Jeff Weltman the new #2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Weltman research (slow days, no?):

The foremost topic of our interview was analytics and their place in the NBA. You might know that many NBA teams now employ stats experts, but you may not have known that the Bucks are one of those teams.

Indeed, Jon Nichols, whose work had been featured on SBNation.com's very own Orlando Pinstriped Post, in addition to the charming Hardwood Paroxysm and excellent New York Times NBA blog prior to landing a job in the league, currently functions as a statistical analyst for the Bucks (Do click those three links to see some of Jon's published work -- he also created basketball-statistics.com, which, as of his NBA career, no longer exists). As Nichols is not available for interviews at this time, the Bucks set me up with Weltman, about which I had no qualms.

After all, Weltman has not only been GM John Hammond's right-hand man since following John from Detroit to Milwaukee in 2008, he is an articulate basketball thinker who wrote a series of articles as part of Scouts Inc. for ESPN.com after leaving Denver and before teaming up with Hammond in Detroit. He speaks our language, even if the timing of our interview meant he could not use many of the important words of our language.

http://www.brewhoop.com/2011/8/30/23...an-we-view-the
    Part 2 of brewhoops.om interview:
    http://www.brewhoop.com/2011/9/1/239...ing-the-season

Anyone with Insider can read his work with Scouts Inc. for ESPN here (I don't have Insider):

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...cksBlueprint07
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Mon Jun 10, 2013, 10:08 AM.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
      the more pro analytically guys we have come in the less i see demar and rudy sticking around
      That is a point worth more thought.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post

Anyone with Insider can read his work with Scouts Inc. for ESPN here (I don't have Insider):

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insid...cksBlueprint07
        After landing the first pick in the 2005 draft and using it to select Andrew Bogut, Milwaukee further upgraded its club that year by adding free agents Bobby Simmons and Charlie Bell, drafting Ersan Ilyasova in the second round, and re-signing Michael Redd and Dan Gadzuric.

As if that weren't enough activity for one summer, the Bucks traded swingman Desmond Mason to New Orleans in exchange for center Jamaal Magloire a few days before the season.

As a result of all the movement on the Milwaukee roster, the Bucks improved by 10 games in the 2005-06 season and came in at 40-42, good enough to qualify them for the playoffs. Despite losing 4-1 to Detroit in the opening round, they had demonstrated marked improvement and were in good shape financially.

This season has been a disappointment for Milwaukee. This is largely due to a rash of injuries to its core players sustained throughout the season, beginning with starter Bobby Simmons, whose right heel has caused him to miss the entire season, and including All-Star guard Michael Redd.

The Bucks' record is currently the third worst in the NBA.
        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I don't think talent-wise there is a big difference between Ed and Jeff as numbers twos. I think the biggest reason for it is that now there's no lingering ideas/feelings that things should be moving in the same direction that they had been. I like the change.

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
            I don't think talent-wise there is a big difference between Ed and Jeff as numbers twos. I think the biggest reason for it is that now there's no lingering ideas/feelings that things should be moving in the same direction that they had been. I like the change.
            Exactly what I was going to write.

The other thing I like about the Weltman hiring, is that he seems to know his place as a #2, and accepts this to be his strength.

Comment

You have to applaud the fact that TL and UM got the guy they wanted.. however looking at his resume I'm meh on the decision. He has experience and likes analytics but what has he really done that was remarkable?

Milwaukee is one of the worst run teams in my opinion. They are the definition of mediocrity. Too good to get a bad pick in the draft, but too bad to go anywhere in the playoffs. They traded Harris (a Bobcats pick) for a guy that might bail in free agency. I like the Sanders and Henson picks.. but I don't really see any picks that blow me away either.

Being a part of the Clippers franchise in the early 90's is also not something that gets me giddy.

However.. that being said, Ujiri has the final say, and he wanted him to help him with his decisions. So I really hope it works out.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                You have to applaud the fact that TL and UM got the guy they wanted.. however looking at his resume I'm meh on the decision. He has experience and likes analytics but what has he really done that was remarkable?

