Road to 2015 playoffs... Yes, 2015!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road to 2015 playoffs... Yes, 2015!

Here is a plan I've been thinking of all day at work. Since Ujiri was hired, we hear a lot (again) about rebuilding, or at least a ''mini'' rebuild. At first I was all against this approach but now I think that we kinda need it if we really want to compete with the best of 'em. We have to go step by step. So here's my plan, starting right now, going through summer of 2014.

To do list before the 2013 NBA draft:
    -Trade Rudy Gay for a high pick in the 2013 NBA draft and a backup center
    -Trade Andrea Bargnani for a pick in the 2013 NBA draft (1st or 2nd round it doesn't matter) and a 3rd SG (expiring contract)
    -Draft a power forward with the high 2013 NBA draft pick (Noel, Zeller, etc.)
    -Draft a G/F with the other pick

To do list for the summer of 2013:
    -Amnesty Linas Kleiza
    -Bring in Tomislav Zubcic (2012 Raptors’ second round draft pick)
    -Sign a backup PG on a 1 year contract

So this would be the 2013-2014 Raptors’ roster :

Valanciunas/Trade/Gray
    Johnson/Rookie/Acy
    Fields/Zubcic/Rookie
    DeRozan/Ross/Trade
    Lowry/FA/Lucas

If you didn’t catch it, this would be a ‘’mini’’ tanking season. A lot of playing time allowed to the young players for them to develop.

Then comes the end of the 2013-2014 NBA season.

To do list on 2014 NBA draft night :
    -Draft a stud SF with our first round pick (Wiggins, Parker, etc.)
    -Draft a 3rd PG with our second round pick

To do list for summer of 2014 :
    -Sign free agents

So this would be the 2014-2015 Raptors’ roster :

Valanciunas/Trade/FA
    Johnson /Sophomore/Acy
    Rookie/Fields/Zubcic/Sophomore
    DeRozan/Ross/FA
    FA/FA/Rookie

Long term, I think this is a really good plan. Playoffs 2015, here we come… NBA Championship 2016, HERE WE COME.

What do you guys think?

Nobody?

Comment

There's nothing necessarily wrong with the thought process, I'm just not sure what Rudy gets on the open market, what happens if no one is willing to offer any picks for him? If Rudy is still on the roster for 2014 than your whole process falls apart.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        There's nothing necessarily wrong with the thought process, I'm just not sure what Rudy gets on the open market, what happens if no one is willing to offer any picks for him? If Rudy is still on the roster for 2014 than your whole process falls apart.
        That's true but let's assume he's not, isn't it the goal of this trade section?

Comment

Think your anticipating too much value for Rudy. More likely mid 1st round pick. Would be happier to see that pick and Bags gone for a real starting forward. Farried, Millsap, Love, Paul Pierce, Ersan Illysova. Immediate improvement, scoring efficiency, defensive acumen. Then all Massai has to do is find a back up pg.

OR Bags for Humpty hump, or Bags + cash + future second for Marcus Cambie or Bags for late 1st rounder (Jeff Withey)

Comment

I would be thrilled if we moved Gay for the #4 pick and drafted Anthony Bennett or Trey Burke. Overall though, I like your plan.
            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
            X