Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ujiri is trying to get in the draft, who you want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ujiri is trying to get in the draft, who you want?

Information relevant to this thread at 2:50:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0">

Paraphrasing Ujiri:

No matter which direction the franchise goes developing youth is going to be a part of the plan. We are going to try and get in the draft.

Who would you target and feel is obtainable?

Burke (unlikely hes going to go top 3 for sure)

Schroeder
    Kabongo

basically a PG.

Comment

Guys I'd love the raps to target/draft:
      Mclemore
      Mitchell
      Kabobgo
      Schroeder
      Burks
      That guy from north carolina
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I recall there being a question during MU's press conference about Canadian content on the Raptors and he said something along the lines of being in favor of it. I wonder if it might be a lot easier to target a guy like Kabongo with a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. He'd be a great young Canadian PG to spend a season or two as the 3rd string PG, if a veteran PG is brought in to improve the 2nd unit.

Comment

I would throw MCW on that list. If they keep Lowry having a longer guard like MCW or Kabongo to create a different look off the bench could help.

IF they want to move one of the starting wings a project like Bullock, or the kid from SDSU would be on my list.

Bigs I like CJ Leslie who is a tweener stretch 4 and the traditional Center Dieng.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I recall there being a question during MU's press conference about Canadian content on the Raptors and he said something along the lines of being in favor of it. I wonder if it might be a lot easier to target a guy like Kabongo with a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. He'd be a great young Canadian PG to spend a season or two as the 3rd string PG, if a veteran PG is brought in to improve the 2nd unit.
            Well the CIS kid (Ward?) that's a no brainer. Toronto should always be the first team to scout CIS talent. In the next few years Every team will have a Canadian kid from NCAA, so that'll be a tough one, but the CIS is quickly getting better and they have a lot less rules than NCAA. Kabongo would be a good look. He's a lot more talented than most believe.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              Well the CIS kid (Ward?) that's a no brainer. Toronto should always be the first team to scout CIS talent. In the next few years Every team will have a Canadian kid from NCAA, so that'll be a tough one, but the CIS is quickly getting better and they have a lot less rules than NCAA. Kabongo would be a good look. He's a lot more talented than most believe.
              And very likely a lot more attainable, given the limited assets that MU has to work with.

Comment

Schroeder seems like a makeable pick (mid first round is his expected position). But his stock seems to be rising. He also plays a position of need for the Raps at pg and has been compared favorably to Rondo on defense and seems to be better offensively than when Rajon was drafted.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  Information relevant to this thread at 2:50:

27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0">

Paraphrasing Ujiri:

No matter which direction the franchise goes developing youth is going to be a part of the plan. We are going to try and get in the draft.

Who would you target and feel is obtainable?
                  I think the most likely area for the Raps to pick in is late 1st-early 2nd rd....20s or 30s. I don't know if they can get into the teens, but if they did, I don't think they need a lottery pick.

I would like to see them target two such picks. Ideally, you con a team into throwing one into a Bargnani trade. This is fairly easy to get if another team is sending an equally bad contract back. Much harder to get for an expiring deal.

-I would target GSW*(Edit...they have no pick, was already traded previously, dang), BKL, OKC. OKC I normally would never expect to get a pick from, but they have 2 1st rders, but more intriguing is their later one is very close to their second rounder...29 and 32. I feel like one of those should be available. All these teams because they're playoff teams. They all have a chance to be part of a Bargs trade as well.

-I would also target MIN, CLE and POR. All have multiple picks. I think Minny won't keep both their 1st rounders. I see the 26th pick as available with them for the Raptors...Not sure the 9th would be worth the asset(s) it would take. CLE has the 19th, 31st, and 33rd picks. Gotta think one of those could be available. Same with Portland. They've got 3 picks in the 2nd...39, 40 and 45. None of these are ideal, but all are great if they also get an earlier one, and still nice as consolation prizes.

As for specific players I'd target, that's tougher. In this "weak" a draft.

I think ideally, if I could get two picks, I'd try to get one of Karasev/Saric/Antetokounmpo, and a PG. If I got a high enough pick (10-15), I'd probably target a PG there, and try to get a later pick in the 20s or 30s and hope one of the other 3 guys ends up there on draft night.

If I got two and they were both in the 20s or 30s, I'd again try to get one of the 3 wings above, and then target a PG with the later pick. Given how much he's fallen, Kabongo could actually be a realistic target maybe in the late 30s or even the 40s. I actually like his game too, and think with some proper shooting tutelage, it should really translate well to the NBA, but we'll see...Especially with his size, potential, and pure PG skills, I'd have a hard time taking Canaan, Jackson or Larkin over him. Size matters, especially defensively.
                  Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Jun 7, 2013, 10:50 AM.