Milwaukee is one of the worst run teams in my opinion. They are the definition of mediocrity. Too good to get a bad pick in the draft, but too bad to go anywhere in the playoffs. They traded Harris (a Bobcats pick) for a guy that might bail in free agency. I like the Sanders and Henson picks.. but I don't really see any picks that blow me away either.

Being a part of the Clippers franchise in the early 90's is also not something that gets me giddy.

However.. that being said, Ujiri has the final say, and he wanted him to help him with his decisions. So I really hope it works out.
                It is of course very difficult to assign kudos or blame for any personnel decisions on a #2 man. He is after all not the final arbiter on the final decision. We dont even know how vehement he may have been against a specific decision. At this point the only thing that matters is your last sentence. And that JW wanted to come here though it seems money may have had something to do with it too.

Comment

Maybe he can convince the Bucks to trade their 15th overall pick to the Raptors
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

That's how I felt at first... But I mean Buford wasn't always Buford. Pop wasn't always Pop. Getting on at the ground floor is easier than trying to pry someone away from another organization. Not every team is Nuggets Cheap.

Comment

what exactly do think his job will be?

and just a reminder of which team made playoffs and which didnt.

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
                        what exactly do think his job will be?

and just a reminder of which team made playoffs and which didnt.
                        He's an assistant, so will work with Masai to create the best possible team.. however making the playoffs and being contenders are two completely different things. The Bucks were never contenders and losing 4-0 to the Heat prove that.

TL does not want to be a 7-11 team however the Bucks were in the range for the past 5 years (they were 6th in 2009 and 12th in 2008). I'm not saying every decision was Weltman's and I do put most of the blame on Hammond's shoulders, but he was partly responsible.

Look, it could work out, and UM and he could be great together.. but when Tim indicated that he was putting together a really good front office, I can't say that I was super excited after seeing Weltman's name pop-up. Just like I wasn't excited to see Stefanski's name pop-up last year.

Comment

He's an assistant, so will work with Masai to create the best possible team.. however making the playoffs and being contenders are two completely different things. The Bucks were never contenders and losing 4-0 to the Heat prove that.

TL does not want to be a 7-11 team however the Bucks were in the range for the past 5 years (they were 6th in 2009 and 12th in 2008). I'm not saying every decision was Weltman's and I do put most of the blame on Hammond's shoulders, but he was partly responsible.

Look, it could work out, and UM and he could be great together.. but when Tim indicated that he was putting together a really good front office, I can't say that I was super excited after seeing Weltman's name pop-up. Just like I wasn't excited to see Stefanski's name pop-up last year.
                          I'll admit that Weltman wasn't the obvious choice based on TLs rhetoric. Far from it actually.
                          But I imagine this was more a decision made by Ujiri, than TL.

Comment

so what, phil jackson or bust for assistant gm?

how about listing off who else and from what franchise instead you'd have swiped to fill the assistant gm role?

Comment

One thing he has in his favour is he is a guy well respected around the league. You are not finalists for GM positions if you are not highly thought of - at least I think.

From reading about him, I believe his strengths are knowledge of the CBA, talent evaluation, and advanced statistical analysis.

Also the Bucks have been one of the more active teams on the trade front over the last 2 years. I think he would have had a hand in that.

I guess if you want an indication of what he has been a part of, here is John Hammond's body of work as Bucks GM:

http://hoopshype.com/general_managers/john_hammond.htm

In Weltman's defense, he was hired AFTER the Joe Alexander debacle and there has not been another one of those in the last 5 years

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
                                so what, phil jackson or bust for assistant gm?

how about listing off who else and from what franchise instead you'd have swiped to fill the assistant gm role?
                                I would prefer a guy that was involved with a reputable organization.. like San Antonio, LAL, Boston, Denver, OKC/Seattle, Houston, Utah, or Dallas.

If I was trying to get the best of the best then I would be targeting guys who helped build those teams.

Comment

Working...
                                X