Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...yer-comparison

Ouch. Two Raptors players in the Top Ten.

What do you think is/are the worst mistake/s the Raptors ever made, from management down to the players?

My top would be hiring Colangelo.
    Next would probably be drafting Araujo
    and third is not trading Bosh a season earlier.
    - Trading Carter.
    - Not trading Bosh a season earlier.
    - Babcock hiring
    - Araujo draft.
    - Drafting Bargnani 1st overall.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

JStockton wrote: View Post
      All moves (aside frm signing Calderon) by Babcock.
      Speaking of Babcock, I've always felt he wasn't given a fair chance. Yes he'll always be remembered and hated for the TERRIBLE VC trade but in fairness to him, he was fired only a year and a half after being hired.

BTW the worst mistakes IMO are:

1) Firing Sam Mitchell: I put this on the top of my list because IMO retaining Sam would have led to at least another play off appearance(possibly 2nd round) which could have led to Bosh re-signing therefore a few more play off appearances.

2) Failure to trade Bosh: I remember it being the year when Raps. were at 4th place at the all-star break and like many I agreed that not trading him was the best thing to do. However I don't think BC should be able to say the same. It's the reason he's GM and we're fans. He's supposed to think differently. He's supposed to make decisions in the best interest of the team.

3) The terrible VC trade: Another wasted opportunity. Probably first in the list of 'wasted opportunities'.
      Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Drafting Bargnani was not a mistake..... keeping him for as long as we did when it was clear he isnt living up to what he coulda/shoulda/woulda been is.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
          1) Not drafting AI over Araujo.

2) I don't regret hiring Colangelo. I don't regret drafting Bargnani. Colangelo's refusal to trade him when he still had value is the issue.

3) The Jermaine O'Neal trade which led to Marion trade which led to Turk sign and trade.
          The reason why i did not include the JO trade was because JO was avg. 13pts, 7 rebs and 2blks per game when they acquired him, obviously for the purpose of protecting the rim and getting rebounds. And it somehow worked when he averaged pretty much the same numbers with the Raptors and with a higher FG% to add. It was the injury that was the deal breaker.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
            Some pent up emotions about T-Mac? I always thought he was a low character guy too, but none the less if we could have done what it took to keep him it could have changed the fortunes of this franchise to this day.
            They aren't pent up. I don't repress them. I frequently mock and disrespect him.

There's nothing they could have done to keep him. He wanted to go play in Florida because he was homesick. Well, if you're not ready to leave home, you're not ready to be a professional. And McGrady never became a good professional. Still seems like an immature guy.

Comment

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...yer-comparison

Ouch. Two Raptors players in the Top Ten.

What do you think is/are the worst mistake/s the Raptors ever made, from management down to the players?

My top would be hiring Colangelo.
              Next would probably be drafting Araujo
              and third is not trading Bosh a season earlier.
              Actually, I mind take back the drafting of Araujo as one of the mistakes.

Araujo averaged 18pts and 10 rebs per game his last year at BYU, with a 60% FG.

Comment

But he was a year older than most seniors in college. He was 24 when the Raptors brought him to camp. So he was a 23 year old senior in college who weighed 295 lbs. He was just too heavy for guys to handle.
                Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jun 11, 2013, 05:15 PM.

Comment

And he was still projected to go about #16-20. Not 8th. BYU played in a ridiculously bad WCC that year, so a lot of people felt his numbers were more a cause of the competition rather than talent. It was a HUGE mistake to draft him. Biggest by the team aside from the handling of Vince Carter.

ADD You can see here that NBADraft.net had Araujo going #16 to the Jazz.
                  Where as Iguodala was projected #7.
                  That is a nice representation of the average mock for that year, from what I remember.
                  Pretty sure Andre was projected as high as 5th, and Araujo as low as late 1st round.
                  Last edited by Joey; Tue Jun 11, 2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Nate Robinson beat Hoffa in a Jumpball ...

Comment

talk about overvaluing college stats

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        This is total BS. The franchise invested TONS of time into T-Mac, a totally raw rookie out of high school who by his 3rd season was playing 30+ mpg, and the consensus second best player on the team only because Vince was older and further ahead in his development.