Comment

rather than just listing off names, i want to see the teams and who toronto would trade to them for their pick.

its a hard sell for toronto; remember, 23 million contract for bargs, 37 million for rudy, 12.5 million for fields, 13.5 for amir, 40 million for derozan. what lottery team would take on these contracts?

and what about low pick teams? will they take any players from our bench?

i still think this draft is not worth it in the least.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                      I think the most likely area for the Raps to pick in is late 1st-early 2nd rd....20s or 30s. I don't know if they can get into the teens, but if they did, I don't think they need a lottery pick.

I would like to see them target two suck picks. Ideally, you con a team into throwing one into a Bargnani trade. This is fairly easy to get if another team is sending an equally bad contract back. Much harder to get for an expiring deal.

-I would target GSW, BKL, OKC. OKC I normally would never expect to get a pick from, but they have 2 1st rders, but more intriguing is their later one is very close to their second rounder...29 and 32. I feel like one of those should be available. All these teams because they're playoff teams. They all have a chance to be part of a Bargs trade as well.

-I would also target MIN, CLE and POR. All have multiple picks. I think Minny won't keep both their 1st rounders. I see the 26th pick as available with them for the Raptors...Not sure the 9th would be worth the asset(s) it would take. CLE has the 19th, 31st, and 33rd picks. Gotta think one of those could be available. Same with Portland. They've got 3 picks in the 2nd...39, 40 and 45. None of these are ideal, but all are great if they also get an earlier one, and still nice as consolation prizes.

As for specific players I'd target, that's tougher. In this "weak" a draft.

I think ideally, if I could get two picks, I'd try to get one of Karasev/Saric/Antetokounmpo, and a PG. If I got a high enough pick (10-15), I'd probably target a PG there, and try to get a later pick in the 20s or 30s and hope one of the other 3 guys ends up there on draft night.

If I got two and they were both in the 20s or 30s, I'd again try to get one of the 3 wings above, and then target a PG with the later pick. Given how much he's fallen, Kabongo could actually be a realistic target maybe in the late 30s or even the 40s. I actually like his game too, and think with some proper shooting tutelage, it should really translate well to the NBA, but we'll see...Especially with his size, potential, and pure PG skills, I'd have a hard time taking Canaan, Jackson or Larkin over him. Size matters, especially defensively.
                      Nice post.

Bargnani to Minnesota for Ridnour & #26 would be a nice deal, though I can't see Minny having much use for Bargnani, unless as a backup for Love if they intend to trade Williams. Could recruit a 3rd team to help facilitate such a deal too.

Comment

Trey Burke is number 1 on my list.

This team needs a point guard, I like Kabongo a lot, Michael Carter-Williams is a good guy, definitely interested in Schroeder.

Depending on what players are traded (DeRozan, Ross, Fields, Bargnani, Lowry - quite frankly, I do not want Gay traded unless a wing/player received brings some of the same intangibles), I would like a big (maybe not IN the draft - bigs I'm interested in are Bennett, Mitchell, Olynyk), or a wing like McLemore, Oladipo, Porter, Muhammad.
                        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

ReubenJRD wrote: View Post
                          Trey Burke is number 1 on my list.

This team needs a point guard, I like Kabongo a lot, Michael Carter-Williams is a good guy, definitely interested in Schroeder.

Depending on what players are traded (DeRozan, Ross, Fields, Bargnani, Lowry - quite frankly, I do not want Gay traded unless a wing/player received brings some of the same intangibles), I would like a big (maybe not IN the draft - bigs I'm interested in are Bennett, Mitchell, Olynyk), or a wing like McLemore, Oladipo, Porter, Muhammad.
                          I'd definitely go for Carter-Williams. Great length, and his shooting's improved. If he develops a post game he could be lethal.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Fliers
                            • Myck Kabongo
                            • Tim Hardaway Jr.

Taking fliers at the end of the 1st round should be cheap.

Shabazz Muhammad may be worth a shot in the 20's also. I'm not too high on him being a long term piece but I feel his stock is undervalued in comparison to his talent. Should he come in and play really well for a season or two (and causes no problems) people will have forgotten the flags and he will be an asset that maybe doubles in value to right now. Buy low, sell high people.

Getting a high choice may be tough...

Comment

mid first: Schroeder
                              20-25: Adetokunbo
                              2nd round: Kabongo, Glenn Rice (assuming you believe the positive reports he has straightened out)

Comment

Working...
                              X