Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Can the Raptors realistically be a 'Championship Team' the next 5 years?

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Just on the subject of power forwards: Yes we need one. My idea of a PF for this team as constituted and/or going forward is a player who is tough/rebounds, can make his FTs and elevate himself some off the floor. Jump shot not essential. Defense first and run the floor. Think Faried of the Nuggets. Any others?

Raptors Republic All-Star ezz_bee's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    Just on the subject of power forwards: Yes we need one. My idea of a PF for this team as constituted and/or going forward is a player who is tough/rebounds, can make his FTs and elevate himself some off the floor. Jump shot not essential. Defense first and run the floor. Think Faried of the Nuggets. Any others?
    Didn't you just describe Amir's game?
    "We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

3. Like Puffer liked this post
    Raptors Republic Rookie Jon_Wade's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Bendit wrote: View Post
    So Ed Davis back to Toronto? He may actually fit in better now that Rudy Gay is here and it would just be funny to get him after trading him for Rudy.
    Whoever told you skies the limit is looking dumb because I'm 22 and i'm moonwalking on the sun.

Raptors Republic Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

"Didn't you just describe Amir's game?"

i think he pretty much did! ..... i will agree with the general concept that we don't need to blow it up and start completely over. i liked our best unit when it was on the floor and it seemed pretty darned competent but the sample size was too small to say 100% ..... you make Amir the guy and give him 34-36 minutes he could be a dbl-dbl machine......i think Rudy is light years ahead of anything we've had at the 3 for the past few seasons and i really want to see him as the main guy at the 3 with our best 5 on the floor..... Val is gonna make some mistakes on defense but hey ya gotta play him and let him learn ...Demar has showed to be a good scorer and while he's not the 3 point threat you'd like i think he's showed he can play with and compliment Rudy as opposed to strictly duplicate him ..... Lowry just needs to be himself more and hopefully the coach will let him free wheel a lot more than he did last season .... this unit got a grand total of 343 minutes together and even though Demar for instance was here for 82 games this is his highest 5 man unit total for the season by almost double the next which means .....

the bench is another matter entirely and it has way too many people in the mix for my liking since i much prefer the Bulls(even without Rose all year) + the Pacer philosophy of a 9 man unit so this is where we need to upgrade first with a better traditional big at the 4-5 and if he's better than Amir that would make it a front line to give teams nightmares .... a much better backup point guard and if he's better than Lowry well that would be an combo to give teams fits .... a 2-3 (or a couple) with a 3 point shot would be needed for that change of pace ..... upgrade a piece at a time and see how it unfolds

i think our current roster screams a traditional 5 man unit and if it was given 2600-3000 minutes together i believe it would compete very nicely on a nightly basis and with some eventual tweaking it could be a top 4 seed in the east .... now moving from there to a championship is a very very tough mission and we'd need some magician type work from our new GM but i think this route makes way more sense than blowing it up and hoping for a lottery saviour or 2

Raptors Republic All-Star Mediumcore's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

It's no coincidence that Miami has been to 3 straight finals, and before them the Lakers for 3 straight. Boston was also there for 2 straight. It takes not just talent, but elite level talent be championship contenders these days. I think we can be a good team in 5 years, maybe Indiana or Memphis sort of success but unless something drastic is done to acquire elite talent I don't see Toronto as a Championship team.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The only way we're winning a title is if we can start to consolidate assets for star players (ala Houston) and then free up cap space to sign more.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Mediumcore wrote: View Post
    It's no coincidence that Miami has been to 3 straight finals, and before them the Lakers for 3 straight. Boston was also there for 2 straight. It takes not just talent, but elite level talent be championship contenders these days. I think we can be a good team in 5 years, maybe Indiana or Memphis sort of success but unless something drastic is done to acquire elite talent I don't see Toronto as a Championship team.
    Boston was not two straight. 2008, Magic in 2009, than Boston in 2010. Two appearances in last decade, but not two straight.

Raptors Republic Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Didn't you just describe Amir's game?
    LOL, yes I did....suppose I was thinking of the "manimal" at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Why not Millsap instead of Big Al?
    #BringBackUzoh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information