stat sheet from a U18 championship a few years ago:

Gobert 11min 6pts 0reb 1ast 1stl 1to
    Jonas 27min 34pts 13reb 4blk 3to

Raptors Republic Rookie swingman's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote omgsomuchpotential wrote: View Post
    Yeah thanks for that. Just found Jonas v Gobert stat sheet from a U18 championship a few years ago:

Gobert 11min 6pts 0reb 1ast 1stl 1to
    Jonas 27min 34pts 13reb 4blk 3to

22. Like omgsomuchpotential liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Bennett is sliding at draftexpress. #8 now
    I'm pretty convinced this is just random misinformation being thrown around to try and muck up the draft.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty convinced this is just random misinformation being thrown around to try and muck up the draft.
    Most likely.

Kabongo is at 58.

Selfish on my part but I'd be happy if he went undrafted and toronto picked him up.
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Most likely.

Kabongo is at 58.

Selfish on my part but I'd be happy if he went undrafted and toronto picked him up.
    That would be fantastic.

I still can't really figure out why this guy has almost fallen out of the draft. Lack of a jumper? Off court issues? A poor combine showing (which is hilarious since despite that, if you watch him play he's very obviously an excellent athlete)?

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be fantastic.

I still can't really figure out why this guy has almost fallen out of the draft. Lack of a jumper? Off court issues? A poor combine showing (which is hilarious since despite that, if you watch him play he's very obviously an excellent athlete)?
    Marc Spears of Yahoo sent this out last night:

"@SpearsNBAYahoo: One NBA exec said Texas G Myck Kabongo was possible late 1st after impressive interview and said he's was bigger than expected & a leader."

What a crazy day when Kabongo is being talked about as a first round pick, or possibly going undrafted.

I am so excited for today! Happy Draft Day everyone! Here's to hoping the Raptors don't look the same at the end of the day!

27. Like Axel, mcHAPPY, white men can't jump liked this post
Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread Information