Jason Kidd Named Head Coach of Nets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jason Kidd Named Head Coach of Nets

Found this pretty fantastic and ballsy of JKidd ... literally a week after retiring as a player, he is angling for the Head Coaching position in Brooklyn. I have to say though .. I think this is a great idea. I don't a player in the league who wouldnt' listen to what JKidd has to say, and god knows he knows how to run an offense.

What do you guys think, good idea for Brooklyn?

Gregg Popovich seems to be on board -
    "Well, you know, I think of course it's an individual thing, but when you've played in the league as long as Jason has and played for a number of coaches, he's pretty much seen everything that the NBA can offer. So he does have experience," Popovich said before Game 2 of the finals.

Popovich tried to sign Kidd away from the Nets a decade ago, believing he could help mentor point guard Tony Parker.

"If he's crazy enough to want to be a head coach in the league, I wish him all the best," Popovich said. "But he certainly has the intuitive skills to know what's going on out there. Obviously, he would be able to have relationships with the players that he's had with his coaches throughout."
    Source

Since in most cases assistant coaches are split(some selected by head coach, some selected by GM), I see him being brought in as an assistant first. I can't see Jason Kidd just being thrown into the fire a week after retiring as a player. I do see him as a head coach eventually, just after he gets a couple years of experience under his belt.

Comment

He's a proven leader who has been around the game his whole life and who has the utmost respect in the basketball world.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        He's a proven leader who has been around the game his whole life and who has the utmost respect in the basketball world.
        I don't think anyone would dispute that, but to throw him into a job with such immense pressure like the Brooklyn job, without any experience? That does not sound like a good idea to me.

I am sure he will be a fine coach eventually, but not so soon and not in Brooklyn.

Comment

I must say though, it is pretty cool the week he retires he tries to get a head coaching job. So much love for the game that he doesn't even want a bit of time off.

Comment

No doubt he has the knowledge to be a head coach, but making the jump that quick makes me doubtful. I think he'd be better off starting off as an associate coach, and then moving up later on.
            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Deal In Place?

The Nets have the parameters for a three-year deal in place to make future Hall of Famer Jason Kidd their next head coach, according to a person familiar with the situation.
              Source: NY Post

Comment

Amazing if this is true. I think this will allow JKidd to become his own version of what a Coach should be, as opposed to being an Assistant Coach for so long you forget what made everything work for you.

Comment

He's a smart guy and a proven leader. He deserves a shot. The fans will love him. The fans will give him a long leash. If D-Will can't respond to Kidd then it will have been well established that he's an overrated prima donna.

Comment

had to be done..
                    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

If D-Will can't respond to Kidd then it will have been well established that he's an overrated prima donna.
                      This is exactly my thinking behind his hiring. JKidd is exactly the kind of PG DWill should model himself after; and now he's his coach.

Comment

Yeah and so these next few seasons will be telling.

Comment

It's official:

The Brooklyn Nets have named Jason Kidd their new head coach, the team announced Wednesday night.
                          Source: ESPN.com

Comment

Suit n' tie...
                            Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Love this. I think this is a great move for everyone involved I think. Its a veteran team as well, which will help JKidd.

Comment

Working...
                              X