Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ujiri is trying to get in the draft, who you want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    I'm not sold on Bennett. Thomas Robinson in my opinion is a better player but he's practically free for the taking from Houston. Robinson has a better wingspan, is taller, and has a higher motor (although I've seen far more footage of T-Rob then AB so that's a subjective comment). And T-Rob is not someone I would want since we already have Acy on the bench who is similar in stature (short, athletic, with a high motor).

I personally think that Bennett is going to struggle in the NBA. He's got more weight but I think his height and wingspan are going to really hurt him.
    I agree that Bennett's height is a detriment for an NBA pf but his wingspan is decent at 7'1" for somebody 6'7" tall.

Comment

• Hardly a secret as Wolstat points out:

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Hardly a secret as Wolstat points out:

Comment

• Holly MacK is such a babe! unrelated just saying I love that little shorty.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

Hardly a secret as Wolstat points out:

Interesting. Would love to see them draft a PG or a 3pt shooter.
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Have the Raptors worked out anybody?

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                Have the Raptors worked out anybody?
                Doubtful. Raps still don't know what pick they'll get, if they even get.
                Last edited by rocwell; Sat Jun 22, 2013, 07:25 PM.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                  Have the Raptors worked out anybody?
                  I don't think so.

Players/agents typically won't 'waste' the time to work out for a team without a pick.

A notable exception this year was Schroeder with the Rockets. Rockets don't have a 1st round pick.

Comment

• but who are we going to give up for a pick?

Comment

• GUYS. And girls if there are any.

Dennis Schroeder, or Myck Kabongo?

Who would you rather have as our backup PG?

And is there a way we can get the Mavs' 13th?

If not what picks are we able to get in this draft? (1st and 2nd)

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                        GUYS. And girls if there are any.

Straight up, I'd rather have Schroeder. However, I don't think there's a massive difference in upside between the two. Given that you probably need a lottery pick to grab Schroeder and only a late first to grab Kabongo, Kabongo is probably the better value pick.

Comment

• myck

i think myck will be the second best pg from this class after burke

and again

zeller, burke, kabongo is my order

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                            GUYS. And girls if there are any.

Myck Kabongo (or his brother Christian) can both be gotten much more cheaply than Schroeder can. Myck should go somewhere in the 30-40 range - which means a high second pick. Those can be gotten relatively cheaply. Schroeder will go top-15 if not higher and you're going to have to give up more for that. For example:

Right now the rumour is that Dallas is talking to Cleveland about sending them the 13th and Shawn Marion for Cleveland's 19th. This way Dallas clears off Marion's hefty salary in order to chase Dwight Howard, and the only cost to them is a minor downgrade to their pick.

If we want Dallas' pick, then we probably have to do slightly better than that, and I don't think we can. The Rudy trade killed our money flexibility that lets us satisfy Dallas' needs.

Don't think about picks per se. Think about what we want to get with the picks, what we want to give up for the picks, and how we want to use those picks.

So, to answer those questions in order:

1. Unlike many teams, we already have our center for the foreseeable future in Jonas, and if we can't get Bennett then we aren't going to use the pick on a low-end power forward because Amir is a decent starting PF and it's a pretty deep position around the league so it can be had more easily than most. What we want is either a starting point guard (if we trade Lowry) or a backup (if we keep him), a starting shooting guard (if we trade DeMar) or a backup (if we keep him), and maybe a starting small forward (if we trade Rudy). So the major candidates, reading through this thread, are (in rough draft order) Otto Porter, Victor Oladipo, Anthony Bennett, Trey Burke, Michael Carter-Williams, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, CJ McCollum, Dennis Schroeder, Giannis Adetokunbo and the Kabongos. I'd add Ricky Ledo and Nate Wolters to that list (both before the Kabongos but after everyone else).

2. There are two theories towards trading away players right now: get rid of only the trash (Bargnani, Kleiza, maybe Fields), or do a more full-scale rebuild (which would involve trading one or more of Rudy, Lowry, DeMar or Ross as well as aiming to extract value from Bargnani/Kleiza/Fields). (We also still control the draft rights to Tomislav Zubcic, don't forget, and he's starting to look like a viable PF project.)

If we can get a pick straight-up for Bargnani without taking garbage back (which is possible, but unlikely), it'll be a second-rounder to a team that's willing to gamble on him. Ditto Fields. Kleiza's expiring contract means we take on some garbage and maybe get a low pick in exchange. Lowry went for a first-rounder last time; he probably still can go for such this time, but not a high-end pick. DeMar has a lot of value around the league and as such would probably be an asset+pick in trade. Rudy has the most value, but his salary means we pretty much have to accept that we take back at least some trash (and hopefully a decent player) along with the picks he would bring us.

