Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raptors Worst Mistake/s

Raptors Republic Superstar TheGloveinRapsUniform's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...yer-comparison

Ouch. Two Raptors players in the Top Ten.

What do you think is/are the worst mistake/s the Raptors ever made, from management down to the players?

My top would be hiring Colangelo.
    Next would probably be drafting Araujo
    and third is not trading Bosh a season earlier.
    Actually, I mind take back the drafting of Araujo as one of the mistakes.

Araujo averaged 18pts and 10 rebs per game his last year at BYU, with a 60% FG.

Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

But he was a year older than most seniors in college. He was 24 when the Raptors brought him to camp. So he was a 23 year old senior in college who weighed 295 lbs. He was just too heavy for guys to handle.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jun 11th, 2013 at 05:15 PM.

3. Like Letter N liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

And he was still projected to go about #16-20. Not 8th. BYU played in a ridiculously bad WCC that year, so a lot of people felt his numbers were more a cause of the competition rather than talent. It was a HUGE mistake to draft him. Biggest by the team aside from the handling of Vince Carter.

ADD You can see here that NBADraft.net had Araujo going #16 to the Jazz.
    Where as Iguodala was projected #7.
    That is a nice representation of the average mock for that year, from what I remember.
    Pretty sure Andre was projected as high as 5th, and Araujo as low as late 1st round.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Jun 11th, 2013 at 05:21 PM.
    "I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Post Thanks / Like

Nate Robinson beat Hoffa in a Jumpball ...

"I just dunked. Got a little dunk. Thatís nice." Terrence Ross

Post Thanks / Like

talk about overvaluing college stats

Raptors Republic All-Star
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    This is total BS. The franchise invested TONS of time into T-Mac, a totally raw rookie out of high school who by his 3rd season was playing 30+ mpg, and the consensus second best player on the team only because Vince was older and further ahead in his development.

McGrady leaving had nothing to do with how the franchise treated him, and everything to do with McGrady's immaturity and ego. They could've, and actually would've, bent over backwards to keep him. HE wanted to leave. For what? To be the man? Well he was joining an Orlando team with Grant Hill, who was an even more established (temporally) star in the league than Carter. He's just a little sissy bitch who was scared of winter and being away from his mommy or something.

*And I think his career speaks for itself. Low character guy. Only cared about numbers and glory, and didn't know how to play winning basketball.
    Maybe TMac would have left on his own accord regardless, however I met and had a long conversation with Antonio Davis in Scotia Plaza the year after TMac left and he said that they never offered him the max and his contract was filled with incentives including how many times he was supposed to work out per month, etc. He felt it was disrespectful and even Davis said that Tracy worked out often, it was Vince who needed to be monitored to ensure he was always training his body the right way. He also said that if they had of offered Tmac what they were planning to offfer Vince (max deals) he would have stayed.

Who knows what would have happened but this was the opinion of one of his teammates. Someone who might have far more insight than you or I.

Post Thanks / Like

The reason why i did not include the JO trade was because JO was avg. 13pts, 7 rebs and 2blks per game when they acquired him, obviously for the purpose of protecting the rim and getting rebounds. And it somehow worked when he averaged pretty much the same numbers with the Raptors and with a higher FG% to add. It was the injury that was the deal breaker.
    I look at it as the snowball that turned in to an avalanche of mistakes. Each one compounded the other.
    "You donít know the Bruno Caboclo......"
    Bruno Caboclo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote sleepz wrote: View Post
    Maybe TMac would have left on his own accord regardless, however I met and had a long conversation with Antonio Davis in Scotia Plaza the year after TMac left and he said that they never offered him the max and his contract was filled with incentives including how many times he was supposed to work out per month, etc. He felt it was disrespectful and even Davis said that Tracy worked out often, it was Vince who needed to be monitored to ensure he was always training his body the right way. He also said that if they had of offered Tmac what they were planning to offfer Vince (max deals) he would have stayed.

Who knows what would have happened but this was the opinion of one of his teammates. Someone who might have far more insight than you or I.
    Or you could say that he used a "lowball" offer from Toronto as leverage to get offers from other teams, such as, obviously, the Magic. No offense, but I don't really trust some story from a random encounter with Antonio Davis.

Look, McGrady was a 3rd year player whose scoring average went from single digits to 15ish ppg in his 3rd year before his contract expired. I doubt much haggling went on. Toronto would never have started with a max contract and clearly would be reluctant to offer that since they obviously would have to invest one in Carter. They wanted to work something out and were even willing to give him incentives for working out. I don't think that was meant to be insulting, it was meant to make his contract as valuable as possible without making it a max deal. I mean, it's stuff he should do as a pro anyway, and clearly didn't do enough of given how quickly he fell to pieces.

