No announcement yet.

Raptors Rebuild Blueprint Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rockets have told agents for Francisco Garcia, Carlos Delfino and Aaron Brooks that they will not pickup contract options this month. That exception and veteran’s minimums could be used to shift to a much more experienced roster if the Rockets land a top free agent, a plan they apparently will make a significant part of their presentation. The Rockets have paid the luxury tax just once in the 15 seasons with the system, but according to the individual with knowledge of the plan, they also will emphasize that they would be willing to pay the tax to keep a winning team together. Houston Chronicle
    If shedding salary is the goal I would not mind picking up Aaron Brooks, and Carlos Delfino on the cheap.

I would also look at ways to acquire Donatas Motiejunas or Thomas Robinson. I truly think the way we get better is by taking advantage of teams looking to make major moves and snagging pieces on the fly.

The Clippers are also looking at doing some upgrading, which made me think a package like DeMar DeRozan for Caron Butler and Eric Bledsoe could be interesting
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
      They didn't let Iguodala go, he opted out and they still might resign him. But Iguodala isn't LeBron and Denver isn't Cleveland. His departure will make but a small dent. The other two guys weren't playing, so I just don't know why the hell that would lead to tanking. They are still a 50 win team with what they got. Sometimes you say the weirdest things.
      Denver could have offered and negotiated an extension before Igoudala opted out. It's the way it's usually done if the team is interested in keeping the player. As there's no reason to believe that last year's success will continue, Igoudala has no reason to be interested. Speculation but logical.

I think you're underestimating the importance of GM and Coach in team success. If you think they would have had 57 wins last year with a different GM and Coach you're totally mistaken.
      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
        If shedding salary is the goal I would not mind picking up Aaron Brooks, and Carlos Delfino on the cheap....
        I liked Caros when he was in Toronto. I can't remember what happened that he left, traded or just not re-signed, but I remember being a little disappointed.

His play hasn't changed much. He's a better 3 point shooter than anyone currently on the team, which is something they need, but he is not what you would call an ace...just better than Anderson, Lowry or Gay.

I remember him as being a pretty good defensive player. He's getting 25 minutes a game in Houston. so essentially he would be replacing Anderson.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
          Denver could have offered and negotiated an extension before Igoudala opted out. It's the way it's usually done if the team is interested in keeping the player. As there's no reason to believe that last year's success will continue, Igoudala has no reason to be interested. Speculation but logical.

I think you're underestimating the importance of GM and Coach in team success. If you think they would have had 57 wins last year with a different GM and Coach you're totally mistaken.
          I'm not. And I'm not exactly close to believing that losing a gm and coach means they have to tank. Does that get them the first pick in the gm draft? I like Karl as a coach, but he isn't superman; he can easily be replaced with another coach, maybe even someone who can get them more post season succes (which isn't hard). You don't tank because you lose management, that's beyond insane.

Comment

[QUOTE=Soft Euro;212934]I'm not. And I'm not exactly close to believing that losing a gm and coach means they have to tank/QUOTE]

I don't think they have to tank. They are very well positioned to do an overhaul though. Depending on the new GM and coaches vision they could have a drastically different philosophy. So although a lot of players could be on the move I don't think it would be a step back as much as one in a different direction
            For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
              I liked Caros when he was in Toronto. I can't remember what happened that he left, traded or just not re-signed, but I remember being a little disappointed.

His play hasn't changed much. He's a better 3 point shooter than anyone currently on the team, which is something they need, but he is not what you would call an ace...just better than Anderson, Lowry or Gay.

I remember him as being a pretty good defensive player. He's getting 25 minutes a game in Houston. so essentially he would be replacing Anderson.
              The Raptors traded Delfino (and Ukic) for Amir Johnson (and Weems). I like Deflino too. I'd rather have him than Allan Anderson.

Comment

Delfino had played in Europe for a year or so and he didn't want to come back to the raptors I believe. We still owned his rights and hence he, or better, his rights, were traded. If I remember correctly...

