Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Backup big i want to see the Raptors pursue

Raptors Republic Starter mountio's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote tkfu wrote: View Post
    SA doesn't play him for a number of reasons.

On offense:

- He can't space the floor. He's made 15 shots longer than 15 feet his entire career.
    - He's about average or below average at the rim, which is where he gets the vast majority of his shots.
    - His single biggest skill is offensive rebounding, and SA doesn't go for offensive boards as a matter of basketball philosophy--they like to get back in transition instead.

On defense:
    - He's short (6'7") and can't jump or move laterally very well (no ACLs)
    - He has only two useful skills on D: he can push power low-post players off their spots when playing behind them, and he can rebound the ball very well.
    - SA almost exclusively likes to front the post, which he's next-to-useless at, what with the (relative) shortness and the lack of jumping ability. That negates one of his two useful defensive skills.
    - His strong defensive rebounding usually isn't needed. Timmy's still very solid on the defensive glass, Splitter's a good box-out guy even if he doesn't get gaudy rebound totals, Leonard is a better rebounder at the 3 spot than anybody not named LeBron James, and they have the luxury of sending 4 guys to the defensive glass and still almost always having a one-man fast break on the floor (Parker or Ginobili), so teams tend to not to crash the offensive glass too hard against them. (They were 3rd in the league this year in defensive rebounding%.)

He's definitely an elite NBA rebounder, and a solid finisher for his size. I wouldn't be sorry to see him in a Raptor uniform, and he's real easy to cheer for because he's always working his butt off. But he's definitely a very limited player.
    Very well done. While I recognize Blair brings something to the floor .. Im not sure his negatives outweigh his positives. I put him along the same lines as Hump and Reggie. One skill players that are very limited otherwise. However, fans who love hustle and effort (understandably in Raptors land since we havent had much of it!) tend to vastly over-value these guys.

Seems like the type of guy BC would overpay in the past. Not sure Im interested, especially if it involves any decent $$ or giving up assets.

Of course, id take him for cheap if hes available, no question there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    We've got a Dejuan-Blair-with-Knees in Quincy Acy! No need for him.
    yeah i like what Acy showed when he got time.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic Veteran Nilanka's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    yeah i like what Acy showed when he got time.
    Acy actually has a semi-respectable mid range jumper. Even Bosh didn't have that in his repertoire as a rook.
    "I don't lie. I willfully participate in a campaign of misinformation." - Fox Mulder

Raptors Republic All-Star Fully's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

He'd be a decent luxury to have as part of the big man rotation but he's not someone that they should be targeting by any means.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Fully wrote: View Post
    He'd be a decent luxury to have as part of the big man rotation but he's not someone that they should be targeting by any means.
    In a rotation featuring Aaron Gray and Dejuan Blair, I'd still expect to see Gray get the bulk of the minutes, as his size allows him to matchup 1-on-1 with some of the tougher Bigs out there.
    With Amir and Quincy, we have absolutely no reason to sign Dejuan Blair.
    And speaking in terms of purely locker-room-guy or whatever, I couldn't see him being too happy coming into another situation where he's nailed to the bench.

He'd be a waste of a jersey on this team.
    In Masai we Trust.

6. Like Fully, Rapstor4Life liked this post
    Raptors Republic Veteran white men can't jump's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really hard to figure out who the Raps could and would target this summer. I really don't think Blair is going to be one of those guys. I wish I could predict whether they'll just fill the holes or be aggressive trying to add talent. For a young big that might be available depending on what his team does, I really really want the Raps to go after Tristan Thompson. And no, not because he's Canadian. I think he'd be a great fit next to JV. A somewhat similar player to Amir with a bit more talent. A bit better at making moves and finishing strong. Still raw on both ends but I like his upside.

I wish somehow that the Raptors could acquire Favors (realize he's probably 99% untouchable). A frontcourt of JV and Favors would be incredible defensively, and a nightmare on the offensive glass....drooling a bit here just thinking about it....sigh...nice dream though. But I think Thompson would give them a similar dimension. Not quite as imposing but still very athletic and physical.