And, of course, there is always the option of simply buying a low-end pick outright with cash or with Zubcic's draft rights. Second-rounders this year are not valued terribly highly.

3. Looking at what we want and what we can do: we can probably get Myck Kabongo via a simple cash-for-second-rounder trade; if we traded away Bargnani and took back nothing to get Kabongo, I would consider that a major coup. We can also likely get a Kabongo-enabling pick in any trade involving one of our Big Four tradeable assets (Rudy/Lowry/DeMar/Ross) as a little side benefit. So I think we should strongly look towards getting Kabongo: he has a lot of upside as a pass-first floor general, and his upside is all the more impressive when you compare it to how little we would have to give up to get that pick. The fact that he is Canadian is important too: we should want good, young Canadian players playing for the Raptors.

Given all of the arguments for Kabongo, I tend to be very less interested in the higher-up PG prospects in this draft. Burke and MCW are both going to be moderately expensive and you come up against the question of how much you want to expend for someone who may well not be any improvement over Kabongo - or Kyle Lowry, for that matter.

Anthony Bennett, Victor Oladipo, Otto Porter and Trey Burke: are probably not gettable unless you're willing to trade Rudy (who I think is the only asset we have who can get us a top-four pick right now; none of the top-four teams are going to be interested in our other assets unless we take some of their trash). I'd be willing to do a Bennett-for-Rudy trade to Cleveland or Washington, but I don't think Orlando or Charlotte go for it: Orlando has Tobias Harris and Charlotte has MKG, and neither is in win-now mode. Cleveland and Washington, though - they both want to make the playoffs and neither one of them has a top-quality small forward. That might be doable. But in order for them to take on Rudy's salary, we'd have to take back some trash salary from either team: Cleveland probably sends us a mix of Alonzo Gee, Marrese Speights and Tyler Zeller, Washington sends us Trevor Ariza and Jan Vesely or maybe Nene. That's painful (especially Nene), and I don't think Cleveland or Washington particularly WANT to give up their picks - especially Washington, who can just get Otto Porter themselves anyway, since Porter already has a lot of Rudy's game for 1/8th the price once you pay him.

KCP and Schroeder: They're players whose picks are gettable but I'm not sure what we offer Portland/Detroit/Minnesota/Philly/OKC/Dallas. Portland might want some reasonably priced bench players - Ross? Acy? - but I don't think they'll give up the chance to draft another talented young role player. Detroit is rebuilding and won't want to ship picks, especially when they might not get a 2014 pick (Charlotte has it top-8 protected). Minnesota is interested in DeMar but they're also the most likely to draft KCP, who obliviates their need for DeMar. OKC doesn't want any of our assets. Dallas: see above. And Philly can't trade their pick this year because their 2014 pick is traded on a protected basis.

Adetokoubo, Ledo and Wolters: Now we're in the 20s. There are options here: Cleveland's #19, Utah's #21, Brooklyn's #22, New York's #24. Cleveland and Utah would probably trade their second picks in this draft relatively cheaply. New York and Brooklyn both have lots of players they would like to unload for Lowry and/or Kleiza's expiring contracts: are we willing to take on Marcus Camby or Steve Novak for a few years? Maybe we trade both Lowry and Kleiza to Brooklyn for Gerald Wallace? That's probably what it takes here, because New York and Brooklyn are so overloaded with salaries that rookie exemptions are one of the few ways they can add to their rosters at all.

So, to sum up: Myck Kabongo and Giannis Adetokoubo are the most obtainable players for us in this draft. We can get them relatively cheaply. If we're willing to expend more serious assets, we might as well go big and aim for Anthony Bennett.

Comment

• We could send Lowry for the Utah's 14th
                              Lucas for the Mav's 13th

then let Schroeder / Larkin / MCW (2 of the 3 drafted back to back) battle for the starting spot

Comment

• connected wrote: View Post
                                We could send Lowry for the Utah's 14th
                                Lucas for the Mav's 13th

then let Schroeder / Larkin / MCW (2 of the 3 drafted back to back) battle for the starting spot
                                These kids have potential but right Kyle Lowry is better than all of them. That's also fun if you think Casey would start a rookie point guard.
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X