Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 2011 Draft - Trade Scenario that didn't happen

  1. #1
    Raptors Republic Superstar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill, ON
    Posts
    2,852
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default 2011 Draft - Trade Scenario that didn't happen

    Here's an interesting story told by an insider involved with one of the teams. In 2011, most everyone in the league thought the Cavs were leaning toward Lithuanian center Valanciunas with the No. 4 pick.

    That included two teams behind the Cavs: Toronto at 5 and Detroit at 8. So much so, the teams had arranged a trade after they figured the 7-footer would go to the Cavs.

    A source said the Pistons were going to trade the eighth pick and guard Ben Gordon to the Raptors for Toronto's No. 5 pick and guard Jose Calderon.

    The Pistons were going to draft Tristan Thompson at 5, while Toronto would have taken Brandon Knight at 8.

    The trade was called off when the Cavs passed on Valanciunas and selected Thompson at 4. The Raptors jumped on the Lithuanian center with the next pick. Both teams appear happy with the outcomes of both players.

    http://www.news-herald.com/articles/...mode=fullstory
    So basically if the Cavs drafted Valanciunas with the 4th pick, BC would have traded Calderon and the 5th pick for Ben Gordon and the 8th pick. Cavs would have drafted Thompson and we would have drafted Knight. God, thank fucking god we fired BC. We would have been angry after the 2011 draft and even angrier now! Thank god for the Cavs for drafting Thompson rather than Valanciunas. This would have been a disaster. Talk about dodging a bullet
    Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Mon Jun 17th, 2013 at 01:08 AM.

  2. Like Sam17, footarez liked this post
  3. #2
    Raptors Republic Starter torch19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    718
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wow .....

  4. #3
    Raptors Republic All-Star Craiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,119
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Trading down in the draft usually comes with some sort of benifit to the team moving down. Cash, cap space, better player.

    But in this scenario the Raps would have moved down and gotten a worse player, who is almost the same age, and was payed more and for longer.......

    Maybe someone from MLSE leaked this so no matter what decisions Masai makes this year they all look genius compared to BC.

  5. Like Fully liked this post
  6. #4
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Well we didn't need a PF, and needed a PG of the future and help at C. I think Knight has progressed slower than people expected, but he was in discussion for the Jazz at 3 that year ... if you want to believe 'sources' and 'reports'.

    If you recall, they were high on Bismack - defensive freak with upside. As much as this article may be accurate, maybe not.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  7. #5
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Tristan Thompson was considered a reach at number 4 at the time but he has proved to be a good pick. In retrospect, here's how I would redo the 2011 lottery draft:

    1. Irving
    2. Faried
    3. Leonard
    4. Valanciunas
    5. Klay Thompson
    6. T. Thompson
    7. Walker
    8. Vucevic
    9. Harris
    10. Kanter
    11. Shumpert
    12. Montiejunas
    13. Burks

  8. #6
    Raptors Republic Starter Papa Burgundy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    560
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Irving
    Valanciunas
    Leonard
    Klay
    Faried
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

  9. #7
    Raptors Republic All-Star
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,313
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Tristan Thompson was considered a reach at number 4 at the time but he has proved to be a good pick. In retrospect, here's how I would redo the 2011 lottery draft:

    1. Irving
    2. Faried
    3. Leonard
    4. Valanciunas
    5. Klay Thompson
    6. T. Thompson
    7. Walker
    8. Vucevic
    9. Harris
    10. Kanter
    11. Shumpert
    12. Montiejunas
    13. Burks
    Whoops! I forgot Jimmy Butler. I would put him right after Klay Thompson.

  10. Like Sam17 liked this post
  11. #8
    Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote stretch wrote: View Post
    Tristan Thompson was considered a reach at number 4 at the time but he has proved to be a good pick. In retrospect, here's how I would redo the 2011 lottery draft:

    1. Irving
    2. Faried
    3. Leonard
    4. Valanciunas
    5. Klay Thompson
    6. T. Thompson
    7. Walker
    8. Vucevic
    9. Harris
    10. Kanter
    11. Shumpert
    12. Montiejunas
    13. Burks
    Solid list, altough you have to keep in mind that who drafts you, plays a big part especially in the first few years. Faried and Thompson are both amazing talents, but its crazy how those 2 teams style of play fit those guys game its crazy. You put faried in a back to basket team, or Thompson on a team that doesn't hand out licenses to shoot every night. And the Opposite is true for Kanter, you put him on a team where their 3 best players aren't big Men, maybe he makes JV and Drummond look like high schoolers.
    And Leonard, well he hit the lottery, when Pops litterally asks to trade for you, and You have that coach with those teammates, the only thing stopping you from improving every day is yourself, i'm sure they could make something solid out of derrick williams, but the poor guy is stuck with a coach who wants nothing to do with him.

    Outside of Top 5 i say draft for need, Talent is useless on the bench (ask T-Ross)

  12. #9
    Super Moderator CalgaryRapsFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,610
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Dino4life wrote: View Post
    Solid list, altough you have to keep in mind that who drafts you, plays a big part especially in the first few years. Faried and Thompson are both amazing talents, but its crazy how those 2 teams style of play fit those guys game its crazy. You put faried in a back to basket team, or Thompson on a team that doesn't hand out licenses to shoot every night. And the Opposite is true for Kanter, you put him on a team where their 3 best players aren't big Men, maybe he makes JV and Drummond look like high schoolers.
    And Leonard, well he hit the lottery, when Pops litterally asks to trade for you, and You have that coach with those teammates, the only thing stopping you from improving every day is yourself, i'm sure they could make something solid out of derrick williams, but the poor guy is stuck with a coach who wants nothing to do with him.

    Outside of Top 5 i say draft for need, Talent is useless on the bench (ask T-Ross)
    How'd that work out for the Raptors, when they drafted Araujo @ #8 instead of Iguodala?

    Drafting BPA may result in talent sitting on the bench, but there's benefit to having talented depth, plus talent is also a very tradeable asset (or makes the incumbent starter a tradeable asset).

  13. #10
    Raptors Republic Rookie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I think Bob Finnan's inside source is the video below the Raptor 2011 draft video and a little deductive reasoning.

    http://www.nba.com/pistons/video/201...134/index.html

  14. #11
    Raptors Republic Starter Dino4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    326
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    How'd that work out for the Raptors, when they drafted Araujo @ #8 instead of Iguodala?

    Drafting BPA may result in talent sitting on the bench, but there's benefit to having talented depth, plus talent is also a very tradeable asset (or makes the incumbent starter a tradeable asset).
    Pretty sure that has more to do with bad scouting, considering we're talking about a #8 pick that barely lasted 2 seasons in the league. Plus considering at the time the only franchise player we had was vince carter, looking to fill other holes was pretty much the smart thing to do, plus it took iguodala 7 years to make his first all star team, pretty sure he would have been traded before then.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •