Possible Target for backup PG: Buycks & Stone signed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

octothorp wrote: View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind a veteran who's nearing the end of his career,...
    Like Nash?

Comment

9 million a year back and a helping hand to the lakers, sign me up. As a horrible franchise, which mr simmons is kind enough to remind us, we owe it to the league to make the lakers as competitive as possible as soon as possible.

Article is and must be a joke. We tried to get Nash, we offered him more money then anyone and he turned us down, but now that the lakers want and need money because thier great "but we're the lakers" plan didnt work out, we are supposed to remember how awesome and great he would be for the franchise.

The 5th one of those great memories is we sent WAYNE GRETZKY to get the deal done and nash said no. If as a canadian you can say no to anything that man asks of you the the raptors dont want you anymore either.

Comment

I'm taking Simmons column with a coal shovel full of salt, but on the face of it, not much downside to his suggestions. Nash only has two years on his contract so it expires at the right time. Nash would be an excellent backup PG, let's face it, despite his poor defence. A steady veteran with excellent work habits. A two time MVP who would be a great example to the young guys. "I'm old enough to be your father and I'm still in the league. Don't tell me you're tired."

Exchange Camby and Gray for Nash. If possible, why wouldn't you. Gray is useful, but Camby's got nothing left.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
          As for all of y'all that hates him and his signing, I personally really, really like the fact that he's coming to Toronto. I think it's a great move. Our frontcourt is very strong, as our wings. Now let's see the situation with Camby, maybe if Billups comes both will want to play there. That would be a hell of a roster.

Valanciunas/Camby/Gray
          Johnson/Hansbrough/Acy
          Gay/Novak
          DeRozan/Ross
          Lowry/Billups/Stone
          I think Gray would be ahead of Camby in the depth chart.. Gray has some useful skills. Camby is useless at this point. We have a chance at Billups IMO. Usually I would say a veteran like him would be looking for a championship at the end of his career, but he's already experienced that already.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I think the 2 2nds we just recieved and Camby would work. I think Denver wouldnt mind Camby for nothing when theyre already losing Brewer, and the 2nds to Minny would be enough for Ridnour

Comment

My phone won't let me quote but that last message was reply to Matt52

Comment

alex_elstone wrote: View Post
                I think the 2 2nds we just recieved and Camby would work. I think Denver wouldnt mind Camby for nothing when theyre already losing Brewer, and the 2nds to Minny would be enough for Ridnour
                According to ESPN, Ridnour to Milwaukee is pretty much a done deal.

Comment

I would not even include Camby as part of the depth chart.

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                    I think Gray would be ahead of Camby in the depth chart.. Gray has some useful skills. Camby is useless at this point. We have a chance at Billups IMO. Usually I would say a veteran like him would be looking for a championship at the end of his career, but he's already experienced that already.
                    If somehow Billups can come here, that would be awesome, and I remember someone posting that Billups had given Lowry advice this past season, about taking advantage of being the man with the keys to the car. Billups and Lowry would be solid, and I feel Stone sitting in that 3rd string, developmental role would be a step in the right direction.
                    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                      Yeah, I've been pushing Billups for a week or two now....And that last part is key.

All things being equal, of course he'd choose a contender....but are they equal? He already has a ring, and he wants to play. I'm sure for him, the last kind of offer he wants is one where he sits on the bench as a cheer leader, or basically an assistant coach, and never touches the court. If he wants to play, he'll look to play. And of course, then money becomes a factor, because it's also a likely sign that a team expects more than a benchwarming role if they're trying to outbid others.

And then not many teams can offer him more than the minimum, a legit role, and a legit shot at the playoffs. I mean, add Billups, and you gotta hope his presence helps the team on and off the court. I think it becomes a bit less likely the team underachieves.

Then throw in he at least has one pretty strong relationship on the team in Lowry, and there could be other appealing aspects. I also wonder if he has a decent relationship with Amir from their Detroit days. The biggest question mark here whether there's any hard feeling toward Ujiri, who traded him from Denver. This is the other negative (other than being a non-contender) that might go against Toronto, but I don't think Chauncey is so petty, and so if Ujiri reaches out to him to make him a solid offer, I'm sure he'll listen.

I'll keep hoping somehow that he winds up in Toronto. Also because the back up PG crop is pretty unspectacular.

*Oh, and also given his career, and his role on a team like Detroit, doesn't he seem like one of the best options for the gritty team Ujiri is trying to make?
                      Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Jul 11, 2013, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• The only way I see Billups coming here is if we throw an absurd amount of money his way. BC might have done it, but no Ujiri. New York is showing interest in Billups to fill in the role which Kidd left behind. If you were Chauncey and both teams were offering more or less the same money whom would you sign with?

Ujiri will not over pay anyone to play here this season.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                          The only way I see Billups coming here is if we throw an absurd amount of money his way. BC might have done it, but no Ujiri. New York is showing interest in Billups to fill in the role which Kidd left behind. If you were Chauncey and both teams were offering more or less the same money whom would you sign with?

Ujiri will not over pay anyone to play here this season.
                          Who says he has to throw a butt load of money at him? Chauncey made 3 million last year and has recently injured his achilles. He could easily command more than the minimum, but I said this when free agency started...if he was a hot target expecting an MLE type offer (give or take), he'd probably already be off the market.

And, again, role matters big time. Does he really have a role waiting for him in NY? They have Smith, Shumpert, Felton and Prigioni already signed in the backcourt. I doubt he wants to risk a situation where he doesn't play much at all. Again, he doesn't need to go ring-chasing as a cheerleader. He wants to play. PLAY. There is no role security in NY. And they can only offer the minimum. NY has also been linked to Telfair, Brooks...and someone else. They're hardly courting Billups alone, and they're not making him a very attractive offer.

And seriously, I don't know if there's a "pretender" more obvious than the Knicks. These guys ain't winning shit. If Billups wants to play for a winner, it's MIA, SAS, OKC, LAC, CHI, IND, MEM, GSW, HOU.....I think all those teams have a better shot at a ring than NY. NY could easily collapse at any moment, between age and clashing personalities. Many of those teams have 2 PGs set though. Not a lot of opportunities, and certainly not a lot of money.

Billups wants to play, and he doesn't want to play for a minimum. If the Raps can offer the bi-annual, or amnesty Kleiza and offer the leftovers of the MLE, it might be enough to at least get a discussion going on whether he wants to join the Raps, especially since they can offer him a legit role.

Comment

• FUCK Billups just signed with Detroit....

So clearly he went with sentiment, because he chose a team that can easily be worse than Toronto (though I'm not suggesting we were ever necessarily a real option), and he only took 2 years/5 million, which is exactly the kind of number I hoped to sign him at. FUCK!

Comment

• Billups seems to be signing with Detroit....2 years/5 million....

Fuck.

Comment

• I wonder if Mo Williams will reconsider being a backup...and taking shit money.

And I think now AJ Price moves near the top of my list, if not the top.

Comment

Working...
                                X