Possible Target for backup PG: Buycks & Stone signed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendit wrote: View Post
    Lets not please confuse JV? Development...do it right. He is one of the best assets to come our way. The next year will hopefully confirm that he needs to be built around.

RE Asik (which provides a Camby moment)...the Rockets say he isnt going anywhere. McHale wants him around and is talking about coming up with a "spacing" plan to play DH & Asik together. Whatever...we dont know if it'll work even if Asik agrees. Yes, and diva DH will have to agree too!
    I call BS on McHale.

He is doing damage control to be sure they get a good asset in return, imo.

Portland is where Asik should be going despite the trade for Lopez.... actually, there you go. Blazers should flip Lopez for Asik.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I call BS on McHale.

He is doing damage control to be sure they get a good asset in return, imo.

Portland is where Asik should be going despite the trade for Lopez.... actually, there you go. Blazers should flip Lopez for Asik.
      McHale would be well versed on damage control wouldnt he (ex gm)!? That makes sense re his swap with Portland and Lopez with Alridge in flux. I dont know the #s but Aldridge in Houston would be an ace move.

Comment

spacing with howard and asik?? huh???
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
          I guess one stays back on D?

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            Just reporting mate...not agreeing..

"McHale said he can see lineups when Asik and Howard would play together in addition to Asik, who along with Howard would create perhaps the best defensive and rebounding rotation in the league, backing Howard up. McHale called to mind the 1980s when the Rockets used lineups with Hakeem Olajuwon and Ralph Sampson. "You do play two bigs," McHale said. "You have to get spacing and you have to make sure your small guys have got to make sure they keep the court spaced." ESPN.com"

I'll just say I think McHale is a good coach but is he trying to polish up a tricky situation?

Comment

The league just isn't the same as the 80s and 90s. It's really hard to get away with 2 guys who are natural Cs, because PFs are generally much faster and have more range than back in the day. It's just hard to make the D work for long stretches..especially if neither can function as a PF offensively to create a big-time mismatch on one end.

The one bonus in the current era is zone D. If they can get away with a zone D for 5-10 minutes every game with Howard and Asik on the floor, that's a ton of length and shot-blocking. But again, that's pretty impossible to do for 48 minutes, and you can't ask either one to guard a PF for long stretches.

Comment

They'll surely have some trouble with an opposing team going small on them. But they are both good-great rim protectors and rebounders. Whether they have chemistry is another question however. Ill put money on him being traded though.

Comment

So Detroit just signed Will Bynum, so unless they're going to sign Billups as a starter, it seems unlikely he goes there to play.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                    I'll just say I think McHale is a good coach but is he trying to polish up a tricky situation?
                    McHale knows damn well he can't say "well, both Dwight and Asik want to start at center and neither is a power forward in the slightest and Omer isn't happy about this" because that would flatten Asik's trade value. It's important for Houston to pretend that they're perfectly fine keeping their roster as-is.

Comment

Backup PG

The last hole in our lineup is the backup PG.
                      Stone is a 3rd stringer.
                      Val/Gray/Camby
                      Amir/Hansbrough/Acy
                      Gay/Novak/Q-Rich/Klieza
                      DeRozan/Ross/Fields
                      Lowry/???/Stone

Our big man and wing rotations are solid. Camby wants out. What do we do? Try and trade Camby and some 2nd rounders from the Bargs trade for a backup PG? Our other options are signing a backup PG with our remaining 1.27 mil of the MLE, or signing a PG for the minimum, in which case we couldn't get anything better than Stone. As far as remaining FA PGs remaining, I see a few good fits: Billups(ideal), Roddy Beaubois, Beno Udrih, Bobby Brown.

As far as trading goes I see a few teams with PG logjams. Dallas. Not syre what theyre doing. They have two young PGs that should be developing this year in Larkin and Calathes(Still not been bought out even though he is flourishing overseas). We could work out a deal with the mavs for either one of those guys. Minnesota. They have 4 guys fighting for minutes. I think Ridnour would be easy to pry from Minny as he's been on the block for quite some time. Not to mention I think he'd be a great fit with us.

So what would you do if you were MU?

Comment

Give Stone some burn. We're not going to do much this year, anyhow
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

His name is Julyan Stone
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

There is a thread for that:

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...-for-backup-PG

Comment

alex_elstone wrote: View Post
                              The last hole in our lineup is the backup PG.
                              Stone is a 3rd stringer.
                              Val/Gray/Camby
                              Amir/Hansbrough/Acy
                              Gay/Novak/Q-Rich/Klieza
                              DeRozan/Ross/Fields
                              Lowry/???/Stone

Our big man and wing rotations are solid. Camby wants out. What do we do? Try and trade Camby and some 2nd rounders from the Bargs trade for a backup PG? Our other options are signing a backup PG with our remaining 1.27 mil of the MLE, or signing a PG for the minimum, in which case we couldn't get anything better than Stone. As far as remaining FA PGs remaining, I see a few good fits: Billups(ideal), Roddy Beaubois, Beno Udrih, Bobby Brown.

As far as trading goes I see a few teams with PG logjams. Dallas. Not syre what theyre doing. They have two young PGs that should be developing this year in Larkin and Calathes(Still not been bought out even though he is flourishing overseas). We could work out a deal with the mavs for either one of those guys. Minnesota. They have 4 guys fighting for minutes. I think Ridnour would be easy to pry from Minny as he's been on the block for quite some time. Not to mention I think he'd be a great fit with us.

So what would you do if you were MU?
                              I think it really depends on the direction MU decides to take this team. If he is serious about making a playoff push, it makes sense to bring in a veteran backup PG. If he's serious about tanking/rebuilding/retooling and wants to develop young players, it makes sense to see what Stone can do (and possibly add yet another young player as 3rd string PG).

Veterans
                              - Billups would be a good veteran mentor for Lowry, but can't be signed for much more than $2M
                              - Ridnour is apparently on the block in Minny and they need a backup C, after letting Stiemsma walk (I don't think Dieng is ready for backup duties yet), so perhaps a Camby-Ridnour trade?
                              - Beaubois and Udrih aren't bad, but are they significantly better than Stone?

Comment

Wolves want Corey Brewer and are not going to resign Ridnour.... so with some sign an trades Raptors could send Camby to Denver, Corey Brewer goes to Wolves and Luke Ridnour comes to the Raptors as the back-up PG

Comment

Working...
                                X