But that wasn't what McGrady wanted. He used the "failed" negotiations with Toronto as leverage to get a gigantic offer from Orlando, which is where he wanted to go all along.

10. Like isaacthompson liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote white men can't jump wrote: View Post
    Or you could say that he used a "lowball" offer from Toronto as leverage to get offers from other teams, such as, obviously, the Magic. No offense, but I don't really trust some story from a random encounter with Antonio Davis.

Look, McGrady was a 3rd year player whose scoring average went from single digits to 15ish ppg in his 3rd year before his contract expired. I doubt much haggling went on. Toronto would never have started with a max contract and clearly would be reluctant to offer that since they obviously would have to invest one in Carter. They wanted to work something out and were even willing to give him incentives for working out. I don't think that was meant to be insulting, it was meant to make his contract as valuable as possible without making it a max deal. I mean, it's stuff he should do as a pro anyway, and clearly didn't do enough of given how quickly he fell to pieces.

But that wasn't what McGrady wanted. He used the "failed" negotiations with Toronto as leverage to get a gigantic offer from Orlando, which is where he wanted to go all along.
    But then look what happened, he immediately jumped from 15ppg to 27ppg. He was a better basketball player than Vince when he was in his prime. Orlando put their faith in his potential, something the Raptors probably should have done. And plus it's his home town, why would you bash a guy for wanting to play for his home town? It's not his fault Orlando's management surrounded him with shitty talent. He could have done great things in Houston too had he not had those knee injuries, especially in 2007, the year the Rockets had a 22 game winning streak.

Raptors Republic All-Star Miekenstien's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1) signing hakeem
    2) drafting araujo
    3) hiring Lenny Wilkins/Kevin O'Neil, take your pick

Post Thanks / Like

1) Drafting Araujo
    2) Drafting Bargnani
    3) Hiring Colangelo

Post Thanks / Like

1) hiring Babcock as GM
    - drafting Araujo
    - VC trade

2) signing Olajuwon (dumped Keon Clark in the process)

3) BC/fans believing the Raps were a legit contender after unexpectedly winning the extremely weak division in 2006-07, which was the first domino to fall for six years of accelerated, hit-or-miss, band-aid rebuilding/building/retooling under BC

Post Thanks / Like

man i forgot all about Olajuwon. my god that was stupid.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Starter RikkJames's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Mourning/
    VC trade
    2. Hoffa
    3. Radojević
    Last edited by RikkJames; Wed Jun 12th, 2013 at 12:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote RikkJames wrote: View Post
    1. Mourning
    2. VC trade

3. Hoffa
    4. Radojević
    Can't these be considered basically one event, or item, or whatever?

18. Like Axel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Nate Robinson beat Hoffa in a Jumpball ...

Classic Hoffa....losing a jump ball to someone more than a foot shorter than him. Man that guy's slow. His arm wasn't even extended by the time Nate had already tapped the ball back.

Also, pretty surprised this is still on youtube somewhere.

Raptors Republic Starter RikkJames's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yah, thx..i remembered that right after my post...i always just remember Eric Williams and Aaron Williams from that trade. 3 and 4 could also be the same too as both big men had no impact whatsoever .

Post Thanks / Like

Default *sigh*

• Drafting Hoffa over Iggy.
    • Drafting Radojevic. Who? Exactly. 12th overall.
    • Not showing T-Mac enough attention in the game plan after Carter is drafted.
    • Hiring Rob Babcock
    • Signing Hakeem (and I love the guy, see the NBA board for details)
    • Taking on 'Zo when he publicly said he wouldn't play here; they paid him $9M to go win a championship for on another team.
    • Letting Jorge play on a busted wheel; against doctor's wishes.
    • Not trading Vince in the summer, then letting the trade demand leak through a used car salesman...
    • Hiring Kevin O'Neil due to a desire for a passionate, defensive minded coach & then firing Kevin O'Neil because the team was too defensive oriented and he was too intense.
    • Cris Childs fails at math... 85 - 82 = 4?!?!?!?!

...There are many more but I grow tired...

Raptors Republic Superstar planetmars's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Radojevic was a bummer, but trading Bender for Davis makes up for it.

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, wow this thread is bringing back some memories...remember when we gave Yogi Stewart a 6 yr, $24 million contract? We actually signed a guy who went undrafted to that kind of money?! Ah, the good ole' days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information