Fired: Alvin Williams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I find it strange that your new boss (Ujiri) calls you on Sunday and you don't speak with him.

Doesn't that imply you did not call him back?

If you did try to call him back, wouldn't you say, I tried to get him back (either by phone call, text, or email)?

Comment

Speculation:

Lowry contract situation:

I was not aware of the July 15th date.

Comment

Half of this 'article' is as much as I've ever read by Doug Smith. Reading what people around here generally say about him that seems one of the perks of not living in Canada and following the local news about the Raptors. (Doesn't quite make up for not being able to go to games and sometimes watching terrible basketball at 5 am on a workday though)

Comment

I really do feel the backlash from Toronto reporters(s) on Leiweke's and Ujiri's hirings and decisions since have a lot to do with no longer being in the loop for the on record anonymous and, most likely/more importantly, the off record "this is what really is going on" discussions.

That is speculation on my part but that is what I am left to believe.

Lets review things:

New MLSE CEO: built an empire at AEG in Los Angeles that goes far beyond the sports world; was a part of Laker championships however indirectly; and was the driving force behind building 2 winners in professional hockey and soccer. Impressive resume.

New Raptors GM: Coming off Executive of the Year. Built a 57 win team with no less than .576 winning percentage over the last 3 seasons. Excited and REALLY wants to be in Toronto.

New Raptors Ast. GM: Well respected around the league and finalist for a couple GM jobs.

Yes, things are going horrible in Toronto right now. The new Raptors management have done exactly nothing in Toronto thus far (c'mon draft night!) yet receive more scorn than the man and team who missed the playoffs for 5 consecutive seasons. It makes 100% total sense and does not come off as petty in the slightest.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I really do feel the backlash from Toronto reporters(s) on Leiweke's and Ujiri's hirings and decisions since have a lot to do with no longer being in the loop for the on record anonymous and, most likely/more importantly, the off record "this is what really is going on" discussions.
              To my mind it began with the cacophony of angst at Ujiri's news conf. when he did not reveal to all his plans immediate or otherwise re the Raptors.

At this time it seems Doug Smith is the only reporter to have "broken" this news. Every other report incl Yahoo is reporting his report. This is the nature of news these days. I suspect his source was the subject himself, Alwin W. who well may have been his source on other items. The entire affair is becoming a bit of a soap opera really. It's the team makeup ultimately isnt it?

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                Why fire him? I have another question: why keep him?

He went from being an assistant coach, to director of player development and, finally, back to Philly to be a scout. It looks to me as though they were desperately trying to find something for him to do but it isn't the job of any organization to pay people money cause they're nice guys. The Raptors paud this guy millions of dollars. They don't owe him anything.

Not to be heartless (this obviously sucks for Alvin Williams) but this is not a big deal.
                This.
                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Reading through the comments of Dough Smith's blog post is hilarious.

You have about a 6:1 ratio of posts in agreement to Doug to those who are not in agreement.

Furthermore, those not in agreement are scolded and belittled. Some examples:

@J

So to you, I say, "You're trying to make it seem like Doug has it out for Leiweke. What gives?"

What gives is that if you've read the media reports since TL came to town you'll note the harshness and critical tone the local writers are using to describe his moves. In the case of Mr. Smith, he has repeatedly declared over the years that he's not a fan of the team and whether they win or lose has no real impact on his job. The problem now is that he (and the the local media) feel disrespected by this new regime because their sources (guys like Kelly and Alvin, etc.) are no longer around and I think their job has become a little harder now and it's starting to show in how they report.

Firing a scout is a non-story. It's been sensationalized here in the blog and other local media because the scout was an old player from the 2-3 year period of glory where they won one playoff series.

Everyone associated with this franchise should be asked how they contributed to winning. A scout who picks up his cheque in Philly and comes to town every now and then when required did little to help the team on the floor. It's time for these old Raptor relics to move along. AW was a great PG and was paid handsomly for it. He's not owed anything else now.

Blogger's note: You have no clue about my job or how I do it and how I operate; don't even pretend you do, please. But thanks for reading, we love the hits

Posted by: GK | June 18, 2013 at 08:07 AM

Doug Seriously.

These are the sorts of decision that a guy like Tim Leiweke was hired to make. This isn't charity. Alvin Williams was a token hire by this organization. None of you hors d'oeuvre pirates could of pulled this one off. Hence, why Tim Leiweke gets the big bucks and you get to write about his decisions late night.

We gave Alvin what we owed him, a chance to work after basketball. After that he needs to earn his keep. Sometimes as much as you want it to work out, it just does not, and a good manager must consider if the position could be better filled by another body.

