Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Jerry Colangelo doesn't hold a grudge! DeRozan selected to USA mini-camp

Raptors Republic Superstar enlightenment's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
    i wouldn't say Favors. Dude has mad potential
    But we aint talking potential when we are speaking about value for this USA team.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    :/
    Ill never understand what that emoticon tries to convey

:/ :/ :/

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah come on, he's better than 6th from the bottom lol fucking guys, you won't sleep on giving DD a hard time will you?

Raptors Republic Superstar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    You kidding me?

Demar is easily more valued than these players:
    Barnes, Beal, Drummond, Favors, Hayward, Gibson, Jordan, Waiters, Zeller, Walker

Putting him in the top 12

Demar is arguably more valued than these players:
    Conley, Parsons, Sanders

Putting him in the top 9.
    To be more explicit, I was not comparing DD's value to the US team but rather to individual players selected for whatever position and all of their perceived values in the league (potential, salary and stats). I thought it would be an interesting exercise since there is debate in this forum as to his value on the Raptors. I assume we shall also have divergent views with my proposal...as already!!.

Seriously though, you would NOT do a one-up swap for either Beal, Barnes, Favors? Drummond I would be thinking hard....that was a bad pass by the Raps not drafting him...but thats hindsight now. I dont think the Clips give up Jordan for DD straight up. The others on your list I concurred with.
    Last edited by Bendit; Thu Jun 13th, 2013 at 12:48 PM.

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Apollo wrote: View Post
    Well Bryan better send the man something more than a damn card this Sunday.
    Haha. This is the first thought that crossed my mind when I read the headline. Then, after looking at the quality (or lack thereof) of players on that list, it was more like... jeez, Demar BETTER be at least as good as some of those guys. If not,he's heading into career role player / bust / vastly overpaid territory.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mr.Z wrote: View Post
    Yeah come on, he's better than 6th from the bottom lol fucking guys, you won't sleep on giving DD a hard time will you?
    So, whats it going to be? Be reasonable now. lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    To be more explicit, I was not comparing DD's value to the US team but rather to individual players selected for whatever position and all of their perceived values in the league (potential, salary and stats). I thought it would be an interesting exercise since there is debate in this forum as to his value on the Raptors. I assume we shall also have divergent views with my proposal...as already!!.

Seriously though, you would NOT do a one-up swap for either Beal, Barnes, Favors? Drummond I would be thinking hard....that was a bad pass by the Raps not drafting him...but thats hindsight now. I dont think the Clips give up Jordan for DD straight up. The others on your list I concurred with.
    Okay, now that I understand your point, I can see a few names I listed that I would rather have on my team than DD. Beal, Barnes, and Drummond are not those names. Favors MAYBE.

Post Thanks / Like

So, whats it going to be? Be reasonable now. lol.
    Looking at the list of guys who have been invited I would put him 12-13th from bottom.

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't hesitate to swap DeRozan for Beal straight up.

Even as a rookie, Beal is a much more complete player (better shooter, better ball-handler, better court vision).
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

10. Like isaacthompson, ceez, ReubenJRD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit off topic but definitely a future attendee of the USA Basketball camp....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Matt52 wrote: View Post
    It is great DeMar is chosen but I would not get too excited. He was chosen last summer when the Select team were the competition for Senior Men's USA team leading up to the Olympics.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2012/...s-select-team/
    He lead the select team in scoring last year actually, which is quite impressive considering the other guys on his team, and players he's going up against.

13. Like Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate to swap DeRozan for Beal straight up.

Even as a rookie, Beal is a much more complete player (better shooter, better ball-handler, better court vision).
    You and every single GM in the league. Yes, DD is better than some of the guys on this list (not a particularly high bar with the likes of Walker and Zeller) - but not at all as compared to Beal, Favors, even Drummond (although admittedly that one is much more on potential than some of the others).

All, we should be happy that DD is getting his due to be invited .. but frankly, with this group, Id be shocked if he wasnt invited. Its just not a particularly stand out group.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote enlightenment wrote: View Post
    You kidding me?

Demar is easily more valued than these players:
    Barnes, Beal, Drummond, Favors, Hayward, Gibson, Jordan, Waiters, Zeller, Walker

Putting him in the top 12

Demar is arguably more valued than these players:
    Conley, Parsons, Sanders

Putting him in the top 9.
    I wouldn't include Barnes, Beal or Drummond on that list, especially when considering they're on rookie-scale contracts. Players like Favors, Conley, Parsons and Sanders are tough to compare, since they're different positions and bring totally different skillsets to the game (really depends on team needs).

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Someday this will be a "Man DeRozan is killing it over in (insert team here) why on Earth did we trade him?" start up a movement of #BringBackDD #DDComeHome. If DeMar isnt netting serious fail-safe talent you keep him...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    Someday this will be a "Man DeRozan is killing it over in (insert team here) why on Earth did we trade him?" start up a movement of #BringBackDD #DDComeHome. If DeMar isnt netting serious fail-safe talent you keep him...
    It's never been a conversation purely about talent. It's as much (if not more) about positional depth/duplication, cap space/management and trade value (the value other teams place on Raptors players/contracts). I think that's why there's been so many emotional responses to posters like me who have been vocal about at least investigating potential trades. Also, most trade talk is always about bringing back equal/greater talent at a different position (ie: starting PF, most often). That's why I get irked when I'm branded a "hater" or am told that I'm disrespecting DeRozan, just because I'm open to possilby trading him, if a good trade comes along.

18. Like mcHAPPY, Bendit liked this post
    Raptors Republic Hall of Famer mcHAPPY's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
    If the sight of 20 ppg excites you with minimal to no efficiency or contributions elsewhere, then yeah, you are probably right.
    "Championships are what we live for, now lets go win them."
    Tim Leiweke

Basketball has clear winners every night --
    except at the draft, which is all homework, politics and chance.

Raptors Republic Superstar Rapstor4Life's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Im open to trading him too but not just because he and Rudy kinda sorta overlap. Hes a 23 year old hard working player you have to sell him High, Hes worth a starting PF with good box game and a #1 pick/2nd round pick no less. He could bring 20ppg and at least 4 apg if he had people to pass to, never had that till Rudy Gay came to town.

Under the microscope DeMar is "Inefficient" because the it was all on him, since Rudy Gay he has been shooting above avg for NBA shooting guards, just saying. Inefficient because the team is shit, opposing teams know its game plan is to load up on DeMar we win keep him quiet we win"

Raptors Republic Superstar Puffer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A bit off topic but definitely a future attendee of the USA Basketball camp....

Love seeing these things.

Nice to see all the siblings seemingly also cheering him on.

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I honestly wouldn't be complaining about DeMar's contract when you have Fields, Bargnani, Kleiza and Gay eating up so much of the cap space too. One area being underrated about DeMar is his ability to post up as a wing player -- not many 2's can really put in work on the block.

He still has a lot of work to do but as of right now, he's a solid player who carried the Raptors through droughts many times during the season. He needs to improve his skills in terms of passing and ball handling (& to his credit, he's improved on these skills from his rookie year); but I like the fact that there are not many shooting guards out there who can consistently work on the post & I truly believe that he has value for that reason alone.

I think he's just not confident with his ball handling abilities because he never looks to turn the corner on screen and rolls. But I remember vividly that he can go coast to coast when time is running out (with his ball handling) and get to the rim -- so I feel that it is a confidence issue (when he doesn't think about just going ham down the court, he manages to get to the rim).

I definitely think he has a lot of value in the market because he has a defining skill. If he does get traded, I expect nothing less than another starter in return and/or a very good prospect.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Thread Information