Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Jason Kidd Named Head Coach of Nets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jason Kidd Named Head Coach of Nets

Found this pretty fantastic and ballsy of JKidd ... literally a week after retiring as a player, he is angling for the Head Coaching position in Brooklyn. I have to say though .. I think this is a great idea. I don't a player in the league who wouldnt' listen to what JKidd has to say, and god knows he knows how to run an offense.

What do you guys think, good idea for Brooklyn?

Gregg Popovich seems to be on board -
    "Well, you know, I think of course it's an individual thing, but when you've played in the league as long as Jason has and played for a number of coaches, he's pretty much seen everything that the NBA can offer. So he does have experience," Popovich said before Game 2 of the finals.

Popovich tried to sign Kidd away from the Nets a decade ago, believing he could help mentor point guard Tony Parker.

"If he's crazy enough to want to be a head coach in the league, I wish him all the best," Popovich said. "But he certainly has the intuitive skills to know what's going on out there. Obviously, he would be able to have relationships with the players that he's had with his coaches throughout."
    Source
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star tucas's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Since in most cases assistant coaches are split(some selected by head coach, some selected by GM), I see him being brought in as an assistant first. I can't see Jason Kidd just being thrown into the fire a week after retiring as a player. I do see him as a head coach eventually, just after he gets a couple years of experience under his belt.

Post Thanks / Like

He's a proven leader who has been around the game his whole life and who has the utmost respect in the basketball world.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    He's a proven leader who has been around the game his whole life and who has the utmost respect in the basketball world.
    I don't think anyone would dispute that, but to throw him into a job with such immense pressure like the Brooklyn job, without any experience? That does not sound like a good idea to me.

I am sure he will be a fine coach eventually, but not so soon and not in Brooklyn.

Raptors Republic All-Star Red and White's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I must say though, it is pretty cool the week he retires he tries to get a head coaching job. So much love for the game that he doesn't even want a bit of time off.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

No doubt he has the knowledge to be a head coach, but making the jump that quick makes me doubtful. I think he'd be better off starting off as an associate coach, and then moving up later on.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Post Thanks / Like

Default Deal In Place?

The Nets have the parameters for a three-year deal in place to make future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd their next head coach, according to a person familiar with the situation.
    Source: NY Post

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing if this is true. I think this will allow JKidd to become his own version of what a Coach should be, as opposed to being an Assistant Coach for so long you forget what made everything work for you.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

He's a smart guy and a proven leader. He deserves a shot. The fans will love him. The fans will give him a long leash. If D-Will can't respond to Kidd then it will have been well established that he's an overrated prima donna.

Post Thanks / Like

had to be done..
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Post Thanks / Like

If D-Will can't respond to Kidd then it will have been well established that he's an overrated prima donna.
    This is exactly my thinking behind his hiring. JKidd is exactly the kind of PG DWill should model himself after; and now he's his coach.
    In Masai we Trust.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah and so these next few seasons will be telling.

Post Thanks / Like

Default It's official:

The Brooklyn Nets have named Jason Kidd their new head coach, the team announced Wednesday night.
    Source: ESPN.com

Raptors Republic All-Star RandomGuy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Suit n' tie...
    #FREE

Post Thanks / Like

Love this. I think this is a great move for everyone involved I think. Its a veteran team as well, which will help JKidd.
    In Masai we Trust.

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Meh, first round exit 2014.

Post Thanks / Like

Bold statement when you don't even know their 2014 roster.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think they'll get very far.

NBA players can tweet about him "being a leader" all they want. Like that means anything. NBA players seem to have no issue disrespecting coaches with even many years of experience under their belt. Now enter Kidd, with zero coaching experience. Someone they are more likely to see as an 'equal', rather than someone to look upto. And they're gonna dump him right into the big leagues too.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason Kidd is a hall of fame PG. If they don't look up to him, a man who's seen it all, then what hope do they have? "His equal"? He's an all-time great for crying out loud. I'm excited for the Nets. It will be a fun year and I'm rooting for Kidd even though he's in the division.

Post Thanks / Like

Turns out it was a BAD idea...

Quote SI.com wrote:
    "Just bad coaching," is how Jason Kidd described what's ailing the Nets, but his players defended him Tuesday. It is surely too soon to judge Kidd's coaching acumen, but it is fair to wonder whether he was ready for this job, on this stage, with these weighty expectations. A veteran scout, interviewed earlier in the day and speaking on the condition of anonymity, called Kidd's bench comportment "terrible," observing that the play-calling has fallen mostly to his top assistants, Lawrence Frank and John Welch. "He doesn't do anything," said the scout, who has watched the Nets several times. "He doesn't make calls. John Welch does all the offense. Lawrence does all the defense. ... I don't know what Kidd does. I don't think you can grade him and say he's bad. You can give him an incomplete."

Source
    In Masai we Trust.

21. Like LBF liked this post

Thread Information