McGrady leaving had nothing to do with how the franchise treated him, and everything to do with McGrady's immaturity and ego. They could've, and actually would've, bent over backwards to keep him. HE wanted to leave. For what? To be the man? Well he was joining an Orlando team with Grant Hill, who was an even more established (temporally) star in the league than Carter. He's just a little sissy bitch who was scared of winter and being away from his mommy or something.

*And I think his career speaks for itself. Low character guy. Only cared about numbers and glory, and didn't know how to play winning basketball.
                        Maybe TMac would have left on his own accord regardless, however I met and had a long conversation with Antonio Davis in Scotia Plaza the year after TMac left and he said that they never offered him the max and his contract was filled with incentives including how many times he was supposed to work out per month, etc. He felt it was disrespectful and even Davis said that Tracy worked out often, it was Vince who needed to be monitored to ensure he was always training his body the right way. He also said that if they had of offered Tmac what they were planning to offfer Vince (max deals) he would have stayed.

Who knows what would have happened but this was the opinion of one of his teammates. Someone who might have far more insight than you or I.

Comment

The reason why i did not include the JO trade was because JO was avg. 13pts, 7 rebs and 2blks per game when they acquired him, obviously for the purpose of protecting the rim and getting rebounds. And it somehow worked when he averaged pretty much the same numbers with the Raptors and with a higher FG% to add. It was the injury that was the deal breaker.
                          I look at it as the snowball that turned in to an avalanche of mistakes. Each one compounded the other.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                            Maybe TMac would have left on his own accord regardless, however I met and had a long conversation with Antonio Davis in Scotia Plaza the year after TMac left and he said that they never offered him the max and his contract was filled with incentives including how many times he was supposed to work out per month, etc. He felt it was disrespectful and even Davis said that Tracy worked out often, it was Vince who needed to be monitored to ensure he was always training his body the right way. He also said that if they had of offered Tmac what they were planning to offfer Vince (max deals) he would have stayed.

Who knows what would have happened but this was the opinion of one of his teammates. Someone who might have far more insight than you or I.
                            Or you could say that he used a "lowball" offer from Toronto as leverage to get offers from other teams, such as, obviously, the Magic. No offense, but I don't really trust some story from a random encounter with Antonio Davis.

Look, McGrady was a 3rd year player whose scoring average went from single digits to 15ish ppg in his 3rd year before his contract expired. I doubt much haggling went on. Toronto would never have started with a max contract and clearly would be reluctant to offer that since they obviously would have to invest one in Carter. They wanted to work something out and were even willing to give him incentives for working out. I don't think that was meant to be insulting, it was meant to make his contract as valuable as possible without making it a max deal. I mean, it's stuff he should do as a pro anyway, and clearly didn't do enough of given how quickly he fell to pieces.

But that wasn't what McGrady wanted. He used the "failed" negotiations with Toronto as leverage to get a gigantic offer from Orlando, which is where he wanted to go all along.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              Or you could say that he used a "lowball" offer from Toronto as leverage to get offers from other teams, such as, obviously, the Magic. No offense, but I don't really trust some story from a random encounter with Antonio Davis.

Look, McGrady was a 3rd year player whose scoring average went from single digits to 15ish ppg in his 3rd year before his contract expired. I doubt much haggling went on. Toronto would never have started with a max contract and clearly would be reluctant to offer that since they obviously would have to invest one in Carter. They wanted to work something out and were even willing to give him incentives for working out. I don't think that was meant to be insulting, it was meant to make his contract as valuable as possible without making it a max deal. I mean, it's stuff he should do as a pro anyway, and clearly didn't do enough of given how quickly he fell to pieces.

But that wasn't what McGrady wanted. He used the "failed" negotiations with Toronto as leverage to get a gigantic offer from Orlando, which is where he wanted to go all along.
                              But then look what happened, he immediately jumped from 15ppg to 27ppg. He was a better basketball player than Vince when he was in his prime. Orlando put their faith in his potential, something the Raptors probably should have done. And plus it's his home town, why would you bash a guy for wanting to play for his home town? It's not his fault Orlando's management surrounded him with shitty talent. He could have done great things in Houston too had he not had those knee injuries, especially in 2007, the year the Rockets had a 22 game winning streak.
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

1) signing hakeem
                                2) drafting araujo
                                3) hiring Lenny Wilkins/Kevin O'Neil, take your pick

Comment

Working...
                                X