Possible Target for backup PG: Buycks & Stone signed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    Sure, there is an upside to it if he pans out, but seeing as how he's bounced around between D-League and Europe for a few years I don't think you can put much stock on him being as good as say a Ridnour calibre player. You never know though. This signing says to me that they are not competing for anything next season.
    Its the Raptor Fan Syndrome.

New signing and we glorify it like the second coming of Lebron James.

Comment

• You never know, he could be the next JaMario Moon for this team; a guy totally off the radar who actually contributes something to the team well beyond his price tag.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
        The tanking fire and tweaking fire both burn bright.

I think this was another log for the tanking though.

What about Jordan Taylor?
        Either those two or the Raptors are getting ready for a move to the D-League.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          So you want the game to collapse every time Lowry exits the game?
          Our starting five has zero credible three-point threats (Lowry is reasonably good at the three but not a severe threat) unless Rudy or DeMar suddenly make giant leaps, which is not likely to happen (although it would be nice if it did). That's the entire problem with our offense: it's all guys who want to drive to the hoop or make long twos. Lowry's level of talent means you have five credible potential driving players on offense and which makes the team sort of work (although our lack of perimeter shooting doesn't help), but unless you can duplicate Lowry in a backup, and you can't, then what you're looking for is "guy who keeps the game where it is," and whether that is "behind by three so Lowry can help try to mount a comeback" or "up by four so Lowry can help expand a lead."

There's nothing wrong with this. Plenty of teams use their bench to keep things stable. The best teams get guys who are great roleplayers for their bench, yes, but then again great roleplayers want to sign with the best teams rather than a bad one.

I mean, I thought it was sensible to want someone I know can run the pick n roll with JV and Amir, and someone who can throw an entry pass. Or you know, any pass.
          These are pretty minimal requirements for a backup PG. Again: you might as well go for a project.

Comment

• OT....Lowry's option has to be picked up by the 15th (as I understand). Wonder why the delay today being the 12th.

Comment

• Bendit wrote: View Post
              OT....Lowry's option has to be picked up by the 15th (as I understand). Wonder why the delay today being the 12th.
              Creates money room while we don't have him on the books. Basically it's a maneuvering thing; if we need the space for a trade, we have it, and then we pick up Kyle's option at the last minute.

Comment

• I think Demar's going to be traded in the next few days. Gut feeling. Calling it here first.
                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Love this move. So much better than the BC crap of signing vets with 0 upside. Grab some d-league prospects and 2nd round castoffs and see if the guys can play. Zero-risk and potentially high reward if a guy pans out.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                    Creates money room while we don't have him on the books. Basically it's a maneuvering thing; if we need the space for a trade, we have it, and then we pick up Kyle's option at the last minute.
                    Should have been more explicit...wonder if MU has a trade in mind over the next 3 days. Rhetorical.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      I think Demar's going to be traded in the next few days. Gut feeling. Calling it here first.
                      I could totally see a sign-and-trade for Gerald Henderson with Charlotte happening, since for some reason Charlotte seems to have decided they don't want Henderson even though he's basically better at DeMar in every sort of basketball thing.

Comment

Our starting five has zero credible three-point threats (Lowry is reasonably good at the three but not a severe threat) unless Rudy or DeMar suddenly make giant leaps, which is not likely to happen (although it would be nice if it did). That's the entire problem with our offense: it's all guys who want to drive to the hoop or make long twos. Lowry's level of talent means you have five credible potential driving players on offense and which makes the team sort of work (although our lack of perimeter shooting doesn't help), but unless you can duplicate Lowry in a backup, and you can't, then what you're looking for is "guy who keeps the game where it is," and whether that is "behind by three so Lowry can help try to mount a comeback" or "up by four so Lowry can help expand a lead."

There's nothing wrong with this. Plenty of teams use their bench to keep things stable. The best teams get guys who are great roleplayers for their bench, yes, but then again great roleplayers want to sign with the best teams rather than a bad one.

These are pretty minimal requirements for a backup PG. Again: you might as well go for a project.
                        Man, tell that to BC...

Anyway, like I said, I don't think Price is a worse asset, at least not for this coming season, than a project. He may yet grow a little more as a player, and if he is a legit NBA back up, some team could come calling for him, or he can be included into some deal. I don't think he costs more than the minimum, but hey, if he would have, I wouldn't have signed him.

These projects, Stone and Buycks, only have value if they show something. If they are both failures, or just meh, while they're certainly low-risk, they're possibly no reward. And it's nice to create that competition and hope it pushes one of them. BUt it's entirely likely than neither of them are on the roster in a year or two, especially if Masai decides to blow things up. *Sorry, and it's also possible neither helps return another asset.
                        Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Jul 12, 2013, 12:52 PM.

Comment

I could totally see a sign-and-trade for Gerald Henderson with Charlotte happening, since for some reason Charlotte seems to have decided they don't want Henderson even though he's basically better at DeMar in every sort of basketball thing.
                          i'd definitely do that trade in a heartbeat
                          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            Man, tell that to BC...

Anyway, like I said, I don't think Price is a worse asset, at least not for this coming season, than a project. He may yet grow a little more as a player, and if he is a legit NBA back up, some team could come calling for him, or he can be included into some deal. I don't think he costs more than the minimum, but hey, if he would have, I wouldn't have signed him.
                            I don't think anybody "comes calling" for Price. He isn't an Eric Bledsoe waiting to happen; he's one of . He would've been an acceptable make-the-money-totals-work guy in a trade but nobody is gonna say they specifically need AJ Price, because he's just another competent backup PG with a PER in the 9-13 range and there are literally lots of those.

These projects, Stone and Buycks, only have value if they show something.
                            Entirely true. The difference between them and Price is that Price is a known quantity and his value is not going to increase. Stone and Buycks's values might.

Comment

I don't think anybody "comes calling" for Price. He isn't an Eric Bledsoe waiting to happen; he's one of . He would've been an acceptable make-the-money-totals-work guy in a trade but nobody is gonna say they specifically need AJ Price, because he's just another competent backup PG with a PER in the 9-13 range and there are literally lots of those.

Entirely true. The difference between them and Price is that Price is a known quantity and his value is not going to increase. Stone and Buycks's values might.
                              Right..because it's not like people will trade a 2nd round pick for a backup PG. Heck, if someone could get that for Telfair, even off a dunce like BC, I think Masai could find a 2nd rounder for Price, or use him as filler in a bigger trade.

Again, projects are deceptively attractive. They show nothing, they return nothing. They show something special, and then you still have to decide if they're worth a big investment, or if you could ever get fair value back in a deal....LAC benefitted greatly from having Butler, a quality player with a nice expiring contract. Toronto doesn't have a guy like that...some expirings, but no quality. The best case with such projects is that you end up having an open roster spot and ample resources to keep them. It's very difficult to get good value back if you're forced to trade them. But I'm dubious of PGs in their mid-20s turning into more than quality backups.

*And maybe I should also clarify that I prefer a 2nd rounder, who could be an 18-20 year old prospect, to an unsigned 24-25 year old free agent, in terms of where I think you're likely to find an option with a higher ceiling.
                              Last edited by white men can't jump; Fri Jul 12, 2013, 01:22 PM.

Comment

actually, statistically theyre not far from each other, and both their DRatings are atrociously bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X