As for a surefire backup, my two top options are as follows:
    -Try to work out a trade with OKC Bargs for Perkins, where Toronto gets another piece. Perk is pretty garbage now, but his character/experience is something this team badly needs. Would have a much smaller expectations though, and maybe a smaller role will help maximize what he's got left.
    -Convince free agent Elton Brand to come backup JV and Amir. Brand's merits are obvious. Tough. Veteran. Can still play PF and C. Still a half-decent offensive player. Can carry a bigger load than Perk. He'll probably want to play for a better team though, so I'm not sure Toronto would be high on his list of options.

Post Thanks / Like

i really like tristan thompson, actually. like, REALLY like him. i didn't think he'd be much more than a very good defensive pf but he's evolved into much more. a frontcourt of jv/amir/tt would be insane defensively now, but with excellent offensive potential, sooner than later.
    @jerboat

Raptors Republic All-Star e2thed's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Timofey Mozgov, even thought it would be weird having him on the team after DeMar baptized him.

Raptors Republic Superstar isaacthompson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote e2thed wrote: View Post
    Timofey Mozgov, even thought it would be weird having him on the team after DeMar baptized him.
    Just another Aaron Gray. Besides, he's already come out and said he'd prefer playing time than winning (a la being nailed to the bench in Denver), so I don't think he'd be too happy here either.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Raptors Republic Starter
    Post Thanks / Like

We should go after JJ Hickson or Spencer Hawes, personally i prefer the latter. Hawes is a big C who can rebound and block shot, a nice compliment as a backup for both Amir and Jonas.

12. Like Joey liked this post
    Raptors Republic All-Star Soft Euro's Avatar
    Utrecht, The Netherlands (Yes, that's Europe!)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ceez wrote: View Post
    Why isn't SA playing him?

Legit question, I'm honestly curious. Wasn't he starting last year? Splitter sure isn't setting the world on fire.
    I think you are seriously undervalueing Splitter. He has the best defensive rating of the Spurs (per nba.com) and is in the top 10 of the league in that category. Furthermore, if you look at his stats per 36 he's pretty close to Marc Gasol. He's amongst the best bigs in the league and you can't say that in a million years about Blair.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

While obtaining a low post threat this offseason like david west, al jefferson or paul milsap, would be nice, it would be easy to overlook the fact that weve already got a big man with a developing post game in JV whos going to be here for as long as i can look into the future.

Signing one of these guys would not only cost way too much money but also hinder JV's development as a scoring threat in the future.

The way this team is panning out is: athletic, high energy, and versatile. Seems like ujiri is keen on allowing young players to come into their own and the makeup of our roster leans towards a small ball, uptempo system which it seems like casey was derailed from doing by colangelo and bargnani's poor season.

next years offense will undoubtably be running through 1. gay & 2. DD with JV and Amir continuing to be a solid frontcourt defensive pairing, rebounding the ball and bringing high energy to the court on d. Allow the wings and guards to bust through seams and shoot and let the big guys be beasts on the glass and protect the paint. (Im expecting a huge year from lowry btw)

the team needs that same consistency from the second unit. the best option for a big man off the bench is a role player that will run the floor, rebound and play d. I think jj hickson fills the bill on numerous levels. At just 24, he had a breakout year in portland playing out of position at the 5. He fits the age group of the team and has the heart n hustle that dwane casey and this city demands. Furthermore he only made 4 million last year and could prolly be signed for a slightly less then an amir johnson type contract.

Lose bargnani/kleiza via trade/amnesty and focus on developing JV, signing hickson, and adding another scoring guard who can CREATE SHOTS for himself or others a la oj mayo. mayo also could be had for a reasonable 2-3 yr deal as he only made 4 mil last year too.

lowry/lucas/(mayo)
    Derozan/mayo/ross
    Gay/fields/(derozan)
    Johnson/hickson/acy
    jv/gray/(johnson/hickson)

Thoughts?

Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would look into Anthony Randolph (Nuggets) & Brendan Wright (Mavericks) -- both are long & mobile options at the 4 spot. Randolph is more versatile & I believe has the better offensive skill set while Wright provides better rim protection & can pass as a back-up center. Either of the two would be a solid underrated move, in my opinion.
    “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information