However, since competence is not an issue at the Star, maybe you can hire him to help you with the Blog. Would be even better if you can match Alvin's salary with the raptors as that may give you a fresh perspective on the situation.

Blogger's note: You know, all the validity of your point was lost with the totally childish cheap shot. But thanks for reading, glad you're learning stuff, seems you could use it

Posted by: Alfred Needing | June 18, 2013 at 03:23 AM

Who's Alvin Williams?

Blogger's note: Insight like that you can't get everywhere. Yawn. At least try a bit like everyone else so I don't have to waste a second reading. But thanks

Posted by: kent | June 17, 2013 at 01:46 PM

I find it hilarious the man telling people they have no idea how to do his job is telling the man running a multi-billion dollar corporation how to do his:

Fired. Not by the general manager who never spoke to him, but by a CEO who seems hellbent on getting his fingers in every decision at some level.

It sucks.

Look, we all know that keeping people around this team forever is hard; there has been too much change, too many people discarded.
                  Keep up the hypocrisy, Doug!

Comment

I think it probably comes down to Alvin's relationship with the press, he was always known as a pretty nice dude with the media and sure you could make a case that he was a "reminder of the good times!" but everyone has to stop trying to relive the glory days at some point, it becomes just sad.
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Holly McKenzie with her 2 cents:
                      Unless she's run a team she's well over he head in trying to identify Alvin Williams as a piece worth preserving. Do anyone of us know how good a scout he is? For all we know he could have recommended multiple duds.

Someone needs to tell Holly that sometimes getting what you wish doesn't equate to things working out how you want. We all crave a team worth supporting and it's weak to then start to criticize when the hard decisions then have to be made.

Comment

According to Williams, who guested on TSN Drive with Dave Naylor Monday evening, he and incoming general manager Masai Ujiri played telephone tag Sunday before Leiweke -- the new president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment -- broke the news to him over the phone a day later.

"He just basically said that he was going to give Masai the opportunity to start with a clean slate and move forward with the organization," Williams said of that conversation. "Unfortunately my contract wasn't renewed."

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=425758
                        The end result is the same but I don't see a contract not being renewed as the same thing as being fired.

Comment

One possible angle on all the firings is that Ujiri wants to lead a very "secretive" organization. In other words, he doesn't want things like the Jose/Tyson trade a while back with the Bobcats leaking. This helps support his motivation for having a "small" front office - this way he knows exactly who leaked and when. Perhaps Alvin had trickled a few secrets? Or perhaps MU wants his own people that he trusts? In either case, Alvin's firing is not unexpected, even if it is sad to see him go.

Comment

People have issue with it because it's written that he's been fired...If from the start it stated his contract wasn't renewed it wouldn't have the same backlash. Even if there was some statement from mgmt saying they want a new direction but told the fans that they do realize the significance of Alvin and he will be involved with charities and etc fans woulda been fine with that....perhaps he wasn't a good scout, but I think a lot of people are disregarding the fact that he was one of the few former Raptors that wanted to be associated in some capacity.

Players in all sports have strong bonds with teams they were a part of. I do not know for certain but either former players may be hesitant to approach the organization for some type of role with the team. Giving positions to former players allows them to feel a part of something for the rest of their lives. While fans get to see their organization care for their players that they had rooted for in their playing days.

This may have been the best decision for mgmt but I believe it could have been handled differently. For such a young franchise to build a brand they need people like Alvin to want to work for them, to help build a strong culture fans and players will want to be associated with.

Comment

Doug Smith is so far up the ass of so many Raptors players, coaches and GM he should be a proctologist. Doug is not a reliable source of information and he needs to go too.....

Comment

Unfortunately the only thing the quartet are offering are vague implications bordering on passive aggressiveness about his intangible value to the organization.

Despite their 'uproar' I've yet to read anything from the quartet with a real tangible consequence of this decision.

I am not claiming to be more closely plugged in to the Raptors or the NBA - or even plugged in at all - than these guys.

What I am saying is any bit of critical thinking shows:
                                1) this is a non-issue and Smith decided to make it an issue,
                                2) the new regime likely aren't as chummy as the old with local media and it is showing in some "reporter's" writing - which in my opinion screams as 100% total unprofessional #hack hence the "reporter's",
                                3) Alvin Williams collecting a pay cheque in Philly appears to have created little to no value for the Raptors organization or its fan base.
                                I like that reference 'reporter'.

Comment

Working...
                                X