Comment

Celtics, Clippers & Lakers

The Los Angeles Clippers and the Boston Celtics have formally opened serious discussions on multiple transactions that potentially could add up to a seismic trade arrangement that ultimately lands Celtics stars Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce and coach Doc Rivers in L.A.
                  weighing the prospect of offering star forward Blake Griffin in tandem with prized young guard Eric Bledsoe to the Los Angeles Lakers in a sign-and-trade pitch to land Dwight Howard after July 1.
                  All of these potential transactions, sources say, are part of the Clippers' intent, as reported Thursday by ESPN.com, to be "very aggressive" and "shake every tree" in an attempt to upgrade the roster to the point that Paul not only re-signs when he becomes a free agent on July 1 but that they are an unquestioned championship contender.
                  Source: ESPN.com

Opportunity knocks for the Raptors if they choose to wrestle their way in as a third party.
                  Last edited by Apollo; Sun Jun 16, 2013, 01:17 PM. Reason: .

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
                    The Raptors traded Delfino (and Ukic) for Amir Johnson (and Weems). I like Deflino too. I'd rather have him than Allan Anderson.
                    Well I would say having Amir has been more of a benefit than having Carlos would have been. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing him back. Seemed like a good guy. And I really liked the "Latin Assassin" nickname I hung on him back in the altraps.com blogging days.

Comment

HOW ABOUT? Marcus Camby for Drea Bargnani, paired with Quincy Acey and Landry Fields. Can you say defense. Dwayne Casey could build a solid, agressive second unit. Experience, hustle, iq, this seems almost too perfect. Saves Knicks some cash, might be great for both teams. Then sign a back up pg, shooter or distributor hmmm, Jose Calderone...

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        Source: ESPN.com

Opportunity knocks for the Raptors if they choose to wrestle their way in as a third party.
                        Does that mean we can get Blake Griffin .. ? I'd do that in a heartbeat, along as we can keep JV.

Comment

I don't know about that. If the Lakers lose D12 they need something major in return to save face and to stay competitive. I was thinking more along the lines of dumping off Bargnani in exchange for some assets to help the blockbuster along of taking on smaller pieces and eating up contracts to get the deal done.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            I don't know about that. If the Lakers lose D12 they need something major in return to save face and to stay competitive. I was thinking more along the lines of dumping off Bargnani in exchange for some assets to help the blockbuster along of taking on smaller pieces and eating up contracts to get the deal done.
                            Everything I have read has said that if the Lakers lose Howard they may have interest in sign and trade but they have no interest in taking on significant salary going beyond 2014 (so no Bargnani.... or Lin or Asik). They intend to be major players next summer in free agency.

Comment

Soft Euro wrote: View Post
                              I'm not. And I'm not exactly close to believing that losing a gm and coach means they have to tank. Does that get them the first pick in the gm draft? I like Karl as a coach, but he isn't superman; he can easily be replaced with another coach, maybe even someone who can get them more post season succes (which isn't hard). You don't tank because you lose management, that's beyond insane.
                              Gallineri, Lawson, Miller, McGee, W Chandler, Faried and some other pieces constitutes Denvers team.

They've lost their GM who other than bringing the above together added Igoudala last year, a Coach without whom they would have been lucky to make the play-offs, leave alone win 57 games and Igoudala. Obviously they couldn't afford to retain Ujiri or sign Karl to an extension which means money is an issue. Is it possible to luck out with a rookie GM just as shrewd and a Coach just as good? It is but unlikely. Is it possible to comfortably make the play-offs with the above mentioned roster plus an addition or two? It is but when I put myself in the new GM's shoes, it simply makes sense to trade assets, accumulate draft picks, tank and take advantage of the 2014 draft rather than gamble with a mediocre roster

That's just me though. Let's see what happens.
                              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

"HEY! How can we help?"

The following are teams to my estimation that are primed to make major moves this off-season along with players I would be interested in obtaining. Which begs the question....hey (insert team name here) we hear you want (insert all star player here), we want (insert significant role player/project here)....how can we help?

BOSTON - Courtney Lee, Brandon Bass
                                BROOKLYN - Mirza Teletovic, Reggie Evans
                                CLEVELAND - Anderson Verajao
                                DALLAS - Shawn Marion, Jae Crowder
                                HOUSTON - Donatas Motiejunas, Thomas Robinson
                                LAC - Eric Bledsoe, Caron Butler
                                LAL - Pau Gasol, Steve Blake, Robert Sacre.

Comment

Working...
                                X